224 Peter

Hi, 

In a moment of madness I decided to paint my Tamiya 1/32 scale F14 in Desert Pink. A "what if the MRCA had been a failure" scheme, assuming that the RAF would have replaced the MRCA with the F14. 

I described the work here:

I've almost completed the painting, 3 x 14 ml of Humbrol 250 later I find I need another can!! 

The paint, when sprayed, covers badly and the original grey shows through. 

Irritatingly, Humbrol have discontinued this paint. 

Given the way the original desert pink faded and was patched up with Leyland decorating emulsion "Blush" there is no way the aircraft should be a uniform colour. 

Also, looking at examples of USN F14s they mark and stain badly round vents, ducts, etc. 

But I'd like to get it a bit more uniform.... Does anyone have a spare can in their stash they'd like to move on, or can anyone suggest an alternative. Xtracolour X32 would seem the logical paint, or their acrylic X1032. 

• 2 weeks later...

Colourcoats do an enamel as well - ACRN 16 - RAF Pink / Sand. Not used any of their paints but their reputation is excellent.

Alternatively Xtracrylix range includes a good version which I know from experience sprays well.

MRP paints also do a lacquer acrylic too. I've no experience with this but they are reputed to be good and spray straight from the bottle (apparently).....er, I mean they spray straight from the bottle through your airbrush, without thinning....not straight out of the bottle obviously, cos that would be silly.... (At points like these, Quack sometimes recognises the time to shut up!) :banghead:

It's not much to go on but I hope it helps. A bit. Maybe.

Q

I've had a rummage and found two tins of Xyracolour X32. These must be at least 20 years old but as far as I recall have never been opened. A bit of industrial stirring and they may be ok. They are yours for the asking, just pm me your details.

Q