Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang of the 352nd FG

Had some nice weather today so took a few pics of a kit I finished last year but haven't posted yet.

Tamiya's 1/48 P-51B Mustang of Capt. John Bennett of the 352nd FG.

Part of the 'Blue Nosed sweethearts of Bodney' (Sweethearts??? Oh edited by site. The b*astards!)

Kit went together a treat. Painted with Tamiya acrylics. Decals came from a sheet that was part of Eagle Editions book 'The P-51's of Major George Preddy' by Mark Proulx and Sam Sox, Jnr.

Book and decals cover all of Preddy's aircraft all called 'Cripes A'Mighty' and Bennett's shark mouthed P-51B.

Only addition was an Ultracast seat and Albion Alloys brass tubing for gun barrels.

Tried to make the Invasion stripes somewhat hastily painted ie. rough and uneven in places. Should've weathered the Stars and Bars decals in hindsight.

Oh well, live and learn.

Comments welcome and Cheers for looking.

MIofHAH.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

FW0EcZW.jpg

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Looks great Red Dog - really like the way that you have done the Invasion Stripes - uneven but subtly uneven. As you mentioned - weathering the National markings would have made it look even better as would masking and painting the inside of the canopy. That is an interesting Blue colour chosen for the nose - is it based on research?

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the pic Troy. It is one that was in the book.

I think the combination of the sun, camera (phone), and computer screens has distorted the colour a tad. It does seem brighter in the pics, but I'm happy with it even so.

I wish I had done the inside of the canopy too. Next time for sure. Another 100 or so kits and I'll get one that'll be perfect.

7 hours ago, VEEBEE271 said:

I'm not sure if true or not the colour blue came from the left over paint from painting the toilets on the base that the squadron where based at, they had recently taken over a british base in the UK. 

Toilet Blue?

Lavatory Blue?

Dunny Blue?

Urinal Blue?

Cheers

11 hours ago, whiskey said:

Oh man I've always wanted to build this bird! Now I'm not so sure I can after seeing your marvelous rendition! Fantastic job

I know how you feel. I saw Daniel Zamarbide's outstanding example and thought the exactly the same.

spacer.png

So go ahead a do it whiskey. It can be a bit time consuming with the masking but a great learning experience getting the invasion stripes to look hastily painted as they were in real life.

Do you have the Eagle Editions book 'The P-51's of Major George Preddy'? The decals that come with it are great and go down real nice with solvset.

• Like 1

The AEAF stripes do look good. As is the rest of the paintwork, although I'm not sure about that shade of blue - it's almost turquoise.

Also, the squadron code is the wrong way round on the port side.

3 hours ago, Red Dog said:

I know how you feel. I saw Daniel Zamarbide's outstanding example and thought the exactly the same.

Do you have the Eagle Editions book 'The P-51's of Major George Preddy'? The decals that come with it are great and go down real nice with solvset.

Their is also 2 sets of decals for Preddy's birds (including his brothers P-51 before he was lost too) produced by Three Guys if you can find a copy somewhere.  Includes his P-47 as well.  I have them in my stash.  I don't have the EE book.........off to see if I can find a copy.

Edited by BlueNosers352nd