Focke Wulfe Triebflugel

Martian

2 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Proceed.  It can only be a matter of time before Tricia MacMillan’s phone number turns up and the sky starts to boil in a most improbable way.

[This post would mean absolutely nothing to anyone unfamiliar with Douglas Adams, but I doubt there are many freaks like that around, so I’m probably safe]

I sincerely hope there are no freaks like that on Britmodeller, That would be a very great failing on our leader's part.

Concerned of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Whofan said:

it is definitely yours - L 114 on the starboard wing (and added sheep off the port engine)

Here's my photo of it, which very strangely is almost identical to the picture in SAM!

SAM_8825

And once again apologies for the thread drift.

Thanks Whofan, no need to apologise for the thread drift, it has become pretty much compulsory with my builds!

Martian 👽 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thread drift!! Is this not like saying that the titanic was hit by an ice cube!

But in fairness I come for the madness and stay for the modelling ( of which there seems to be a surprisingly large amount) or possibly the other way round.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

Thread drift on Martian’s more... uhhh... creative builds tends to be of the Tectonic Plate variety rather than a minor wobble away from a clearly straight line.

[I confess that, in my small way, I might occasionally contribute to that drift.]

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Thread drift!! Is this not like saying that the titanic was hit by an ice cube!

But in fairness I come for the madness and stay for the modelling ( of which there seems to be a surprisingly large amount) or possibly the other way round.

If the Titanic had only drifted half as much as my threads, she would still be afloat!

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thread drift on Martian’s more... uhhh... creative builds tends to be of the Tectonic Plate variety rather than a minor wobble away from a clearly straight line.

[I confess that, in my small way, I might occasionally contribute to that drift.]

Occasionally contribute? You were one of the first to reach the exulted rank of "Usual Suspect".

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Surely this aircraft will henceforth be known as 'The Flying Blurglecruncheon' after this ebullient Martian rendition?

I had not thought of it in that way but I am sure that the afore mentioned suspects will run, nay, sprint with the concept.

Philosophical of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have always assumed that Triebflügel is simply German for “burglecrudgeon”.  Less convinced by the “Flying” bit, though I suppose there’s nothing wrong with an aspirational name.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have always assumed that Triebflügel is simply German for “burglecrudgeon”.  Less convinced by the “Flying” bit, though I suppose there’s nothing wrong with an aspirational name.

I don't have too much trouble with the flying bit, its the getting the thing down safely that no-one seems to have adequately explained. Answers on a post card as to how that might have been achieved and the least ridiculous one wins that much sought after dinner date with General Melchett.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

If you look at some of the whackier German aviation projects, getting them down wasn’t a major concern so long as they got up and shot some things. I mean the piloted Fiesler 105, the natter ( which exploded and killed its test pilot on its first eh flight) the me163 etc

• Like 2

I heard they were developing a giant spider-web type net and were just going to fly straight into it. I believe they ran short of Martians to spin it for them though.

Ian

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

If you look at some of the whackier German aviation projects, getting them down wasn’t a major concern so long as they got up and shot some things. I mean the piloted Fiesler 105, the natter ( which exploded and killed its test pilot on its first eh flight) the me163 etc

Possibly, although this would have clearly been a rather expensive piece of kit. The only thing that has occurred to me is that the Germans did not intend the pilot to land the thing at all and were thinking of doing it by radio control. Always assuming that their mastery of it was sufficiently advanced by that time.

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I heard they were developing a giant spider-web type net and were just going to fly straight into it. I believe they ran short of Martians to spin it for them though.

Ian

Ah, yes, the Spiders from Mars always were in huge demand, being such relatively rare creatures as compared to the rather puny Earthling variety. I understand some thought was given to using General Melchett's moustache  snood until somebody pointed out that he was batting for the opposition. 🏏

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Sorry, couldn't think of a better title for all the bits that one can see on the inside of a ramjet engine so gubbins and thingamybobs will have to do. The kit parts make for a very simple engine but then to look at a Ramjet is just that. The kit parts clean up quite well and their fit is very good. One thing that does need to be done and that will take a bit of time to do is to clean up some of the smaller openings on the fuel spraying matrix as some of these have got a bit flashed over. I shall be attending to this next and will then be able to paint the interior of the engines, prior to getting the rotors buttoned up.

I did order a round base for the model today as I think it might be safer pinned to a base when it is completed.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

021.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

The first piloted Natter flight didn’t explode, but nonetheless was fatal. Good discussion here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_Sieber

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billn53 said:
1 hour ago, billn53 said:

The first piloted Natter flight didn’t explode, but nonetheless was fatal. Good discussion here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_Sieber

Another theory is that the canopy detached accidentally. At this point in the Natter's development the headrest was attached to the canopy and it is thought that this threw Sieber's head back, either rendering him unconscious  or killing him outright by breaking his neck. We will; doubtless be returning to this subject in due course as Mrs Martian has got me the new Natter book and a couple of Natter kits as part of my Christmas and Birthday presents. For some reason, the Natter is one of my favourite aircraft.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ramjet gubbins? are they not for unblocking plugholes?

