Mustang IV/Italian Stallion

Angus Tura

Good Evening.

This has failed both the Airfix 1/72 P-51D Dedicated Kit GB a year ago and the 1950s NATO v. Warsaw Pact GB earlier this year:

191115a bits

191115b top

191115c bottom

It now doesn't need too much. Some detail painting and assembly to do. I have found one photo on line where this looks clean but pretty tired. I thought I would use some satin varnish therefore. The windscreen frames in aluminium are wrong and should be the same colour as the anti-glare panel. I was planning to redo that after these masks are off and a bit of re-polishing has been done. I'm a bit worried about the wheel well masks. They've been on a long time!

Alan 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

An Italian Mustang! Now that is exotic, and you can smell the anchovy and garlic, just looking at it!

As everybody says, it is almost finished! These are the cursed words....

Well done!

JR

• Haha 1

Yes, those are cursed words! You can be too fussy with these things.

There was a little imperfection on the port fuselage roundel which I painted over but it ended up a bit of a mess. So, I thought I'd remove the paint with some lacquer thinners which completely melted the decal and then started melting the plastic:

191201a Roundel mess up

This is it sanded and polished. Then sprayed aluminium again:

191201b Roundel fix

There is still a bit of a chip, and the lower panel-line is a bit wider but with the roundel replaced (I got another set of decals because the registration on some of the decals on the first was out a little,) it doesn't look too bad:

191201c new roundel

'might get the blighter finished now,

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
missed link
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

great save!

Gee, I hate it when you try to correct a minor defect and end up with a complete meltdown!

Every time a coconut!!! I know about the 80% law and the axiom that the best is the enemy of the good, and still I never listen to this small voice that tell me to walk away and not touch anything... How many times have I told myself: "which part of do not touch anything didn't you understand?!!!"

Tu quoque...

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Pat!

I failed again. I wouldn't have thought it possible to fail in so many group builds with just one model.

I had thought I would get this done this weekend but..."events, dear boy". Too much family and too much work.

200202a KUTA fail 200202b KUTA fail

I thought even this morning that it would be finished tonight, but yet more domestic nonsense has intervened.

Any way, it will shortly be available in RFI.

It has been the model that keeps on giving. I have wanted to start some more Airfix Mustangs but am determined to finish this one first. The final, probably, things learnt have been not to handle the windscreen masking this way, not to use the canopy as a cockpit mask, not to paint the wheels and undercarriage legs separately and assemble them afterwards. The biggest lastest (?) thing has been: "DON'T SPRAY ON THE EXHAUST STAINS". I was particularly hacked off with that one! I have equipped myself with some weathering pencils to try better not to mess up next time. Next time with the Airfix Mustang is liable to be the VE day/VJ day build in May. I will be glad to have the next three months off! 

Thanks,

Alan

• Like 1