White "frosting" with Humbrol Clear Gloss

Dennis E.

Hello everyone

I've just used Humbrol Clear for the first time...  Sprayed over Xtradecals and AK paint on a Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire.  I've now got a model which is covered in an uneven white frosting.  Does anybody have any idea what might have happened and what I might do about it?

Looks like you have used an enamel based product over an acrylic, they are not really compatible Dennis I’m afraid.  Probably need to strip and start again I fear, even if you could save it there is the possibility that the clear coat would craze or crack later on. 

Never had this problem before. I regularly spay enamel over acrylic. If it's matt coat that's causing the problem ….needs to be well mixed and thinned. Try a flash of gloss over an affected area that has been lightly rubbed down. It might work. You have nothing to loose.

Dick

I am a fan of Humbrol Acrylic Clear Gloss & use it regularly.  I have had 'clouding' on a couple of occasions - but never 'frosting'.

I have deduced that excess microsol / microset residue was a problem for me as the clouding was apparent around decals.  I now brush a little water over decals once they are fully set - just to get rid of the residue. 

If I forget and fogging appears a brush coat of more gloss over the top clears it up - so all may not be lost - give it a go and good luck.

Steve 

Thanks to everybody who responded so quickly - particularly Iain and Steve who, I think have nailed it.  I had settled the decals with Microset/sol and the model was in the cold overnight (I spray in the shed!).  Looks like the 'perfect storm'.

I'll try another coat of gloss over the top - it's either that or strip the lot off!

Thanks again for your input.

Dennis

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dennis E. said:

Thanks to everybody who responded so quickly - particularly Iain and Steve who, I think have nailed it.  I had settled the decals with Microset/sol and the model was in the cold overnight (I spray in the shed!).  Looks like the 'perfect storm'.

I'll try another coat of gloss over the top - it's either that or strip the lot off!

Thanks again for your input.

Dennis

Just another thought / tip - when I have had this problem I use a broad flat brush and almost brush the milkyness out - don't panic - be liberal with the gloss and it will level itself out as it dries.  You might consider moving it into the house for this bit too - Humbrol gloss has no odour.

Thanks for all that folks.  I brushed on another (heavy) coat of Clear yesterday and kept it warm overnight - no more white marks!  I've got some damage to the decals but nothing irreparable.

You are all officially heroes!

Thanks again.

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...