Matchbox Messerschmitt Me 410

IanC

Hello

I just completed this 1/72 Matchbox Me 410 A1/U-4 as a quick build. The kit is very basic, of course, but the shape is good and captures the sleek lines of the real aircraft. I drilled out the cannon, and added some seats and cockpit detail but sadly almost nothing is visible through the thick canopy, so could have saved myself the effort. Everything else is basic Matchbox.

I chose an aircraft of 4./ZG 26 from an Xtradecal sheet and used a mix of Tamiya and Gunze paints. The only weathering is a bit of pastel exhaust staining. The panel lines are deep enough not to need accentuating.

All in all a really enjoyable build - more fun than many previous, more complex kits that I've done! Maybe it's the nostalgia factor?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the best,

Ian

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

I tried one of these some time ago.

It was a mess. 

A mixture of a really old kit that just didn't want to line-up anywhere and a ham-fisted modeller who ran out of patience (and skill).

You've made the kit look really good.  Well done.

• Like 1

Superbly executed proof that this oldie kit can become an attractive model – in the right hands.

The only fly in the ointment that I can see is how the Matchbox designer portrayed the main gear legs at full extension… ;)

Impressively neat and clean modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

i think an Me-410 was the only german twin engine that i DIDNT pick up at Telford - got a 110, DO 17, Ju 88, HS129, Do217 and a Ta-154! ........i do have a Me 410 in in 1/72 by Lindbergh somewhere up in the loft, im sure its even more basic than the Matchbox offering!

Really good work and the clean finish to the paint scheme and detailing really works well on a slightly more detail sparse kit like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

The only fly in the ointment that I can see is how the Matchbox designer portrayed the main gear legs at full extension… ;)

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. Yes, I did toy with the idea of shortening them as the real thing sits much lower. Wish I had now, but what the heck.

I was happy enough just to cover up the lovely brown, green and light blue plastic! 

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

I tried one of these some time ago.

It was a mess. 

A mixture of a really old kit that just didn't want to line-up anywhere and a ham-fisted modeller who ran out of patience (and skill).

You've made the kit look really good.  Well done.

Many thanks. I did have to use a fair bit of filler - not something that comes out that often in this age of shiny modern kits.