Meng GT40 mkII

elderly

I see that MengĀ are bringing out a 1/12 version of theĀ  Denny Hulme &Ā Ken Miles 1966 Shelby AmericanĀ  Le Mans carĀ šŸ‘.

Ā 

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=53136&language=en&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=391

Ā 

I'm looking forward to this release, however,Ā I don't have an interest in Military models for which Meng seem to be known - are Meng's kits generally good?Ā 

Edited by elderly
  • Like 1

I see Trumpeter are to re-release their 1/12 GT40, hope its a new mold and not a rebox of that kit

Edit, just seen it Mengs and not Trumpeter as in the advert šŸ‘ although I'm not sure how their going to get it in the packet dimension 100mmx100mmx50mm

• 2 months later...

Let's not be hasty. Everything about Meng kits in general I've read has been very positive for fine moldings, high detail and parts count.

If the molds are very precise this could be a fine kit and may set a new standard.

I love the GT and they would be foolish to make one inferior to the Trumpy kit. I managed to get a decent one out of that.

Hmm, very tempting, but could require a row with the wife as I'm already under review for having Tamiya's Porsche 910 (built), Lola T70 (wip) and Porsche 934 (goods in) and living in a relatively small terraced house with an amateur artist, i.e. not much room for display.

• Haha 2

If Meng's 1/24th scale Ford PickUp truck kit is anything to go by I will be really looking forward to what they canĀ do with a Ford GT40 in 1/12 scale.

Have read on another site that their GT40 will be a snap together kit..............Really????

I always thought that 1/12 scale kits were aimed at the modeller wanting plenty of detail to build.

Having looked at the link to Meng in Colin's post it does indeed say pre painted and snap fit assembly.

Well, now that Trumpeter and Meng have both gone for this subject in 1/12th scale! Ā  There will beĀ another!

Marshall Buck of Creative Miniature Associates is developing an extremelyĀ highly detailed multi medium kit of the GT40.

Horrendously expensive BUT, will be the definitive GT 40 kit that well built will be very collectable by well heeled enthusiasts.

Edited by Noel Smith

20 hours ago, colin said:

My thoughts exactly

You really canā€™t tell that the Meng 1/48 P-51 is snap together. Itā€™s arguably better than the latest Airfix 1/48 Mustang (which is a very good kit) if not quite up to the new EduardĀ one. If you built all three and stoodĀ them next to each other, you wouldnā€™t pick one out as Snap Fit...

best,

M.

• Like 1

It's not so much the snap together but pre coloured plastic, I just hate working with multiple coloured plastic, which you are going to paint anyway.Who are they aiming the kit for, as I would think price wise it would be out of reach to most kids

Just now, colin said:

It's not so much the snap together but pre coloured plastic, I just hate working with multiple coloured plastic, which you are going to paint anyway.Who are they aiming the kit for, as I would think price wise it would be out of reach to most kids

I largely agree with Colin's view but again - would not count out this effort.

If anyone comes across the kit's engine pictures, I can tell you right away how accurate the kit will be. I have that same 427 engine in my 1:1 Cobra. I've built and modified it over decades.

The best model 427 engine I've seen is in MFH's 1/12 Cobras. All white metal and the component shapes and proportions are very accurate.

concerning the snap together thing I read some articles about the snaptogether Kawasaki by Meng and it seems like these kind of kits are high quality including the pre colouring. Whom they aiming for? I guess they are looking for the PeopleĀ who would like to build a big and detailed model without facing the kind of additional work spent for a model like most of the people do here on the forum. Itā€˜s like with These big scale subscription Models, but youā€˜ll get everythingĀ just in one box instead of collecting from magazine to magazine.

Ā 

letā€˜s wait and see how good this kit will be.

Marco FĀ 

Ā 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 4:15 PM, elderly said:

I see that MengĀ are bringing out a 1/12 version of theĀ  Denny Hulme &Ā Ken Miles 1966 Shelby AmericanĀ  Le Mans carĀ šŸ‘.

Ā 

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=53136&language=en&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=391

Ā 

I'm looking forward to this release, however,Ā I don't have an interest in Military models for which Meng seem to be known - are Meng's kits generally good?Ā 

This could be the start of something awesome :)

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

De Agostini are now jumping into the GT40 fray with a 1/8th scale kit. Usual thing, collect a few bits each week over a considerable time (and cost).

Is that actually happening now???
Yes at last. Just putting my order in.

Nick

Edited by Nick Belbin
Checking what I couldnā€™t believe

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

De Agostini are now jumping into the GT40 fray with a 1/8th scale kit. Usual thing, collect a few bits each week over a considerable time (and cost).

24 months at Ā£49.99 per month (okay the first few months areĀ less expensive tempters) comes out at nearly ..... Ā£1200.Ā šŸ˜®

If the De Agostini part work GT40 means lashing out about Ā£1200 then the Multi Medium kit in 1/12 scale by Creative Miniature Associates will probably not be far off this mark.

Marshall Buck of CMA does not compromise on quality, so their GT40 promises to be the definitive kit of this iconic Le Mans Car.