1:35 APC from Aliens - yes the very rare Halcyon kit!!! [COMPLETE!]

So after my dismal failure with the RAF F-16 from Independence Day, I've decided to pull out from the stash a kit I've been wanting to build for several years, namely this:

DSC_3414.JPG

This kit makes hen's teeth look commonplace! I've had it for several years since the time I built the equally rare Dropship in a previous Group Build back in 2012.

Here are the contents of the box

DSC_3415.JPG

Note: at some point in the past I sourced some replacement resin wheels with the correct tread pattern. If memory serves I got these from someone one the Eagletransporter forum, but its so long ago I can't remember the details. More on these later I'm sure! Finally some extra bits to complete the diorama idea I've got

DSC_3416.JPG

Now we are getting into the realms were rare becomes even rarer! These are some rsin figures made by AEF Designs in the 90s and here we have Vasquez with heavy weapon pulse rifle, Hudson and Cpl HIcks. My aim is to make a diorama of the next scene along from my previous dropship diorama, namely the deployment once the APC arrives at the complex on LV-426. I'm going to have to use some artistic licence here because I believe the first out of the APC were Drake and Vasquez, both carrying the heavy weapons, but since I have never managed to find a Drake  figure, I'm going to go with these three deploying instead.

Hmm, just discovered that my PC's DVD drive won't play my old DVD of Aliens to screencap the scene... hmpf!

Speaking of technical difficulties, please bear with me if images in any of my threads are a bit flaky lately, my hosting company insisted on upgrading the version of PHP being used on my sites to a version that breaks the gallery software I've been using for almost 10 years! I'm in the process of configuring a cloud sever with the correct version of PHP to bring everything back to life, but its a non-trivial exercise that bores me to tears! 

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 15

Well I managed to get a version of the movie to play and screencapped this:

deploy1.jpg

So I was wrong, its not Drake and Vasquz deploying first, but it appears to be Frost with his back to us, then Vasquz then Crowe (at least thats what Amazon overloay claims). Behind Crowe came Apone. So at least I have Vasquez and so Hicks and Hudson will have to suffice!

The first task is done, cutting the moulded side door out:

DSC_3417.JPG

Now since I built both the Dropship and USS Sulaco I've treated myself to this marvellous publication:

DSC_3418.JPG

which is still available at Amazon (no link, go look for it yourself!) Its a fabulous book that has blueprints for everything from the Nostromo to Prometheus (less said about the latter the better!) and the reference pages on the APC are superb (photos deliberately a bit rubbish to avoid copyright claims :) )

DSC_3419.JPG

DSC_3420.JPG

The main issue we have with the APC internal is of course there is no way they'd all fit inside the actual vehicle. For those who don't know, this was a converted aircraft tractor sourced from Heathrow:

tractor.jpg

It was a Hunslet Air Towing Tractor, Model ATT77. It contained remote starting equipment for the 747 and could be driven from either end, with both driver compartments able to elevate to facilitate reversing under the nose of aircraft. The raise mechanism was pneumatic as was the clutch and gear change. It was claimed at the time to be the most powerfull vehicle in the world on 4 wheels!

ATT77+Tech+print+A.jpg

Its original weight of 72 tons was reduced to 28 by removing the lead ballast, lead lined wheels and 4 inch steel plating. it was then dressed up with 1/4 inch steel to make the APC.

aliensapc29vs_6889.jpg

aliensapc108ri_5149.jpg

AliensAPC6.jpg

My plan is to add SOME internal detail that represents at least part of what would have been seen inside the APC and possibly a light or two... I've got a small base in preparation which could accept a couple of coin batteries and a switch underneath with a bit of luck!

Everything is in place so time to get on with it!!! :)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Dam I’m going to have to finish my now. I only started it 27 years ago. Just waiting for me to be bothered to paint it! My brother gave up asking when it would be complete 13 years ago, just mumbled something about “dog meat”. 

• Haha 3

I'll be following this one with great interest! I remember reading some time ago that the Halcyon APC had some interesting fit-issues as she went together. Has anyone noticed how the Space Marines are able to stand up when they're inside the APC, but when outside the vehicle, they are taller than the fighting-unit? I guess that is some of the old Hollywood magic at play.

