Focke Wulfe Triebflugel

Martian

I predate those rockets a bit. I did have a set with an actual solid fuel rocket but never got it to work (in my day science toys were much more Darwinian) 

I did visit the OMSI in Portland Oregon and spent a happy half hour or so playing with their air/water bottle rockets ( such a fun place, we didn’t want to leave) which is as close as I come to actual rocketry, unless of course you count my visit to cape Kennedy (cape Arbuckle ?) whence I did get to stand beside an actual Saturn V (Probably the biggest thing I’ve stood beside that isn’t a building)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

I've reposted the image Mike, it's the Park Plastics Water Rocket

That's the very same one. General! Brought back a lot of memories and a lot of time-outs and restrictions for targeting my sister and her pals. (Restrictions at that time consisted of not being allowed to fly my control line stunt models- very effective, too!) Thanks for the re-post. I guess in today's PC environment, neither they or the famous "spud gun" would be allowed! Used to plink our cat with one when sis wasn't around!

Mike

Sooooo, when do we get to see a Melchett-built Vulcan B2, if I might be permitted to stray off-topic?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's it just set the General off why don't you!

I refuse to be drawn into this one, suffice to say that while bias is not a dirty word, 'Triebflugel', almost definitely is...

it would have proved incredibly hard to land safely as did other tail sitting designs such as the Lockheed Salmon and Convair Pogo.

Good point Martian, I have a sneaking suspicion the inaugural flight might have gone something like this....Mr Armstrong here was rather lucky not to end up in the flames.

Night out and Melchett.....big problem

Well, that's nice isn't it! am I too old, too crusty? if you're really good I promise to wear my finest regimental mustache snood for the occasion.

Sooooo, when do we get to see a Melchett-built Vulcan B2, if I might be permitted to stray off-topic?)

Just as soon as they let me have a test shot for the magazine. Hopefully, though, I'll have something along the same lines, (well, exactly the same lines, to be fair), only in a slightly larger scale to keep you going before then...:wicked:

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I too had one of those rockets! Great fun as a kid. (They went pretty well in the horizontal plane too, if you had a good target!)

Wait a sec.

Bonkers and Martian, in the same sentance....I see no problem there.

Night out and Melchett.....big problem!

@corsaircorp, we may need a large order of Belgian rocket fuel, some curry, a parrot, and a goat!

Ian

If the General is involved I would leave the goat out.

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

(Probably the biggest thing I’ve stood beside that isn’t a building)

Apart from the time you stood next to me when I had my trousers down.

45 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

That's the very same one. General! Brought back a lot of memories and a lot of time-outs and restrictions for targeting my sister and her pals. (Restrictions at that time consisted of not being allowed to fly my control line stunt models- very effective, too!) 

All sounds like pretty reasonable behaviour to me!

13 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Well, that's nice isn't it! am I too old, too crusty? if you're really good I promise to wear my finest regimental mustache snood for the occasion.

Steady on with the kinky stuff, we don't want the mods on our case!

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

220px-Krustytheclown.pngNah, looks nothing like you. Well, except for the red nose.

Now there's a thought for the General's party frock for next year. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Roots? No, not the General's greying locks but the rotor roots of which the very same spoke of a few posts back. These are clearly a potential weak point on the model and need some thinking about. Fortunately for you Earthlings thinking of building this contraption, I have done the thinking bit for you. The rotor collar has some pretty hefty inserts to hold the rotors so we are good to go on that front. However we don't need the plastic root itself snapping off. My approach to this was as follows: First a rib was manufactured from '40 'thou plastic card and glued into place about 1/2 inch outboard of the kit root. Next I carefully drilled out the centre of the spigot that attaches the rotor to the collar so that it would accept a reasonably hefty diameter of Albion Alloys' brass tube. The new rib was also drilled as well. The tube was then cut to length and inserted and glued into the two holes. The spigot on the kit part now has to overcome the resistance of the brass tube before it can break so effectively it is going nowhere. The engines at the end of the rotors are very light and do not effect any great leverage on the roots of the rotors. You will probably see what I mean much better from the pictures.

