Tim's Spitfire PR19 - completed

theplasticsurgeon

Rejoining with this kit. Costing me £5.50 at SMS2009 - ten years in my stash!

Airfix-Spitfire19.jpg

I've cleared this history with Enzo, it's quite recent.

Started on 19 Oct 2019,   after completing the X-29 and Angel in the FilmStar GB.

I found a Griffon contra-rotating prop in an Aero-Team Spitfire 21,  and pictures of a French restored

Spit 19 with that prop.  Bonus that a colleague of mine has photos of that aircraft at Duxford.

The only difference I can see is lack of that scoop below the port exhausts, my scalpel has already removed that.

All progressing well,  research done, parts available, what could possibly go wrong. . . 

Cockpit painted and assembled into fuselage, C-R prop assembled, when I dropped the canopy . . . . and the carpet monster swallowed.  I even saw it hit the floor!

That was 20 Oct.  Three days scabbling round on my knees looking.  Nothing.  How does that happen?

Now this is a PR19, with curved windscreen, so I can't just take one from another kit. 

Shelved,  and move onto the Hot Shots Fallus Gnat.

A week later hacked-off Tim looks on the Hannants website, and finds they have ONE example of the Pavla vacform canopy in stock - YEAH!

Fortunately there's  an upcoming model show called SMW2019, Hannants will be present - and are offering 10% discount on show collection - DOUBLE YEAH!

And I've got a colleague going  - Who agrees to pick up an order - TRIPPLE YEAH!

So earlier this week the replacement canopy comes my way - HUGE THANKS!

• Like 3

Whilst I'm waiting, here is my other Spitfire PR XIX - this one by Fujimi.

It will be interesting to compare both models.

Fujimi-Spitfix-XIX-FS.jpg

And I've wondered why this one omits roundels atop the wings - is that how they were?

But here is what I'm aiming for - gloss finish, contra-rotating prop, and clipped wings. 

e881b7152567d2b79d008423d56f0e01.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice Tim. The one in the pic you posted earlier seemed to have a white serial, but I presume you are not bothering as it is a sort of "what if"?  I guess it might have been F-AZJS ex PS899? Presume they had to get a different engine with a gearbox for the contra-prop? I have not been able to find any pics of a PRXIX without overwing roundels but that does not mean to say there were none. Certainly they did not have underwing roundels. I presume the Fujimi one has none either above or below the wings?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

On 11/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, PeterB said:

Very nice Tim. The one in the pic you posted earlier seemed to have a white serial, but I presume you are not bothering as it is a sort of "what if"?  I guess it might have been F-AZJS ex PS899? Presume they had to get a different engine with a gearbox for the contra-prop? I have not been able to find any pics of a PRXIX without overwing roundels but that does not mean to say there were none. Certainly they did not have underwing roundels. I presume the Fujimi one has none either above or below the wings?

Cheers

Pete

It's PS890, I've not got the correct size/colour serial - hence omitted. 

Also I think the colour is tooo dark.  It looks right when the aircraft is in the hanger, but not whilst flying in a clear bright sky.

I found this U-tube clip of of her nosing over.

As Graham says, Shackleton engine and gearbox now.

I've now got model Spitfires with 3, 4, 5 and now 6 blade props, and a 2 blade fixed pitch in the stash 😀

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

Know what you mean about the serials - I printed my own for my PR XI conversion but they were a real pain. PRU Blue is yet another of those "difficult" colours it seems.

DSC01031-crop-crop

I suspect this was an old tin of Xtracolour. It may look a little darker in real life. Airfix PR XIX with Freightdog nose and tail conversion. Should have picked up another XIX to build OOB as they were going cheap in Cheltenham a couple of years ago being the older boxing - around £6 as I recall.

Pete

Edited by PeterB