There's a very good 90 minute documentary on Youtube about the making of Aliens, It is obvious that the experienced British crews and the brash, young Canadian director did not get on at all well (Cameron later vowed that he would never make another movie in the UK). Apparently, the British tradition of tea-breaks twice daily sent Cameron up the wall. Everything about the movie was done in a massive rush (which won't have helped the on-set tension one little bit). Cameron came close to firing his picture editor and this was the fella who cut "2001: A Space Odyssey"! The British film-crew didn't like working 18 hour days and the director thought they were too laid-back for their own good.  

Good luck with the build, my friend, 

Chris.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

tractor.jpg

It was a Hunslet Air Towing Tractor, Model ATT77. 

Built by The Hunslet Engine Company about 2 miles from where i live no less. The company originally built steam engines then designed and built diesel and electric engines for mines and quarries etc. Still in business too. They built many steam engines that went the world over and many are still running, including one on the Middleton Railway in Leeds which is the worlds oldest railway still in operation.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

Its good to be back enjoying building something again - recently I have struggled to maintain interest in the models I've built and have ended up abandoning three in a row that I lost interest in due to various reasons. So now its about getting the initial shape of the APC put together to support the work on the interior. First the floor and it has this interesting pit of moulding...

DSC_3421.JPG

So since this will be covered by a piece of textured plastic card, it will have to come off!!! This is what will comprise the floor of the APC - not sure if you can see it in the white but this plastic card has industrial style floor hatching which will make a good surface I reckon

DSC_3422.JPG

Next we have the wheels as I mentioned before. I put together one of the wheels from the kit to compare with the resin ones so here they are 

DSC_3423.JPG

What is most noticeable is the tread pattern - the kit ones are straight cut whereas the resin ones are more accurate angular, compare with the earlier pic of the real thing

AliensAPC6.jpg&key=ed8e8e5f9f6ef12cd9ca7

DSC_3424.JPG

Finally for today, here is the floor with the two sides added along with some of the front panels

DSC_3426.JPG

This now gives me an idea of how much needs to be detailed inside that will be visible from the door, so combine that with the blue prints and pics I'll screencap, this will give me the basis for the scratch building I need to do. Can't wait!!!!!

• Like 9

Great start and fascinating info on the construction of the ‘real’ APC

Brings back memories from when I first saw Aliens - on TV at Stoneleigh on the Saturday night of the nationals weekend, probably 1988, and there were kids in my class at school on the Monday making holes in their fingers trying to do Bishop’s knife trick with their compasses. Wanted to build the Halcyon drop ship for a while back then, but never got round to buying one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This has got to be worth following!!!!!

I've a couple of these in the stash, and knowing how blown-away I was with your Dropship, it should be my inspiration to bump it up the 'to-do' list.   I've also a few AEF marines to add to the mix, and my son is in the process of designing/printing some replacement wheels.  The plan is developing as I type........

Just keep giving it some of that 'Kallisti -magic'...... 😉

Hutch

• Like 2

This evening has been about research for the interior. To this end I HAD to watch the movie again - well at least the part of the movie where they arrive on planet... "In the pipe five by five". Due to the problems I have playing the DVD on the PC, I've rented it from Amazon for 30 days (£0.99) which means you get their X-ray overlay on the movie which CAN be useful at times but one of the most irritating things is they list the goofs! I HATE goofs, I want to suspend my disbelief and be transported so someone pointing out

<start nasal whine voice>If you look carefully at this bit of the screen you can see a reflection of the camera<end nasal whine voice>

I DON'T CARE!!! I just want to enjoy the movie!!! 