I am beginning to think that this kit would be a good model for modellers with a few kits under their belts who are looking to try something in a larger scale. Thus far the vices are few and readily sorted out and as long as period colours are used, one can paint the model in pretty much any scheme one wants and not be proved wrong.

Finally I remembered a promise to @corsaircorp to include a picture of a very nice Belgian beer glass he gave me at Telford showing some of his rocket fuel being consumed.

Thanks for looking, off to sort out the other two rotors now.

Martian 👽

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nil Desperandum. We may yet find a way of persuading Mme Corsair Corp to see the wisdom of letting you attend Telford every year. How would she react to a democratic vote on the subject?

Martian the Democrat 👽 (Stop laughing you lot!)

Dear democratic Admiral of the Poole galactic fleet... I will give you the FB page of Mme Corsaircorp...

It's almost a war to achieve an attendance a year every 2 years...

I tried even to bring her with me...

Oh and did I mention that Frau Corsaircorp is german ??

What is pretty amazing to me, is the fact that almost every country labelled democratic is just the contrary of that.... 

Exemple ? Democratic republic of Germany... :rofl2: We are on a Triebfluget thread after all !

17 hours ago, Norman said:

Martian the Democrat !

:giggle:

I also burst in laugh in reading your post... :cheers:

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wait.. WAIT!!  Did somebody (somebody Belgian, to be precise) say that there is a realistic prospect of a 1/48 Firebrand and Shark??  Be still my beating heart!  Give me those over made-up Nazi nonsense, any day of the week.

OK, CC, I’ll humour your idea of a twin Triebflügel (Twiebflügel?).  [Or, to pick up and run with @72modeler’s excellent description, a twin tub blender with MG151s].  But the rotors have to be counter-rotating, obviously, so good luck with designing that one.  And someone will need to get one or two flight control computers back to 1946 in their time machine to make it controllable on take-off and landing, but these are mere details.  Or maybe not; maybe the completely frictionless bearing (yeah, right!) that meant the first one wouldn’t need an anti-torque device, honest guv, has been perfected yet further in our Chimay-fuelled future, and supplemented with an anti-gravity device.

By the way, what is “suspension of disbelief” in German?  And “complete tosh”?

[Incidentally (to be slightly serious for a second) one of the (many) things that nark me about the whole Luft 46 thing [which to my mind has distinctly uncomfortable overtones of how simply wonderful those lovely Nazi engineers were, if only we could overlook their lack of tact with the Untermenschen] is the way that the box art always portrays sexy science [*cough*] fiction machines scything their way through hapless Allied aircraft (qv flaming Liberator box art on this very kit).  Always hapless Allied aircraft circa 1944, obviously; we wouldn’t want to puncture the delicious fantasy by allowing the other side’s technology to advance, would we?  This is all about Nazi superiority!]

Sigh.  It’s no good.  I loved the Martian Fallen Madonna /Herr Flick Haunebu build, so whatever my deep distaste for the whole Luft 46 genre... ya got me.  I’m in, provided it’s completely bonkers.  But this is a Martian build; why am I even asking?

Hello Crisp,

I bought the Combat Kit Firebrand TF2, it's a 1/48 resin kit, but they have the whole range of Firebrand, the -4 and -5

With or without folding wings,it look like a good kit

Now, there ill be an injected -4 next year

About the Shark, the guy was surprised, I tell him that, next time, it will great to have a Blackburn Blackburn or a Shark

When I mentionned the Shark, the guy was surprised and asked me how I know it....

And finally told me that the Shark is on her way...

Now, I'm not a great fan of the Luft 46, but here, it's far too tempting for my low resistance...

So I plunge in the Poole... 

Thanks for your sound advice

Are we that crazy ?? Yes indeed we are... Usual suspects Gang

I'm composing a good back story to go with these builds, Do not expect something serious...

Curry or Chilli ?? The goat had bad memories fo the Chilli, so Curry is a good option...