Nah! According to Captain Slack bladder, a dead hamster called Neville with a curtain rod up his backside is best suited to that particular task. My best friend, Neville had a narrow escape at Telford when General Melchett, having got the idea that Neville was a large hamster and arrived at the event with a particularly large and shiny curtain rod. Neville kept his back firmly to the wall while we explained the confusion to a rather disappointed member of the Imperial General Staff.

Martian (Clarifying the Galaxy's conundrums since Stardate 131219.61) 👽

Bonkers rating now running at 95.65217391304348%

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ramjet gubbins? are they not for unblocking plugholes?

(In finest North Yorkshire accent) 'I thought he were a prize fighter from Kirkby-Overblow, near Harragit like', shows how much I know....

Not sure if landing the contraption was of major concern really, I think the pilot was supposed to 'eject' (jump out at speed) once the 'mission' was over and after the rotors had been violently released from the fuselage via explosive bolts. This is assuming, of course that they didn't strike said fuselage at near-sonic speed and reduce the contrivance and it's driver into their various component parts.  I'm also guessing that 95% of the fuel will have been used up on take off, stabilizing and getting the thing to climb in some semblance of a vertical trajectory in order to gain enough height to give the suicidally inclined pilot, hapless ground crew and local wildlife a sporting chance at survival (the remaining 5% used to get six feet nearer to the target). Dangerous business, all this flying Luft'46 fantasy, daft thingymabobs malarky...

Those enginey bits look rather natty Martian...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, general melchett said:

(In finest North Yorkshire accent) 'I thought he were a prize fighter from Kirkby-Overblow, near Harragit like', shows how much I know....

Not sure if landing the contraption was of major concern really, I think the pilot was supposed to 'eject' (jump out at speed) once the 'mission' was over and after the rotors had been violently released from the fuselage via explosive bolts. This is assuming, of course that they didn't strike said fuselage at near-sonic speed and reduce the contrivance and it's driver into their various component parts.  I'm also guessing that 95% of the fuel will have been used up on take off, stabilizing and getting the thing to climb in some semblance of a vertical trajectory in order to gain enough height to give the suicidally inclined pilot, hapless ground crew and local wildlife a sporting chance at survival (the remaining 5% used to get six feet nearer to the target). Dangerous business, all this flying Luft'46 fantasy, daft thingymabobs malarky...

We do know that the brochure that Focke-Wulf prepared for the RLM survived the war. David Myhra's book (ISBN 0-7643-1877-2.) drawing quite heavily from it. I would love to see a full copy and see for myself what the company had to say about some of these apparent conundrums. They certainly managed to persuade some senior members of the RLM that this scheme was a goer. It is interesting that you should mention an ejector seat as I have been thinking that one would have been essential.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

If not...

The explosive bolts are done to eject the rotor in the middle of a bomber box....

It give at last one chance to shoot something....

But your ancestor has to land that... thing on a destroyer platform, I'm thinking of a reinforced landing gear for my navalysed version

Why stayin' serious, I like to push the lunacy to the infinite and beyond....

But it's not really a big surprise, is'nt it ??

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

IWhy stayin' serious, I like to push the lunacy to the infinite and beyond....

But it's not really a big surprise, is'nt it ??

CC

You are quite right CC, its not a surprise at all!

Unsurprised of Mars 👽 

• Haha 1

The explosive bolts are done to eject the rotor in the middle of a bomber box....

It give at last one chance to shoot something....

This is assuming the Treblefleghoobel managed to haul itself up there without flow-excited acoustic resonance from the ramjets causing a gratuitous and instant TEF (Total Existence Failure) of the airframe, not to mention the severe nausea affecting the psychoactive drugs needed to get little Wernher strapped into the thing in the first place.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the something in 'one last chance to shoot something' would probably be itself...

• Haha 3

On 11/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have always assumed that Triebflügel is simply German for “burglecrudgeon”.  

"Did you say fluggegecheimen ?" (С)

😁😁😁

As I see from video  is something in common in the concept Triebflügel & fluggegecheimen!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

Whoa......you got a book from Mrs M about Natter? Any time a woman gives you something with the word "natter" in it, be afraid, be VERY afraid!

Or go to the pub pdq!

Ian

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

"Did you say fluggegecheimen ?" (С)

😁😁😁

As I see from video  is something in common in the concept Triebflügel & fluggegecheimen!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

It looks like she has pinched General Melchett's regimental party frock. And she seems to have nicked my spare blurglecruncheon and kidnapped Melchie's regimental monkey. He's going to be well happy when he finds out!

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Whoa......you got a book from Mrs M about Natter? Any time a woman gives you something with the word "natter" in it, be afraid, be VERY afraid!

Or go to the pub pdq!

Ian

Fret ye not Ian. There is a new and very large book on the Natter out and this is what she has got me. Standard procedure here at Martian Towers is that every Telford, Mrs Martian and my Sister in Law give me a wad of cash and tell me to go and but my own Birthday and Christmas presents as the two events are only twelve days apart. This ensures I end up with presents I like. Even I can't screw that up.

Martian the Fortunate 👽

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Hmmmmm........

Ian

Great plan though!

Nice to see you have full confidence in me Ian!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2