Focke Wulfe Triebflugel

Martian

This morning I got the engines and associated gubbins glued together. The fit of neither kit was none too special and filling and sanding looms in my immediate future. Next up I think I will start work on reinforcing the inside of the rotor collar on the Amusing Hobby kit and stiffening the attachment lugs on it's rotors.

Instead of using the traditional locating pins and holes for joining the fuselage, the Mini-Art kit uses a system of interlocking lips. This does make for a much stronger join but there is a slight mismatch in the kit which results in a slight step in the join. This requires extra caution in cleaning it up as it would be all too easy to ruin the cross section of the fuselage which, needing to be perfectly circular, would be particularly noticeable on this model.

Anyhoo, some pictures.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

033.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

• Like 8

As a Christmas centrepiece that's definitely going to be a showstopper:

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

034.jpg

A candle in each engine exhaust and some tinsel and job done :christmas:

(In all seriousness I can't wait to see what this looks like coloured in Martian - such a left of field concept. Bravo on progress.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

As a Christmas centrepiece that's definitely going to be a showstopper:

A candle in each engine exhaust and some tinsel and job done :christmas:

What could possibly go wrong?

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well she look pretty good Dear Alien !

Look like the 1/32 one, is this right ?

Now, I can foresee another use for it, but I better don't tell :evil_laugh:

I think That I'll get my Triebfludil soon...

And then, I'll join the fray !!

Have a great modelling time !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well she look pretty good Dear Alien !

Look like the 1/32 one, is this right ?

Now, I can foresee another use for it, but I better don't tell :evil_laugh:

I think That I'll get my Triebfludil soon...

And then, I'll join the fray !!

Have a great modelling time !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Its actually in 1/35 CC. Progress has been slowed up while I clean up an out rigger on this one and the exterior of the engines of Junior, following a liquid cement spill. On a more positive note, the engines and rotors of the 1/35 example are now cleaned up and polished and now just need some restorative re-scribing to be ready for painting.

Martian 👽

• Sad 3

A while back,  @The Baron remarked that the Triebflugel looked a bit like a Christmas tree. I mentioned this to Mrs Martian and suggested that I should put a bit of tinsel around it to make it a bit festive and did she have a small fairy that we could adorn the top of it? Mrs Martian then had a look in her cake decorating tin and came up trumps with something we decided was a pretty close match to Tony in his pantomime dame's frock, only a bit better looking obviously.

I therefore present for your delectation and delight The previously unseen variant of the Triebflugel design, the Focke-Wulf Weinachtsflugel. Bonkers enough for you @Ex-FAAWAFU ? Personally, I feel that Mrs Martian, hot on her heels from her smash hit as Trillion at Telford, she had a couple of offers before she even got in the building, (must have been the boots) should now have a BM account of her own so that she may contribute to the mayhem first hand. What do you Guys think?

As an afterthought, I thought that I should post a picture of the model with the cleaned up rotors and engines. Yes, I know I forgot to polish one of the engines. In other news, the glue soaked engines of Triebflugel Jr. have now been cleaned up and now just need a polish.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

036.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

13 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

…we decided was a pretty close match to Tony in his pantomime dame's frock

Oh no it isn't! :D 

Nice one Martian - Merry Christmas!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh no it isn't! :D 

Nice one Martian - Merry Christmas!

Oh yes it is! She's behind you!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

@The Baron remarked that the Triebflugel looked a bit like a Christmas tree. I mentioned this to Mrs Martian and suggested that I should put a bit of tinsel around it to make it a bit festive and did she have a small fairy that we could adorn the top of it? Mrs Martian then had a look in her cake decorating tin and came up trumps with something we decided was a pretty close match to Tony in his pantomime dame's frock, only a bit better looking obviously.

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Thank goodness you hadn't fitted a pitot tube on the end of that thing yet!

As to your good lady Trillian having her own account on here - it would I'm sure bring a much needed fragrance and gentility to these coarse proceedings.

Good to see that you've polished your nozzles for Christmas. :thumbsup:

• Haha 5

I still don't know what it is

I still don't know what its for

But as a Trillian fan since way back then I do know she should be broadcasting to her minions in here

Make it so please, oh esteemed entity from for'n climes and atmospheres

I still don't know what it's for but I am in favour of having a young lady on top of it...

Waits...

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Thank goodness you hadn't fitted a pitot tube on the end of that thing yet!

As to your good lady Trillian having her own account on here - it would I'm sure bring a much needed fragrance and gentility to these coarse proceedings.

Good to see that you've polished your nozzles for Christmas. :thumbsup:

A Martian's nozzles are his own private kingdom and I shall defend mine with my life!

This could be the strangest use that Albion Alloys' tubing has ever been put to. I shall advise the Memsahib of your opinion.

52 minutes ago, perdu said:

I still don't know what it is

I still don't know what its for

But as a Trillian fan since way back then I do know she should be broadcasting to her minions in here

Make it so please, oh esteemed entity from for'n climes and atmospheres

I still don't know what it's for but I am in favour of having a young lady on top of it...

Waits...

I too think she should have the opportunity of adding to the general mayhem or even @general melchett's mayhem. She is certainly well qualified and with a little application could reach the dizzying heights of "Usual Suspect" in record time. Excepting, that is @corsaircorp who we all know was born with "Usual Suspect, handle with care", tattooed on his rear end but I am given to understand that that was considered to be cheating and he was subsequently disqualified and made to start all over again.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I can't help thinking what would happen to this contraption if the wing bearings failed and everything seized up. I hope there was a very large "throwing up bucket" for the pilot!

Oh, and something for the fairy too, to stop her smiling too much!

I'm also in favour of Mrs M dealing out her own mayhem here! 

