1/48 Sea Harrier - Airfix

Andy350

5 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I tend to be cautious about FS paint code...

It's oftenly not right.

Using the name of the paint is easier, EDSG it is.

Now, some of these Shar have been hastily brush painted !! That's also funny to reproduce...

Raising eyebrows kits are my fav ones...🤣

Sincerely.

CC

That's lucky, I brushed painted mine 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Not sure where FS36375 would be going??  Looks like Light compass ghost grey.

My best guess would be the 'winders but can't check my reference books while at work :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is not to much that I can do with the paint finish now, this was always going to be one of my learning builds.  Happy with how the nose cone went.  Need to weather the nozzles, cover in gloss before applying the decals tomorrow.  Oh, not forgetting the wing under carriage.  Then, tidy the work area!

49111050726_903db60f48_b.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andy350 said:

There is not to much that I can do with the paint finish now, this was always going to be one of my learning builds.  Happy with how the nose cone went.  Need to weather the nozzles, cover in gloss before applying the decals tomorrow.  Oh, not forgetting the wing under carriage.  Then, tidy the work area!

49111050726_903db60f48_b.jpg

You might want to paint the sidewinders light gull grey with a yelllow band a few  3-4 mm behind the head and a brown band on the rocket motor. (both 2"wide  in real life). The 9L was not white.

Selwyn

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Selwyn said:

You might want to paint the sidewinders light gull grey with a yelllow band a few  3-4 mm behind the head and a brown band on the rocket motor. (both 2"wide  in real life). The 9L was not white.

Selwyn

Damm it!!!  I found a few pics online, so many slight variations.  off all the pics this one seems fairly standard.  Problem is, now that it's in place I will struggle to pain the lines.

sharfrs124id_5.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, corsaircorp said:

I tend to be cautious about FS paint code...

It's oftenly not right.

Using the name of the paint is easier, EDSG it is.

Now, some of these Shar have been hastily brush painted !! That's also funny to reproduce...

Raising eyebrows kits are my fav ones...🤣

Sincerely.

CC

FS codes are likely to be more correct than colour names. That said, BS codes are the correct thing to use for (most) British aircraft.

As for brush painted aircraft... Good luck replicating brush strokes that do not look out of scale.

Jens

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

It certainly wasn't LGG either. Lima Sidenwinders are/were FS36375 light ghost grey.

Jens

1 minute ago, Jens said:

It certainly wasn't LGG either. Lima Sidenwinders are/were FS36375 light ghost grey.

Jens

My typo! When I worked on them in the RAF we touched them up in British Light aircraft Grey as we couldn't get FS paints so they could be slightly patchy!

Selwyn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jens said:

FS codes are likely to be more correct than colour names. That said, BS codes are the correct thing to use for (most) British aircraft.

As for brush painted aircraft... Good luck replicating brush strokes that do not look out of scale.

Jens

I'm not attempting to brush paint to scale!

• Haha 3