revell 2020 1st quarter releases

modelldoc

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I'm putting my 'casual modeller' 🎩 on and do some research.

1) - Everything I need in one box excluding paint in the LHS. 

2) - Order SH kit online somewhere, add shipping & handling + have someone tell me about Syhart in the first place (there's a stretch) AND order online & add more shipping and handling costs.

By the way, over here, price difference for the very hard to get (I tried) academy PBY-5 in a Revell boxing is 5€.

You can see where I'm going with this, probably?

The  'casual modeller' 🎩 will go for option 1. 

Inclined to agree with you. If possible I prefer to buy everything at once and, in the same place.

It doesn't make much sense (to me anyway) to try and source a specific kit and decal sheet from possibly two separate sources, with two sets of postage and then end up with maybe no "saving" at all.

That's a false economy in my book. As for "substantially more than Academy original prices" and, "languishing on shelves", I'm not necessarily convinced of that. 

I'm my local shop, the previously mentioned OV-10 and Catalina are on sale at £17.99 and, £21.99 respectively. I go by shop price and, not RRP as, the latter is usually higher.

As for "languishing on shelves" as one comment put it. Where is the evidence? If indeed they are "languishing" could it not be as much to do with subject choice as price?

As far as the price for the Mirage F1 goes I would agree that £25 is on the high side but, I wouldn't be using Hannants as a guide. My local shop has it at £22.49.

Down to personal choice as always. I find Revell prices, for the most part to be pretty reasonable.

Allan.

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

What, £ 17.99 for the OV-10? The academy kit in my part of the world sells for €10-12... 

£17.99 for the OV-10, £21.99 for the PBY and, £22.49 for the Mirage F1. That's respectively €21,€26 and,€27

Allan.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:24 AM, Albeback52 said:

As for "languishing on shelves" as one comment put it. Where is the evidence?

On the shelves of my LHS, where you can see five RoG OV-10A's at the very same place as when they first appeared. 

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Hook said:

On the shelves of my LHS, where you can see five RoG OV-10A's at the very same place as when they first appeared. 

Cheers,

Andre

Which, by itself does not prove that price has anything to do with it

Allan

Ps truth be told I wouldn't want an OV-10 even if they were giving them away! 😅

Edited by Albeback52

• 5 months later...

Markings in the kit:

EF-111A,  66-0030, 390th ECS, Taif AB, Saudi Arabia, Operation "Desert Storm", January 1991

EF-111A,  67-0035, 42nd ECS/66th ECW, RAF Upper Heyford, 1986

:hmmm:now what to do?

I thought Scalemates had got it wrong, the Monogram kit was a product of its time, raised lines etc.

The Esci kit came out later and whilst a good and serviceable kit itself, it was always very much second fiddle to its close contemporary, the Hasegawa kit.

The Esci kit was good but the Hasegawa was better.

Italeri took over the ESCI moulds.

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

I take it this is the Monogram plastic?

Steve

Yes. This was confirmed earlier in this thread but am having technical difficulties so I can't find the post just now. Raised Monogram panel lines are visible in the Revell photos and on hannants. Monogram's kit looks more like an F-111 to me, compared to the Esci so no complaints from me.

Jay

Edit: just saw the replies above, not intended to come off as arrogant, sorry.

Edited by Mountain goat

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

Yes. This was confirmed earlier in this thread but am having technical difficulties so I can't find the post just now.

I'll just wait for the plastic. Marketing pictures are just that.

The shots of the parts on Revell's website show the Monogram kit, so I'd accept that what you get in the box. The Monogram kit was very nice when released, raised panel lines but better detail than the ESCI/Italeri tool, and it makes sense to use a tool you own rather than buy in plastic parts from Italeri.

Colin

41 minutes ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

The Monogram kit was very nice when released, raised panel lines but better detail than the ESCI/Italeri tool

Especially in the cockpit. 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for the clarification! I bought the Revell EF-111 back in the late 80s or maybe early 90s. Remember it being a fairly decent kit, so I'll happily buy another at the right price.

Steve

• 2 months later...