Okay rant over... so I managed a couple of new screenshots, specifically inside the APC: Here is the command console which is located directly opposite the exit door

console1_001.jpg

I lightened this a bit as its quite dark in the movie as you can see from the following which I forgot to lighten before uploading...

interior1.jpg

This shows the rear compartment, some of which will be visible from the door.  The final screencap for now is of the front of the APC which becomes important later...

front1.jpg

So today's main job on the model has been to try to get the front built up. The parts the provide don't fit very well - there are two triangular panels that are supposed to attach the angled piece in front of the windows with the gun platform, but neither are the right shape or fit so int he end I scratch built a panel and added a bit of filler

DSC_3428.JPG

When that all dries I'll sand it back and make sure its a good surface. As you can see, this green plastic is not very good at taking sanding, it generates a lot of dust and will need some fine surface polishing later. The final job for this evening was to start making improvements to the existing castings, namely around what are supposed to be engine intakes/exhausts on the port side, but which in reality are directly behind the command console. These are moulded grilles and look pretty awful so....

DSC_3427.JPG

Out came the Tamiya drill - the first time I've used it since I bought and built it earlier in the autumn, and along with a razor saw and some round files...

DSC_3430.JPG

I'll need to cut some mesh to fit in the holes and then cover the back again. Thats a job for tomorrow...

• Like 8

Glad to have you along!

Bit of progress from yesterday - the base has been given a coat of black/grey claycrete - it looks very grey in this pic because of the flash. The APC will be posed across the diagonal with more space outside the open doorway - in the sort of angle shown here

DSC_3431.JPG

The claycrete will take about a week to dry and shrink a bit, but its adnatage will be that I can wet it again later and the surface will be manipulable so I can add tyre tracks and a hole for the electrical connection to power the lights. While I was doing this I took a closer look at the holes I cut out for the grilles and noticed that the plastic here is quite thick, yet the grilles need to be quite close to the outer skin

DSC_3436.JPG

So I decided to cut this whole area out and replace it with plastic card like this

DSC_3437.JPG

and then I realised I didn't have any square mesh in the spares box! I've now ordered some so that will get done in a few days one it arrives. I've also drilled out the two exhaust pipes seen above so they will have extra depth. For the lower grilles next to those exhausts I'm happy to put the grilles further back and leave a gap.

I think I should start looking at the lighting for the front of the vehicle next as I was able to sand the filler last night and it looks good, although I should probably give it a blast of primer to check. I drilled out a piece of the backplate at the front so that there is space for wiring etc. I'll need to construct a cradle for the LEDs to sit in for the headlights...

We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!!

• Like 9

The results of work over the weekend... Yesterday I took a trip to Hobbycraft to pick up some extra balsa wood to extend the height of the base. I also picked up some black artist acrylic paint for the base as well and one of their cheapo hot glue guns. So armed with these materials was able to build up the edge of the base to give more clearance to put the electrics under the base, so here it is with a slathering of Tamiya butty down the sides to even up the join.

DSC_3445.JPG

Inside in the far corner is the  battery plate and switch I had build a few years back when I originally intended to light the Bandai Showman's Engine. This is glued in with the hot glue gun!

DSC_3444.JPG

The base itself has had an overpaint of black which makes it look better, it will get some dusting to give it a better texture and probably a gloss coat to try to simulate the wetness from the rain

DSC_3442.JPG

The Tamiya pully has since been sanded down - what a bloody mess! I'm usually a user of Squadron white, but thought I'd give the Tamiya a go since I have accumulated quite a bit of it lately. Back to the APC and the engine vents have had their grilles installed and I'm very happy with how they came out. Now just to paint them so it doesn't all clog up!

DSC_3438.JPG

Next a support for the headlight LEDs has been made to fit into the front compartment

DSC_3440.JPG

There is a bracket on the back which will angle it forward slightly to maintain the correct alignment behind the front panel The third hole in the middle is there for me to be able to hold this piece with tweezers to place it correctly :)

DSC_3441.JPG

So there is the progress for now. I need to start looking at the internal fittings soon...

• Like 11

Yes I found that and thought the internals looked good so have collected a few of the photos from that site :)

I've been worrying about the seats for a while then while I was walking back to the office for lunch I had a brainwave - I've got a Panda Cougar 6x6 lot that I wanted to convert to a Mastiff and that will have internal seats, so when I get home this evening I need to check out what they look like and if they are usable. I should only need 4 or 5 seats as that will be all that will be visible from the door.

Next task will be working out how to reliably reproduce 12 TV screens...

• Like 3