Putting clear glass cockpit windscreen into resin model?

I'm considering buying a Welsh Models Vacuform kit of the 747SP.  This would be my first vacuform kit.  However, one of the things that pouts me off is the lack of a clear plastic cockpit windscreen such as one gets in the injection molding offerings from the likes of Revell.  How easy would it be to transplant the cockpit (inc windscreen) from a Revell model into a vacuform fuselage?

The plastic card in vacforms is soft so it would be very easy to cut a slot. I would get the fuselage halves together, cut the slot under size and then used files it sanding sticks to adjust it to fit.

Personally I drill and then cut the windows out and fill with PVA/KrytsalKlear or some other film forming glue. Alternatively just paint the windows as they are and not worry about the cockpit interior. 

Hi Michael.

Have a look at these before you start cutting plastic.  Well worth the money and the results are quite superb when properly applied.

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-BO-16

Although the Welsh Models vac-form kit is very good, there will be an injection moulded 747SP available soon from Eastern Express if you would prefer that medium, Alternatively you could really push the boat out and get one of these fabulous kits. 

https://www.authentic-airliners.de/epages/64205758.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64205758/Products/K144-47

The choice is yours.

Chris.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

I'm considering buying a Welsh Models Vacuform kit of the 747SP.  This would be my first vacuform kit.  However, one of the things that pouts me off is the lack of a clear plastic cockpit windscreen such as one gets in the injection molding offerings from the likes of Revell.  How easy would it be to transplant the cockpit (inc windscreen) from a Revell model into a vacuform fuselage?

Hi Michael,

I agree with Chris, although the Welsh kit is good it's not really a beginner's vacform kit.

Wait for a while and get the EE kit or splash out on the AA one and use AA 3d window decals.

Besides, the Revell cockpit glazing, either from the -400 or -200 kits, isn't very accurate and wouldn't fit easily.

Cheers,

Ian 

On 15/11/2019 at 23:14, Turbofan said:

Hi Michael,

I agree with Chris, although the Welsh kit is good it's not really a beginner's vacform kit.

Wait for a while and get the EE kit or splash out on the AA one and use AA 3d window decals.

Besides, the Revell cockpit glazing, either from the -400 or -200 kits, isn't very accurate and wouldn't fit easily.

Cheers,

Ian 

Thanks

I'll wait for the EE kit to come out and see what price it is.

• Like 1