1/48 Sea Harrier - Airfix

Andy350

Think I dropped in on a bit early? Stumbled with the chair I'm dragging all the way from first thread in the WIP section.

Both my popcorn AND IPA brew have fallen on the floor. :crying:

Too eager whenever there's a SHar build - no guests no progress piccies yet.

Yeh, there ain't...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Think I dropped in on a bit early? Stumbled with the chair I'm dragging all the way from first thread in the WIP section.

Both my popcorn AND IPA brew have fallen on the floor. :crying:

Too eager whenever there's a SHar build - no guests no progress piccies yet.

Yeh, there ain't...

Cheers,

Unc2

Lol.  I've made a start, just some initial sanding. I'm a beginner, so don't expect anything that you would normally see here. 🤔

12 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Can't believe I beat @Corsairfoxfouruncle  to the bar! Howdy, Uncle- was that your popcorn I stepped on  coming in? I do love Sea Harriers in any scale, so will sit quietly and watch the goings-on.

Mike

:frantic::drunk::rofl2::shutup: Hello Mike... Im not so sure about this...Ive had two harriers go blooie on me in the last year. I'm a bit gun-shy around any Harriers right now. Maybe i’ll hide back in the bar and sedate myself with Jameson and Guinness. :drink:

• Haha 1

Always happy to see a Harrier getting some attention and all the more so when it's a SHAR :wub:  The Airfix kit may be an old one but it looks the part and shouldn't hold any hidden horrors to catch you out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Lol.  I've made a start, just some initial sanding. I'm a beginner, so don't expect anything that you would normally see here. 🤔

Andy,

It's going to be an awesome build, you'll see. 

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Howdy, Uncle- was that your popcorn I stepped on  coming in?

:lol: Howdy, Mike

That was all mine. Considered picking it all up from the floor - especially the brew - but then I thought it was going to be quite an embarrassing show for anyone entering the thread.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Does the leading wing edge that joins to the fuselage look ok, it doesn't seem to line up correctly.

No, not good, I'll try to find a photo that illustrates that area properly.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

No, not good, I'll try to find a photo that illustrates that area properly.

The trailing edge fits well so I'm not sure why this is like this. 

Edited by Andy350

7 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

The trailing edge fits well so I'm not sure why this is like this. 

It's not as bad as I'm perhaps making it sound as a step does exist at the leading edge there but the join should be a smooth one. Here's the best photo I can find of that area at the moment,

20191118_194758

Your exhaust nozzle colour looks good :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

It's not as bad as I'm perhaps making it sound as a step does exist at the leading edge there but the join should be a smooth one. Here's the best photo I can find of that area at the moment,

20191118_194758

Your exhaust nozzle colour looks good :thumbsup:

Thanks Col, that is a relief. I need to fill and sand the joins big time. I guessed with the exhausts, I used gun metal with a thinned down rust colour from Vellejo. 

5 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks Col, that is a relief. I need to fill and sand the joins big time. I guessed with the exhausts, I used gun metal with a thinned down rust colour from Vellejo. 

Filler and sanding is an unfortunate requirement with this kit but preperation work is always rewarded at the painting stage.

That simple colour combination has worked well for you :) 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

Filler and sanding is an unfortunate requirement with this kit but preperation work is always rewarded at the painting stage.

That simple colour combination has worked well for you :) 

Thanks again, I don't suppose you have a pic of the undercarriage?  I'm finding different colours for this build. 

Hello Andy !

Anymore Shar or Harrier is always welcome !

I'll send some pics too I'm making one too !

So, I'll take a place at the bar with my cousin !! cannot let a Corsair fan alone in a fist fight with guiness and Jameson !!

if you don't mind it Andy !

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:frantic::drunk::rofl2::shutup: Hello Mike... Im not so sure about this...Ive had two harriers go blooie on me in the last year. I'm a bit gun-shy around any Harriers right now. Maybe i’ll hide back in the bar and sedate myself with Jameson and Guinness. :drink:

Helping hand is on cousin !!

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Andy,

It's going to be an awesome build, you'll see. 

:lol: Howdy, Mike

That was all mine. Considered picking it all up from the floor - especially the brew - but then I thought it was going to be quite an embarrassing show for anyone entering the thread.

Cheers,

Unc2

Let the popcorn absorbing the beer Uncle

Beer flovoured pop corn could be a good recipe....

Worth trying to sell it worldwide...

Just sayin'

CC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks again, I don't suppose you have a pic of the undercarriage?  I'm finding different colours for this build. 

Bit of a mix in there. For the bays and door inner sides everything is white. Well, dirty white. While the legs and wheel hubs are a gloss pale blue-grey.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Let the popcorn absorbing the beer Uncle

Beer flovoured pop corn could be a good recipe....

Worth trying to sell it worldwide...

Just sayin'

Yeh, that might have as well been the case had Mike not stepped on my popcorn on his way in... :weep: 

As for the brew, I should have wiped it off the floor with my hair like Homer Simpson did with his spilled Minoxidil :rofl2:

27 minutes ago, Col. said:

Filler and sanding is an unfortunate requirement with this kit

Uh-huh... but then again, so is with that new-release Kinetic kit anyway... :banghead:

You're doing a nice work, Andy! Keep it up that way.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Uh-huh... but then again, so is with that new-release Kinetic kit anyway... :banghead:

True but then again think of all that lovely fine detail we get to obliterate while filling and sanding on the more expensive Kinetic kit ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

True but then again think of all that lovely fine detail we get to obliterate while filling and sanding on the more expensive Kinetic kit ;) 

I have to be careful when sanding, I can lose detail, but rather lose detail thank have too many seams from joins. 

• Like 1

Am I correct that the front and rear exhausts on a Harrier are different colors, as one is basically cold air and the other is hot jet exhaust? Are the fronts painted and the rear burnt metal, or am I thinking of something else? With that being said, yours look great, Andy- almost too hot to touch!

Mike

I think Unk didn't get all of his spilled brew wiped up, as I slipped and almost broke my tailbone! :drunk:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1