AMK Kfir FAE

Graeme H

OK, this one has been on the go since this kit came out, some build shots of the journey so far

DSCN1279.jpg

DSCN1279.jpg

It's a quite nice kit the wing to fuselage is the worst of all the fit issues,, , made harder by trying to get the join smooth without taking out the cannon detail

DSCN2615.jpg

The paint job is quite complex, I did the camo paint job just before the start of this GB, after months of procrastination, and a trip away to Model Show in Canberra last weekend, only the second time I've been to that one, drove down as I had to pick up my mate who lives 700kms down the road then another 1539kms to Canberra and Scale ACT, with an overnight stop, I normally go to Telford, but the last one was 2017, we are looking at going to that next year

Got the second green on after a mammoth masking job, I'm still suffering Car lag, if that's a thing, but 12-13 hour days driving is starting to get to me a bit, so progress has been slow, mostly putting on a few coats of clear, ready for the decals. 

DSCN3207.jpg

Biggest problem so far has been finding Image hosting site as I'm up to my Flickr quota, and as someone on now a low income I just need free sites to keep up

This one should progress rather quickly, as I had some mojo restorer at Canberra. 

• Like 9

Moving along slowly as I didn't realise that there are a mass of decals, I did see the quite small drawing with the plethora of arrows, but somehow it didn't really register until now, and how oh how I wish the drawing was 300% bigger, these are all mostly stencils, and 2 hour sessions are quite intensive, a quick count suggest there are over 120 decals all together, managed 3 x 2hr sessions so far, and not even close, now concentrating on the upper ones.

Who is the BMer that has as part of signature, life is too short for all the stencils 'cos I'm really beginning to agree with him.  🤔

photos when I can

• Haha 1

This is moving along, but again no photos, over the weekend I got a lot done on the Undercarriage, Fuel tanks and pylons etc, these will be fitted in the next few days, although I can't seem to find the main U/C doors, so a search is being conducted.

My intention is to build it as it was on the 10th Feb 1995 in the Cenepa War,  I have no idea of the config on the day, but assuming it had 3 fuel tanks, but were the wing ones 1300L or were they the Israeli 500L supersonics, which are fitted in a photo of the aircraft with what I assume id the Pilot Capitan Mauricio Mata after the event, as the aircraft has the kill marking on it, which I nearly put on until I realised what it was, and in that photo it's loaded as a bomb truck not as an interceptor.

My best guess is that it had the 500L tanks, but I don't have any of those, so would need to make them, or alternatively have no wing tanks, but highly unlikely with any Mirage Version, but the FAE seems to have both at different times, not a lot of photos out there of their Kfirs, so one question I have were the Mirage F1's and Kfir's on a standing patrol or were they scrambled?  The kit has 1300L subsonic tanks, so likely I will fit those and to hell with it, and someone needs to do 500L Israeli tanks, about the only ones I know of are in the PJ version of the Belgian AF kits, and in resin, and I need those.

The shoot down missile was a Shafrir 2, which is not in the kit, it has a Python 3, so I got myself an aftermarket pair from Eduard, which as photoetch for the forward fins, alternatives are 3D printed ones from HPM, the Shafrir 2 is very similar in shape and look to the AIM 9B, and most wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I painted the main body, these have very nice detail on them, I will try not to stuff them up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

OK, have been decaling this very slowly, there are about 130 altogether, very tiring

I hope to have this finished by the end of the GB, as I'm going to a show, and hope to take it as an entry

I'm currently at the missile stage these are Eduard Shafrir 2's, more tiny bits and decals, will put on the forward fins today I hope, and mount to the rails, that will get me close I hope

I still have a bit to finish off on the interior, unable to decide what bang seat it had, so will go with best guess.

DSCN3241.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...