I'll ask the @general melchett to make his best to slow that brexit stuff a bit in order to get the heavy load of rocket fuel through the customs...:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I'll ask the @general melchett to make his best to slow that brexit stuff a bit in order to get the heavy load of rocket fuel through the customs...:cheers:

Don't worry about that CC, I know all the right persons and have a cunning plan that cannot fail.

You enter the UK on the Cherbourg ferry and we secretly paint Pilot Launch on the sides of one of our MVS vessels. As we come alongside the Barfleur, you unobtrusively dangle industrial quantities of beer over the side of the vessel. We then tell the captain of the ferry that we were called out in error and meet up with you at Martian Towers. Apart from the danger that the MVS crew might guzzle the ale, what could possibly go wrong?

Sensible of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Sensible of Mars 👽

Blimey Martian the sensible do you actually consume much Belgian Beer ? 

I tried some a few days ago

I spilt some on my model bench that has various coats of paint, plastic glue , super glue and other modelling detritus on it

It dissolved the lot !!

I drank what remained in the bottle and then slept for two days

Cautious and Hungover from Straya !!

🥴

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

I spilt some on my model bench that has various coats of paint, plastic glue , super glue and other modelling detritus on it

It dissolved the lot !!

🥴

Only really consume the stuff when @corsaircorp brings the stuff over on one of his attempts to drink me under the table. He has yet to succeed! At least you seem to have found a substitute for Tamiya Extra Thin.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Norman said:

It dissolved the lot !!

🥴

Hang on a minute! You are from Australia, one of the booze capitals of the Solar System. What's all this about part of a bottle finishing you off? I need another beer to get over the shock! :frantic:

Stunned of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

Ahhhhh 

Ooooohhhh

Ya sprung me....it was a few medium size Bottles i /we consumed in model shed session with my son in law , to be honest amongst other senses i lost the ability to count after consuming two or was it three, ahhhhhhh what was the question again

Honest of Straya 

😅

(Who has found an Amusing Hobby 1/48 Tribethingy in his stash.....can i join in the buildathon ?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Norman said:

obby kitAhhhhh 

Ooooohhhh

Ya sprung me....it was a few medium size Bottles i /we consumed in model shed session with my son in law , to be honest amongst other senses i lost the ability to count after consuming two or was it three, ahhhhhhh what was the question again

Honest of Straya 

😅

(Who has found an Amusing Hobby 1/48 Tribethingy in his stash.....can i join in the buildathon ?)

That's better! Vets call outs can be so expensive!

Of course you can join in the buildathon. When I get my Amusing Hobby kit underway, it will be interesting to compare our experiences.

Martian 👽

16 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Of course you can join in the buildathon. When I get my Amusing Hobby kit underway, it will be interesting to compare our experiences.

Oooooh Goooodie

Thanks berry mooch Martian the benevolent your royal highness

Overwhelmed Downunder

🦘🦘

Its 40 degrees here today and blowing a gale i might go get some Belgian beer............

• Haha 3

Good fix on the Tribblerotor Martian, looks like it'll take the strain...until it starts spinning up of course, but that's another matter.

I'll ask the general melchett to make his best to slow that brexit stuff a bit in order to get the heavy load of rocket fuel through the customs...

I'm already on the case CC, I've arranged a secret liason with some easily compromised mid-level bureaucrats with the lure of a few crates of Lady M's finest Old Joxtrapp home brew I was saving for the impending yuletide Wine and anthrax thrash here at Melchett Towers. I dare say a lot of moolah will also need to pass hands to wrap up the deal but just leave it with me...you can pay the bar tab later.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, invidia said:

Nearly finished my miniart kit,  word of warning, you need to reinforce the undercarriage door petals, I keep knocking them off!! And maybe use brass rod for the legs.  Great build, enjoyed it.

I have been thinking of some sort of bell crank mechanism for the petals. Made from Albion Alloy's stuff that should do the trick or I may have the thing pinned to a base for ease of transport.

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Good fix on the Tribblerotor Martian, looks like it'll take the strain...until it starts spinning up of course, but that's another matter.

Thanks Melchie. No spinning will be happening on this model.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Alcohol consumption not withstanding. :beer:

Of course ale will be taken. Have you ever been near a Martian deprived of beer?

