IBG Models Otter 1/35

Jasper dog

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

At least you got the cammo on before the A/B played up. It's looking really good.

John.

Thanks John, gave me a chance to work on the JP, dont like abandoning kits!

Still need to unmask at some point to find what has come adrift!

Cheers

Darryl 

On 13/12/2019 at 07:31, Jasper dog said:

Shuffling along, interior pretty much all together. spacer.png

Assembled, painted and basic weathering 

spacer.png

The weakest / most fragile being the seat backs, will need to be particularly careful not to knock or be to rough in handling, 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even with doors open i can't imagine much being visible once all assembled. 

Surprising how little there is to show, considering how long it has taken to get this far. Or could just be me being really slow, however i only tend to get 30-40 mins per day to play.

As this is a fairly slow build, being tempted to dig out something Tamiya or similar just to keep things moving along.....

I've a Dragon Sherman or two but they don't fulfil the quick turnaround requirements so they might wait till the Otter is done.

Next job here is to get the body together to a position where it can be painted. 

Thanks to everyone that had taken the time to look in and leave comment, really helps to keep the mojo up.

Cheers 

Darryl 

Great looking interior Darryl.  Nice build.  Something that I would like to try next (something without tracks!).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Great looking build Darryl.

19 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Great looking interior Darryl.  Nice build.  Something that I would like to try next (something without tracks!).

Thanks Andy, I'm enjoying this is in a peculiar sort of way, not something thing I'd have gone looking but....

It's not a shake the box sort of kit but nothing too taxing. The only thing to watch out for, as of yet, is the fragility of some aspects and trying to get the chassis square and level. (Which I doubt I have, btw).

If you're after something without tracks, which is understandable after playing with Ind-links. (I know lots of people don't like them but rubber band or ds tracks are a lot easier). 

There are lots of armoured cars, wagons etc around, quite fancy the new Tamiya M3 Scout Car for one.  Probably go for a mainstream manufacturer rather than something tricky, so much more relaxing!

Cheers 

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Thanks 1

After the airbrush coughed and spluttered all over the show decided the tamiya buff was going to an all over affair rather than just selected areas, I'll include a photo but camera hasn't really picked up the affect.

spacer.png

It's just toned everything down a bit and given a dusty finish.

Next up intial panel line wash, and grime before adding the various bits and bobs like steps etc.

If it's of use to anyone the new nozzle wasn't the cure, I did help the spray pattern which due to the worn tip was one sided. In the end a big strip down, beyond where they include tools for. Removed the body section the nozzle screws into and discovered a few years of muck/gunk etc and hey-presto! 

So instead of a decent modelling session I got to; strip, clean, repeat... an airbrush.  

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Annoying airbrush! ... when you think everything is under control, you lose a whole modeling session trying to know what's wrong ...:angry:

Chees Darryl 👍

Couldn't agree more,  but we live and learn.

Could probably strip it down blindfolded now!

Cheers

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seams a while since I last added to this thread. I've not been idle, just whatever I did at the wash and early weathering stage didn't show up well on photos. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Panel line wash followed by dust wash.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Matt coat done, note how most of dust wash affect disappears, particularly in the photos. 

For a break did a quick build, otb, alongside the existing projects. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did two of these, storage was a big issue for the stash etc.  Otb build, no weathering applied! (Nice to have a build done in less than an hour).

Back to the Otter, doors etc that had been masking the interior have been removed and some of the small details added, (lamps, steps etc) found the source of the rattle. Loose sest base  could have been worse.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Started with a few scuffs, scratches and chips to the paintwork, done with a combination of v-dark brown and a sponge and brush followed up with a pencil over worn edges.

spacer.png

spacer.pngDoors and hatches refitted, along with the Boyes atr, starting to look something like...

Problem is handling, once off its stand, so many bits to knock off, particularly if you're ham-fisted.

Need to crack on and get this knocked off, shouldn't say that, finished!

Thanks for looking. 

Darryl 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Did two of these, storage was a big issue for the stash etc.  Otb build, no weathering applied! (Nice to have a build done in less than an hour).

