1/48 German WWII Airfield

2Step

It's finally done ... for the third or so time, after having to remodel due to moves or new ideas ...

Before you judge to harshly:

- it was meant to be a display for photographing models - so it needs to be somewhat variable and have nothing in the foreground that blocks the pics

- it was also to place my larger kits that don't fit in the shelves - so it needs a lot of free space

- it was supposed to allow me to build all kind of aspects of daily live on an airfield: maintenance , hangar, refueling, fire trucks, all kind of aircraft weaponry and so on - so a lot of different things have to find a place within the limited space which means a lot of activities are in close proximity that never would be like that in real life

- it needs to display all my 1/48 non a/c kits - so it is kind of main & central during rush hour wrt vehicles etc.

and it needs to fit in my hobby room - so ...

To sum it up: one giant compromise - and I still have things built that I cannot get onto it (like an aircraft shooting range). I guess that means that there is another remodeling in the future. But for now I'll leave it be :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

• Like 53
  • Thanks 4

Just had the opportunity to admire your work. I couldn't access the pictures yesterday, and even now not all will open (grey flimmer).

Anyway, this is awesome work. Your love of detail is just breath-taking. How do you beware of dust - a vac cleaner would suck them all in?

Tschüss, Michael

@Toryu

I have no idea why some pics don't show... when I had this problem before, it was because the online folder (Google photos) where they are stored  in, was not set for public viewing. This one definitely is, so .. no clue, sorry about that.

As to the dust: Most of the sand, grass etc. is glued down (white glue solved in water sprayed on it). So theoretically you could vacuum... In real life I just brush the buildings and kits off with a soft make up style brush, the rest gets dusty 😉

• Thanks 1

Now they all show up on my mobile. No big deal, it happened with other threads, too. I experienced it with Google pics only (not Photobucket nor Flickr). Maybe if too many users access Google at the same time (Sunday afternoon)??

Well I'd say that all your self criticism in the first post is correct however............................

Its absolutely 100 per cent, monstrously marvellous and I don't care.  I think I am going to end up spending a hour or two just looking at it all.  Of course there is artistic licence in that you would never see all that in one place that c;lose together  ....but who cares?  !!!!!!

I think you have done remarkably well and allowing for space constraints its brilliant.  Love the owl - cant see the German shepherd* yet - that's the dog one not an agricultural worker!  Looked for cigar smoke as Galland must be in the crowd !  Cant see it/him either.  No sign of Goring but understandable as he'd take up too much space.

And its a standing ovation from me Bravo  :worthy:

PS EDIT  just found the mouse too or is it a rat?

*PPS ANOTHER EDIT - found a dog - not a German Shepherd though I think !

That's just great! There's so much to appreciate in there, and every time you return to the pictures you find something else :like:

I like the fighter pilots sitting in front of their HQ with the pieces of RAF and USAAF aircraft attached to the wall. 

Also your camo scheme on the Natter. 

Loads to look at and enjoy here.

Brilliant!

SD

Man, that is just so fantastic! 😀 There is so much to discover, and every pic reveals new treats and surprises.  That is just a delightful display that shows the passion and imagination that you put into this wonderful hobby.  Congratulations on an incredibly nice creation 2Step!:worthy:

You guys make me blush. But I am glad you like it. It sometimes seems a bit silly to put all this effort and time in when no one looking at it here at home really appreciates all the work and the ideas. But I guess that is why we post!

@JohnT

As to the animal world:

there is the owl and the mouse that you already found, altogether 5 dogs (including a puppy), two sheep, two goats, 1 snake, 1 pig, 1 piglet, three cows and two bulls for pulling planes in case of lack of fuel. There is also a butterfly on the Opel Blitz Küchenwagen (and obviously the dead animals, aka food, in the Küchenwagen). Oh ja, and two mules for which I have not found a good use yet.

(the larger animals were from a 1/48 animal farms set and the little animals are actually HO scale - where they would have been of Jurassic sizes :) )

There is three smokers (lung cancer probably being not the most life threatening issue), and actually one does indeed look pretty much like Galland

butterfly on the roof

spacer.png

and meet Galland

spacer.png

Edited by 2Step
  • Like 3

I must admit that the butterfly escaped me. I hope it did file a flightplan for entering the control zone and landing safely on the truck roof.

My idea for the mules: Load them with a fuel canister right and left and have an orderly try to pull the obstinate animals...

Hello Step,

As mentioned above, Magnificent. I will have to look a few more times to get all the details "stored"

As I am busy with something similar, I know it takes ages to get it finished and more importantly "keep focused".

Yours is finished, my highest compliments. Regards, Orion - The Netherlands.