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

Today has been spent strengthening the roots of other two wings/rotors, whatever you want to call them and we now have basic airframe, ready for The Diamante Baron, Tanzmeister, Rudolf von Klinkerhoff-Melchett to hop in and take it for it's maiden flight round the kitchen. Hang on a minute, apparently Mrs Martian says it will have to be someone else's kitchen since he is banned ever since the incident with the clotted cream, the egg whisk and Speckled Jim last Christmas. Anyway, we at least have an idea as to the size of the finished beast.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽 

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Umm excuse the off topic moment here, if you please; Whilst meandering through SMW I spied a rather exotically painted SM - 79 lurking on a table in the competition area, and a little nagging thought said I know that model, forgot to see if it had won anything, and moved on.

Imagine my surprise on page 43 of the December SAM I see a photo of said model. Followed by a sudden thought - "that's Martian's Lebanese SM - 79!"

And so it is/was.

Did you win anything for it?I

By the way, enjoying the Triebflugel build. I can't help thinking it both looks and sound like something you might have arrived in from Mars!

• Like 3

The trouserfliebel is looking magnificent in it's erect, 'rotors out' posture, I assume there are some enginey things to go in them there ramjet johnnies... 

ready for The Diamante Baron, Tanzmeister, Rudolf von Klinkerhoff-Melchett to hop in and take it for it's maiden flight round the kitchen. 

Well, old Klinky's four times removed on my paternal uncles mothers parrot's side to be fair, so a wee bit distant from me. The incident you mention has now been largely forgotten by most with the exception of the owner of the egg whisk and the unlucky recipient, Speckled Jim, who now has to wear a prosthetic, take muscle'relaxants' five times a day and flies with a distinct limp....he sends his insincerest regards... 

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Whofan said:

Umm excuse the off topic moment here, if you please; Whilst meandering through SMW I spied a rather exotically painted SM - 79 lurking on a table in the competition area, and a little nagging thought said I know that model, forgot to see if it had won anything, and moved on.

Imagine my surprise on page 43 of the December SAM I see a photo of said model. Followed by a sudden thought - "that's Martian's Lebanese SM - 79!"

And so it is/was.

Did you win anything for it?I

By the way, enjoying the Triebflugel build. I can't help thinking it both looks and sound like something you might have arrived in from Mars!

I haven't seen the magazine but it sounds like my model but sadly it didn't win anything. A lot of people said they liked it though, which was nice.

14 hours ago, general melchett said:

The trouserfliebel is looking magnificent in it's erect, 'rotors out' posture, I assume there are some enginey things to go in them there ramjet johnnies... 

Well, old Klinky's four times removed on my paternal uncles mothers parrot's side to be fair, so a wee bit distant from me. The incident you mention has now been largely forgotten by most with the exception of the owner of the egg whisk and the unlucky recipient, Speckled Jim, who now has to wear a prosthetic, take muscle'relaxants' five times a day and flies with a distinct limp....he sends his insincerest regards... 

Indeed there are internals for the engine pods. At the moment I am concentrating on any potential problems with the model so that others building the kit may be forewarned.

Martian👽

PS: Mrs Martian says we are all off our collective rockers. Can't think where she could have got that outrageous notion from?

PPS: I just did a quick check for the benefit of @Ex-FAAWAFU and discovered that this thread is already 94.84536082474227‬% bonkers* and that's before we get going on the diorama. Will that do Crisp?

*That's even dafter than the original design!

• Haha 4

Proceed.  It can only be a matter of time before Tricia MacMillan’s phone number turns up and the sky starts to boil in a most improbable way.

[This post would mean absolutely nothing to anyone unfamiliar with Douglas Adams, but I doubt there are many freaks like that around, so I’m probably safe]

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I haven't seen the magazine but it sounds like my model but sadly it didn't win anything. A lot of people said they liked it though, which was nice.

it is definitely yours - L 114 on the starboard wing (and added sheep off the port engine)

Here's my photo of it, which very strangely is almost identical to the picture in SAM!

SAM_8825

And once again apologies for the thread drift.

• Like 6