see Airfix

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:49 AM, grahamwalker said:

I see Airfixs  facebook page has put up a notice how about HMS QE and do we want one ? of course I said yes 1/350 and 1/700. So get there and have your say :)

From the latest Workbench:

Testing the water

Visitors to the Airfix stand at SMW 2019 would have been intrigued to see a spectacular hand built model sharing display space with our new Vulcan, one which has a particularly interesting story behind it. Occupying a prominent position initially near our make and paint tables and on Sunday, on the display stand itself, this magnificent 1/350th scale model of the Royal Navy’s new aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales was painstakingly built by talented modeller Dave Coventry, who was on hand to make sure nobody took too much of a shine to his latest creation and got a little too close. Attracting plenty of interest over the show weekend, this beautiful model was intended to stimulate discussions on two specific points – should Airfix be looking to re-enter the 1/350th scale ship market and if so, which particular vessels would be most popular with modellers?

Attracting plenty of interest over the weekend of the SMW show, this magnificent scratch built 1/350th scale HMS Prince of Wales raises the question, should Airfix return to this scale of ship models?

With many people assuming that sight of this model signified a clear intention that Airfix were planning to introduce a new kit of a Queen Elizabeth class carrier in the near future, it became abundantly clear over the weekend that there was plenty of modelling appetite for such a development and it proved quite a challenge to temper expectations. Serving as probably the most effective scale canvassing prop we have ever displayed in a public forum, Dave’s beautiful model started discussions we are desperately keen to hear your views on and we would be grateful if you would let us have your thoughts by dropping us a quick e-mail at our usual [email protected] address. Would you welcome the return of Airfix to the1/350th scale ship model arena and if so, which vessels would you like to see produced. On a slightly more specific note, would you welcome the addition of a Queen Elizabeth class carrier in this scale?

With regard to Dave’s latest masterpiece, this is the second Queen Elizabeth Class carrier model he has produced for us in the past five years, with the previous model having been presented to the Royal Navy and on permanent display aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth itself. This latest model was scratch built by Dave, using all the experience he gained whilst building the previous model and incorporating many parts taken from various Airfix kits – we think you will agree, it looks truly magnificent. After its starring role at Scale Modelworld 2019, the model will be placed on display in the Hornby Visitors Centre in Margate, just one of the many attractions awaiting people looking for an interesting day out.

It remains to be seen whether Dave’s efforts will result in an Airfix kit version of his impressive carrier, but we certainly look forward to watching developments with interest. We will certainly bring readers details of how our request for opinions on the subject progresses.

Now's your chance, guys, let Airfix know what you want!

• Like 4

The simple answer is yes please, as to what subject fields are open.

Personally I'd love to see Airfix consider doing kits with parts that could easily produce different classes of ships, such as WW2 destroyers, post war vessels etc.

This would enable the kits to cater for many, while keeping cost low.

In additon to the recently commissioned QE & PoW which are being suggested there is lots of other nautical subject matter that Airfix should consider, but in 1:700 too, not just 1:350.  I can also think of quite a few examples in their 1:600 range which are notably missing from the now industry standard 1:700 & 1:350 scales, at least as injection moulded kits, rather than resin.  For example, RMS Mauretania (which could also be released with appropriate additional parts to produce its sister ship Lusitania), as well as the Type 12l Leander class frigates.  Whilst an Edwardian era liner might not be mainstream enough for some, several Leanders served in the Falklands, and with suitible option parts depending on radar & armament & a comprehensive decal sheet, I reckon that one kit could have the build options to cover pretty much all versions as the difference between standard & broad beam batches is only 1.7mm at 1:350 (2' at 1:1) & thus negligible.  The Leanders themselves & derivatives were also used by many other navies, so there is international appeal there too.  However as long as I can build Apollo F70, then I'm very happy!  Then there is the 'classic' Ark Royal (IV), probably the RN's most iconic carrier, which would fit very nicely in the range (at either 1:350 or 1:700) to complement the recent tooling 1:72 Phantoms & Buccaneers, especially if released in her 1970s fit out.

I guess I can but dream...

Great idea if Airfix do decide to go down the maritime route - plenty subjects to choose from. I just hope they start using a harder plastic than what they're using now - it may be perfectly adequate for aircraft kits but it may not work for some of the smaller details that ships have, especially in 1/700.

Mike.

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

Great idea if Airfix do decide to go down the maritime route - plenty subjects to choose from. I just hope they start using a harder plastic than what they're using now - it may be perfectly adequate for aircraft kits but it may not work for some of the smaller details that ships have, especially in 1/700.

Mike.

The quality of the moulding would be crucial to this kit. It needs to be hard and crisp, unlike the typically soft Airfix plastic. They may as well contract Trumpeter to produce it.

8 hours ago, junglierating said:

Personally I like 1/600 but no chance 

Gidday, me too! But unfortunately I don't like the chances either. 😥 Mind you, we can't be the only two that like 1/600 scale. If another ship was released by them in that scale they might corner the market. But how big would be that market?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd take 1/600 certainly of any RN platforms other than the obvious ones that have been overdone such as HOOD, KGV etc. 

However, since that's never going to happen again, I'd take 1/350 of anything post 1918 with a preference for 1950-70s.  A 1/350 ARK IV would be ideal but since Airfix missed the perfect window in the late 1970s when she starred in Sailor on BBC TV, I think the chances now are pretty limited

Like all of us, I’d take whatever we can get in 1/350 RN, cos let’s face it there’s precious little out there (stand fast the wondrous Atlantic Models Cold War offerings).  

But the one which always astonishes me is the lack of an Illustrious.  Malta icon?  Tick.  Aircraft changed the entire Med war in a single night?  Tick.  Very similar sisters involved in actions vs Bismarck AND Tirpitz (Victorious) and kamikaze in the Far East (Formid)... excellent references available (pretty much complete Victorious plans)... yet no-one’s gone near one.  You can get 1/350 Nazi paper carriers that never put to sea, but a WW2 Lusty in 1/350?  Not a dicky bird.

• Like 1