Sorry Darryl, but you've made a load of mistakes there. It's the wrong shade of red, the rivets are in the wrong place and the panel lines are missing. BUT.............the Otter is looking really good. It's a beggar when you do all that weathering and it doesn't show up properly in the photos. I have the same problem. Next time I'm in Blightly, I'm going to have to get myself a light box. BTW. Where did you get the stand from?

John.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Sorry Darryl, but you've made a load of mistakes there. It's the wrong shade of red, the rivets are in the wrong place and the panel lines are missing. BUT.............the Otter is looking really good. It's a beggar when you do all that weathering and it doesn't show up properly in the photos. I have the same problem. Next time I'm in Blightly, I'm going to have to get myself a light box. BTW. Where did you get the stand from?

John.

Hi John, tell me about it, apparently the correct colour, for diehard aficionados is blue!

The stands/turntables are Tamiya and came together in the one box, really handy.

spacer.png

Thanks Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Little more progress,  nearly all odds and ends attached, aerial, tools, etc. More importantly body dropped onto chassis, got a little carried away and threw a little Tamiya extra thin at it and cemented them together. Looks worryingly like progression towards completion!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whilst on a roll added wheels, all four wheels touch the ground.....nearly!😉

• Like 6

Cracking on with this now, weathering done with pigments, generally going for dry, grubby, dirty look as opposed to caked in mud. Not sure about the spare wheel..spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

How long those mirrors will last is anyone's guess, if I did another I'd be tempted to replace with wire and drill a much deeper locating hole to secure them. It's at the point where its tricky to pick up, lots of fragile appendages.

Just a few spots to touch up and the etch sand channel to paint and secure. Some careless oik broke the bipod legs for the bren so tough!

Still not sure about the colour as the Vallejo light mud looks like to pale green to me.

Thanks for looking

Darryl

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Still not sure about the colour as the Vallejo light mud looks like to pale green to me.

Maybe you got a duff bottle. If you look at my Kiwi Sherman, that was painted with Vallejo Panzer Aces Light Mud..

John.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clive_t said:

An amazing result, I'd be over the moon with that :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive, has taken a while but I'm fairly pleased,. You can always spot

things that could have been done better but that's all part of this game!

Few bits to finish off asap.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Maybe you got a duff bottle. If you look at my Kiwi Sherman, that was painted with Vallejo Panzer Aces Light Mud..

John.

Thanks John, I did wonder as it looks quite different to the ak real colour bottle I also have. Then again, your Sherman Light Mud looks different to both....:shrug:

4 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Nice job all round Darryl.... the interior weathering the dust and weathering on the exterior.......really nice......:yes:

Regards

Simon.

Hi Simon, thanks, just seams to have come together nicely towards the end, even with my early reservations. 

Guess I can't keep putting off some of the less than straight forward builds. Can't keep hiding in the comfort zone that is Tamiya and Meng etc.

That Scammel Pioneer and the Fries Kran won't build themselves....:wacko:

Thanks again, much appreciated. 

Darryl 

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great build, stunning paintwork - result outstanding model very well done!

Roger

Thanks Roger, really nice of you to say so. Taken a while to get around to a base for it but think it has worked out ok.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

very nice.... I am about to start to build this for the Canadian GB (so going Canadian markings) - not sure whether to get the Black Dog resin set (or just replace the wheels???) - what colour for a Canadian vehicle?

• Thanks 1

On 09/06/2022 at 19:52, robw_uk said:

very nice.... I am about to start to build this for the Canadian GB (so going Canadian markings) - not sure whether to get the Black Dog resin set (or just replace the wheels???) - what colour for a Canadian vehicle?

Hi Rob, as I recall my build was oob, I do believe replacement wheels are available and are supposed to be a fair improvement on the originals. As for colour, I've no idea unfortunately, I'd guess same as a Brit one so depends upon theatre and time frame.

Nice kit though and goes together without issues, it was a relief to find all four wheels touching the ground though!

Good luck.

• Like 1