1/48 Sea Harrier - Airfix

Andy350

That is a rather tasty SHAR 2 but then again the Kinetic kit is very different to the Airfix one by a few decades and benefits from the advances in moulding technology and expectations. If your skillset expands or advances with every model you make then you'll always be heading in the right direction Andy ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, Andy350 said:

Thanks Pappy, where did the cooler air come from again?  I assumed that the jet exhaust went through both of the directional things!!

G'day Andy, paraphrasing Wikipedia, the front nozzles direct compressor stage air (which is relatively cooler but still hot from the compression process) and the rear nozzles direct combustion stage air which is several hundred degrees hotter with a 60/40 bias.

Jet engines work by taking in air and compressing it to increase the mass of the airflow before adding fuel and burning it to create  thrust. Early jet engines were pure tubojets but as engines advanced, a secondary turbine was added to tthe exhaust stage touse the exhaust efflux to assist in turning the intake compressor, increasing engine efficiency,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Andy, paraphrasing Wikipedia, the front nozzles direct compressor stage air (which is relatively cooler but still hot from the compression process) and the rear nozzles direct combustion stage air which is several hundred degrees hotter with a 60/40 bias.

Jet engines work by taking in air and compressing it to increase the mass of the airflow before adding fuel and burning it to create  thrust. Early jet engines were pure tubojets but as engines advanced, a secondary turbine was added to tthe exhaust stage touse the exhaust efflux to assist in turning the intake compressor, increasing engine efficiency,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy 🙂

10 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

I really need to stop cutting of tiny clear pieces which will be used at a later stage and leaving them on a messy desk!!! aaarrgggggghhhh!!

Uh oh. What's got lost?

16 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Nothing too serious, the landing light on the forward landing gear.  I will paint with silver at the end.  

You can always make another one from a piece of the clear sprue. Or ask in the 'Wanted' section ;) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Col. said:

You can always make another one from a piece of the clear sprue. Or ask in the 'Wanted' section ;) 

I tried very hard to make something, but I failed!!!  Good point, I will try in the wanted section.

• Like 1

Hey Andy, looking good so far, always nice to see an on board vacuum cleaner!

Just for reference on the exhaust nozzles, these are natural metal, I don't ever recall them being painted, even on earlier iterations of the Harrier. And yes they do only vent cold air. The Pegasus engine is a "by-pass" type. The initial stages are a large fan which compress a large volume of air, this is the Low Pressure section and sits forward of the forward nozzles. Some of that compressed air will enter the hot section (also known as High pressure section) and this is basically a conventional jet engine and exhausts out the rear nozzles. The hot section is situated between the two nozzles. Any air that doesn't enter the hot section  is vented out of the front nozzles...…. hope that makes sense!

Keep up the great work!

Bob

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:02 PM, Dave Fleming said:

The one on the box is Dark Sea Grey, the second scheme (77) is Medium Sea Grey over Camouflage grey  (The FA2 in the pic is also Medium Sea Grey, so  you were on the right liness). Not sure why Airfix chose M22 for that scheme, it's too dark.

Front nozzles were painted up until about 83/4, after that they were left in natural metal

Just to reiterate until the FA2 came in so 93 -94 ish the colour was extra dark sea grey post that medium sea grey except for ZA176 and one other I think which initially kept the EDSG.

Front nozzles just depends some painted some natural.. .I guess from depth at St Athan  painted and when they started cracking anything that was supplied painted or otherwise.

One day I might work out how to put pics on here and I can bore you all with Shar and Sea King pics

• Like 2

Added some colour, looks very dark, I suppose it is EDSG.  I really need to invest in a new airbrush and compressor, just applying this required the airbrush to be stripped and cleaned three times.  Also, the finish has a sandy look right now, hopefully with more coats it will smooth over.

49095571013_31858ebc33_b.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, junglierating said:

Just to reiterate until the FA2 came in so 93 -94 ish the colour was extra dark sea grey post that medium sea grey except for ZA176 and one other I think which initially kept the EDSG.

Front nozzles just depends some painted some natural.. .I guess from depth at St Athan  painted and when they started cracking anything that was supplied painted or otherwise.

One day I might work out how to put pics on here and I can bore you all with Shar and Sea King pics

That would never be boring, but metal front nozzles were seen on SHARs from about the mid 80-s (e.g. in 1988 https://www.airhistory.net/photo/7158/XZ498 )

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p626913550/h4661DE97#h4661de97

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

That would never be boring, but metal front nozzles were seen on SHARs from about the mid 80-s (e.g. in 1988 https://www.airhistory.net/photo/7158/XZ498 )

19 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

That is a really good reference photo for me thanks Dave.

Rather than get down in the dumps with the airbrush side of things, I've decided to brush the model now, with the firs coat it looks a little less sandy, I did this because I used a brush on the fuel tanks and they came out really well.

Ps I will have to pain the exhausts again, but that's fine.

49099154653_030919a0b2_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Oooh theres a good looking rating in that picture .. someone stalking me 🤔🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

Does anyone know the colour here in what looks like white?  I've missed this off.

49099341423_87c34c72ee_o.jpg

Mate its just a reflection I  believe....trust me the u/c main bodies were a semi gloss light grey similar I guess to LAG or perhaps Gull grey.I guess it depends how faccudious you want to be. Tended to get dirty quite quickly especially rear u/c

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Mate its just a reflection I  believe....trust me the u/c main bodies were a semi gloss light grey similar I guess to LAG or perhaps Gull grey.I guess it depends how faccudious you want to be. Tended to get dirty quite quickly especially rear u/c

lol, I went with Neutral Grey, a bit dark, but I didn't have anything lighter, I used have just picked up the right colour.  I'm not too concerned, but that might change later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks CC, it looks like I am going with this from your docs.  Not sure where FS36375 would be going??  Looks like Light compass ghost grey.

49099932002_a90f99ffa9_b.jpg

I tend to be cautious about FS paint code...

It's oftenly not right.

Using the name of the paint is easier, EDSG it is.

Now, some of these Shar have been hastily brush painted !! That's also funny to reproduce...

Raising eyebrows kits are my fav ones...🤣

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1