Merry Christmas all!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Huh ! My rear end is also a private kingdom, I don't worry about defending it...

Since my rear end has its own defense system, forbidden by Geneva's convention but who cares ??? :evil_laugh:

Mrs Martian is surely welcomed here on BM !, She could bring on a bit of common sense...

I just wonder about her first build, Bet opened !!

Great idea for the Fliegende Christbaum !!

Did you offer the Glühwein und Christstollen ?? :evil_laugh:

Good one @perdu, the mechanic's humor seem to be universal...

A garage is one of the last place in the world wich is NOT politically correct...Resistance !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Mrs Martian is surely welcomed here on BM !, She could bring on a bit of common sense...

Mrs Martian says you are clearly tired and emotional.

On 21/12/2019 at 15:18, limeypilot said:

I'm also in favour of Mrs M dealing out her own mayhem here! 

She is certainly capable of giving us lot a run for our money!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

On 21.12.2019 at 02:29, Martian Hale said:

036.jpg

038.jpg

This Santa Claus helper has some wrong deer!

But the Christmas 

tree from Fort Knox around this

wrong deer definitely came out!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that the detail on the side consoles was a bit too anemic for my liking so I started by removing it using micro-chisels and rifler files. Had I had the brains to decide this before I assembled the main cockpit, I could have saved myself a lot of hassle. To ensure a smooth surface, I skinned the top of the consoles with .10 thou plastic card. I am leaving them as they are for the moment as I have some 1/32 FW-190 etch on the way and want to see if it can be made to fit the model. For the same reason, I have merely dry fitted the instrument panel. The reason for this is that Focke-Wulf intended to base the cockpit on the FW-190. If the etch is a no go, then I will have to build all the fittings for the cockpit separately and fit them individually.

After much thought, I cannot conceive how escape from this aircraft could be successfully achieved without the use of an ejector seat so I used the kit seat as a basis for what I hope looks like a German WW2 compressed air seat. I have no idea whether Focke-Wulf would have designed their own seat or bought in another manufacturer's product. It is anyone's guess, unless that is, someone is sitting on a copy of the manufacturer's brochure, in which case, all I can say is hand it over you evil wretch!

Something, I know not what,  made me uneasy about the kit part for the rear decking for the cockpit and, true enough, the fit is poop. I decided that the effort needed to trim, fit, fill and replace lost detail was far more than what it would take to scratch a new item. Muster plastic card party!. I still have to add a bit more structure to the cockpit and a few greebles to tart things up a bit.

I have decided that one side of the aircraft will have the gun bays closed as I want to put some sort of heraldry on the nose and I feel that four panels open will be overkill. I may even just have one panel open.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I feel I need to be up front with you Guys that are following this thread. 

Although the model is still progressing, such progress has been very slow. This is due to my Father being gravely ill in Oxford. This naturally involves frequent trips to visit him. I have also to manage his financial affairs and this has involved trying to pull together over ten years of financial records. These activities are both extremely time consuming and exhausting, and with a recurrence of my back injury, this leaves very little time in my life for modelling at the moment.

I will try and get my builds moved forward and may well start something else as well to try and chill out a bit as I need to get a small amount of "me" time, but please try and be patient with me as my life is not exactly my own at the moment.

Stressed of Mars 👽

• Sad 9

Life, as I have experienced, and told many people in the past, has this unfortunate habit of throwing spanners into things at the worst moments. There we are, merrily sailing along, enjoying ourselves as best we can, then along comes a monkey wrench in the works and - BLAMMO! WHIZZ! PHUT! - leaving us dazed and confused.

There will be plenty of good vibes heading your way. Don’t worry about us. We will still be here, provided we aren’t dealing with our own spanner-related problems, waiting patiently for when you can again find the time to play again.

:grouphug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Life, as I have experienced, and told many people in the past, has this unfortunate habit of throwing spanners into things at the worst moments. There we are, merrily sailing along, enjoying ourselves as best we can, then along comes a monkey wrench in the works and - BLAMMO! WHIZZ! PHUT! - leaving us dazed and confused.

There will be plenty of good vibes heading your way. Don’t worry about us. We will still be here, provided we aren’t dealing with our own spanner-related problems, waiting patiently for when you can again find the time to play again.

:grouphug:

Thanks Heather. It is this kind of support that makes BM the caring, if somewhat eccentric, community it is and raises it head and shoulders above most other modelling websites. I personally draw a lot of strength from it. You are hereby promoted to "Usual Suspect" First Class!

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Seconded Martian - we'll wait, patiently :) 

Cheers Ced, the above comments apply to your good self as well. 

Appreciative of Mars 👽

• Like 2

Yes, I'd like to echo the same sentiments old fella, must be difficult juggling this lot. Mind you, if you're good boy I'll send Darling, Baldric and Speckled Jim round to cheer you up, a game of hopscotch, leap-frog or 'beggar thy neighbour'  (depending on how well you know them of course) may be just the ticket. Hope things get back on track for you both soon... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Yes, I'd like to echo the same sentiments old fella, must be difficult juggling this lot. Mind you, if you're good boy I'll send Darling, Baldric and Speckled Jim round to cheer you up, a game of hopscotch, leap-frog or 'beggar thy neighbour'  (depending on how well you know them of course) may be just the ticket. Hope things get back on track for you both soon... 

Wibble! Thanks Melchie, I'm coping surprisingly well mentally at the moment but with Mrs Martian and My Sister in Law rather unwell at the moment (her husband can't get time off work) and having to ensure a close friend gets to his first PTSD appointment on Tuesday as his wife suffers from agoraphobia, I'm starting to struggle a bit physically. Trouble is that I'm the last Martian standing at the moment.

Harassed of Mars 👽

• Sad 4