Henry V's very own plane (A Shakespearean Thread)

Chief Cohiba

Friends, Fellows, Britmodellers!

May I kindly ask for your contribution to a future build, based on a highly imaginatory subject and idea.

It started some time ago when I had a discussion with my beloved wife, based on a discussion we had about the '95 adaption ot Richard III with Ian McKellen, which we both found brilliant, yet quite disturbing. I guess I have to add that she's quite into the specific period of history, spanning from say Richard Lionheart to Elizabeth I, so honestly I've learned a lot from here. As my own interest in history ranges from Victorian era (for the earliest) to early 20th century until cold war, this is a scenario we both can share our oppinions and we just had a quite lively discussion. (Isn't it great to see our wifes appreciation of our sometimes a bit man-cavey hobby? 😉

So, as Shakespeare and his views on english history has been adapted to modern days quite a few times now, one might think of another, a bit more optimistic setting, where Henry V was brought into 20th century and fought his battles in a WWII setting? I wouldn't dare to discuss if the scenarios match in detail or even in general, if the Battle of Agincourt could be compared to maybe Normandy or Dunkirchen. But if you channel your inner Kenneth Branagh, holding the famous St. Crispins Speech (add a bit "We Shall Fight on the Beaches) not among knights with their horses, but on a field in early morning mist, wearing sheepskin jackets among his fellow pilots, and you get the idea. 

So, the discussion was: what would Henry V fly?

Would it be his very own Spitfire, marked with his coat of arms on its nose? Would he be the commander of an Avro Lancaster (how suitable the name), or maybe a Mosquito, immensely fast, deadly, daring, bearing a white rose, wrapped around a sword, as nose art?

So, what do you think? Let your imagination flow around this topic, and add to this!

Looking forward to your ideas,

Yours, G,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

If we're travelling in a land of fantasy here, does it have to be a real WW2-era plane? Why not something from the age of "Steampunk"...

Chris. 

Steampunk is always a good choice, but then I'd think of something airship, maybe a Zeppelin, with steam powered jet engines. Set in a Late Victorian/WWI era, with Gothas flying below the vessel, large guns aiming at Dreidecker, That the picture?

Very tempting, as well. But I'd still see it more in a WWII setting, Maybe a bit Dieselpunk, if we keep it phantastic...

My guess is it should be a combat plane, rather than a transport machine, acting as a flying comand post.

If it should act as the latter, I would think of a Lancaster maybe, or maybe a Short Sunderland, but imagine a Sunderland in a Shakespeare-written setting? 

But I think of Henry V as someone who's holding a sword in it's own hands, so in my eyes it's more a single seat fighter.

But definitely it should have room for some fance noseart...

🙂

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe that was Richard the III, could be wrong though ? 

Yup Richard the III

now with Henry the V, who would he be attacking... oh wait thats obvious. Its got to be the French, its always the F*(ing French....

sorry tongue in cheek reference and hopefully not upsetting anyone.... 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 3:13 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe that was Richard the III, could be wrong though ? 

It was him, at least in the Shakespearean play. But as he was said to be not the most physically gifted person, it should be a rather easily accessable plane, rather than a slim fighter.

Maybe a Short Skyvan? 😉

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 3:53 AM, RayB24 said:

Yup Richard the III

now with Henry the V, who would he be attacking... oh wait thats obvious. Its got to be the French, its always the F*(ing French....

sorry tongue in cheek reference and hopefully not upsetting anyone.... 

Maybe - but in these days it could have also been Ze Germanns, who thought their home territory reached as far as the Normandy. And, from our perspective here, from little town of Wien, it's always the Germans. 😉

(Also not hoping to offend anyone, it's just playing with dumb clichees - please throw in some jokes about Austrians,  if you please... )

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, wombat said:

Hmmm the line of logic seems to point to something like Leonard Cheshire’s pathfinder Mustang.

Yes, I agree it's moving towards a fighter. But, according to the symbolic power this might have, it has to be Spitfire. Maybe a Mc XIV?

If we're spinning this further, time would be around June 44, so it could be available, making it one of their first appearences maybe? 

• Like 1

Surely it has to be very specifically the Lancaster type 464 provisioning and not just any old Lanc. Indeed out of the 617 Sqn aircraft it’s AJ-G. 
“Once more unto the breach.....”

Henry V was of the House of Lancaster

It all fits - which is more than you can say for a Fonderie Minatures kit

On 11/17/2019 at 12:13 PM, cngaero said:

I think that he would have preferred to fly by Chopper.😀

Henry wouldn’t know why they called his helicopter an Apache but he would understand the importance of its Longbow radar.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, Aeronut said:

Henry wouldn’t know why they called his helicopter an Apache but he would understand the importance of its Longbow radar.

But if we spinn this idea a bit further, it points maybe towards some kind of a radar equipped nightfighter, maybe a Beaufighter or Mosquito? As the secret weapon then was the Longbow, and in WWII was the radar?