Roden 1/144 VC10 K4

rafalbert

Hi guys,

After my year went to pot totally, I could pick from 15+ unfinished builds, but I am going to go with this beautiful old girl. If I get chance to throw another one into the ring I will, but at the very least I am determined to finish this one!

Dave

IMG_20191116_114807

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there was a slight delay as I discovered my filler had dried up (sums up my modelling year nicely!). Anyway, wings and engines attached will liberal application of Perfect Plastic Putty, so she is starting to look like a -10. Next stage is trying to blend in the canopy.

IMG_20191126_200514

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Well, the en-suite is finally done and Christmas is over so I can crack on again. I have given her a coat of primer which has highlighted a few areas to address but she is looking like a VC10 so will be fine on the shelf. As we are at the end of the year I can safely say I will glad to see the back of it, with many many issues now behind me. 2020 will be a glorious year for my modelling, starting with finishing this old girl! Merry New Year! 🎉😜

IMG_20191231_135617

• Like 5

Well, I was all ready to spray the old girl only to discover that I have 7 tins of Light Aircraft Grey and 0 tins of Camouflage Grey 🤦🏼‍♂️. I will have to wait until I go to the shop next week.

Edited by rafalbert

• 3 weeks later...

....and I plod slowly on....

I finally bought some Camouflage Grey and sprayed her accordingly. I normally use Humbrol or Xtracolor as I have had extremely limited success with acrylics, but as Humbrol seem to have stopped producing 167 I ended up buying Mr Hobby Barley Grey (the same colour). I had no idea what thinners to use but with a bit of research I discovered that this is a lacquer-based acrylic rather than water-based, so thinned with some thinners I had for other uses. I have to say I am sold! The colour looks good and sprayed beautifully, just marred by my shoddy building. Anyway, on with the decals which was an interesting task as the location diagrams are limited at best, and half of the decal numbers are incorrect. So, after yet more google research I have done my best to locate the more ambiguous ones and to try to use Set and Sol to reduce the carrier film and she doesn't look too bad. I now need to re attach the aerials I knocked off along with the wheels, give her a coat of matt varnish then paint the metallic areas. Hopefully not too long 🤞

IMG_20200119_180720

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Looks good, not sure how I missed the early part of this thread, put it down to my usual pre-Christmas panic. :( I do like the result for this, I've one in stock & had it marked down for a Hemp finish, now I've seen this, Barley Grey seems probable, I have some Hu 167 in stock, though it'll probably be dried up by the time I get to it. :D 

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...