New released Mach 2 1/72 scale VC10 - leading wing edges

Gimme Shelter

10 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Here are the photos of the dry fitted wing halves showing the leading edge of the wing that refers back to my original question, If correct, I need to sand these down and off so that the wings leading edge is perfectly straight (Ignore the plastic swarf here)

20191120_094955

20191120_094959

Rather than filing the whole of the leading edge extension off (which will most likely leave you with a gaping hole in the LE) you might be better off cutting the whole of the leading edge extension off back to the scribed front spar line, removing the extra chord from the back of the piece you've just removed, the re-attaching it. A length of plastic strip glued under the front spar line and protruding forward of it would help locate the repositioned leading edge. Some filing/reprofiling might be needed but should be minimal and leave little risk of leaving gaps in the leading edge. The forward fuselage wing root fairing will need reprofiling to match the shorter wing chord, I'd suggest packing the inside with epoxy putty if there's any risk of the plastic becoming too thin whilst having at it with a file.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but that did make me chuckle as the VC-10 had to be one of the greatest convertors of avgas to noise, known to man

I think you'll find a VC10 runs on Avtur, Avtag Jp4 and if you can get one on a carrier Avcat... Avgas is 5 star petrol. or was when I was refueling the Vc10 and Chippy's in Berlin.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, kev67 said:

clarify

The only VC10s without the leading edge extensions were The prototype on early test flights , All the BOAC/BA Standards and  were leased or sold to UAE Government, Gulf Air, Nigeria Airways'  and  the five converted to RAF K2 Tankers . ZA140 -144 inc.  .

Air Jamaica , Air Ceylon and Nigeria also leased Standards and flew in BOAC colours with their titles in Gold replacing BOAC's (stickers) .

Gulf Air leased a VC10 in Gulf's last VC10 scheme to Air Ceylon with AC titles

So the other Standards that had the extensions were..

BUA/BCAL  and sold  to Air Malawi, Sultan of Oman , RAe Bedford . Sierra Leone Airways .leased a BUA VC10 ,it stayed in BUA's origal scheme with SL's titles and Union Jack replaced with SL' flag

Ghana Airways ,leased one of their two to MEA

Laker, Prototype ,leased to MEA and sold to BUA on return . Never flew in Laker colours .

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

If you have any photos I could work from

I have one in colour ,2 b&w ,it was in those colours for only a few weeks before being repainted to UAE scheme and leased out . Pm me if you want them with your email .