Just what every modeller wants - a reason to eat Cheeto's!

I'm trying something new for my Spit XIVe build in 1/48.  For the rear view mirror, I used my punch set to punch out a disc from a Cheeto's bag (Ya - this is the reason I had that, sure) and attached the shiny mylar side to the scratch built mirror with Zap-a-gap. Looks good to me!

Image51

Image52

Image53

There you go, when you build a Spit or Hurricane, you need putty, paint and Cheeto's! 

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I'm trying something new for my Spit XIVe build in 1/48.  For the rear view mirror, I used my punch set to punch out a disc from a Cheeto's bag (Ya - this is the reason I had that, sure) and attached the shiny mylar side to the scratch built mirror with Zap-a-gap. Looks good to me!

Image51

Image52

Image53

There you go, when you build a Spit or Hurricane, you need putty, paint and Cheeto's! 

Very nice. one quick question what on earth is a Cheeto?

Selwyn

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Very nice. one quick question what on earth is a Cheeto?

Selwyn

Cheeto's are the primary nutrition source for computer geeks and North American modelers. Combined with Whiskey or Beer, they are the fuel that drives innovation and accomplishment.

Many snack foods use the same silvered Mylar packaging - Cheeto's are just the best ones!

• Haha 3

😄

One wonders if orangey fingerprints in the paintwork be massaged into some semblance of weathering.

I was dismayed when Nestle discontinued the thin foil inner wrapper from their Crunch bars, it was the best chrome foil I've ever found.  Then Kit Kat stopped providing a little modeling lagniappe in their packaging.  😟

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I was dismayed when Nestle discontinued the thin foil inner wrapper from their Crunch bars, it was the best chrome foil I've ever found.  Then Kit Kat stopped providing a little modeling lagniappe in their packaging.  😟

I have always considered snack foods to be integral to modelling!  I'm told that the wrappers from Rollo's are perfect color for the orange-gold mylar heat shield foil on the Lunar Lander!  One of these days (probably when I tackle the F.M Halifax) I'm going to experiment with Vodka as a thinner!

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Cheeto's are the primary nutrition source for computer geeks and North American modelers. Combined with Whiskey or Beer, they are the fuel that drives innovation and accomplishment.

Many snack foods use the same silvered Mylar packaging - Cheeto's are just the best ones!

I use Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisp  bags personally!

Selwyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

I have a stash of those! 😁

Lucky barstid!  I wasn't notified of the pending revisions and so failed to lay in a stockpile.  😄

I suppose I could painstakingly separate the paper from fag packet foil?

Good tip for the Rolo wrappers, Tail-dragon.  I shall have to start hanging on to them.  They'll fit right in the box full of wine foil, tea sachets, little aluminium tea-light cups, styrene package bits, springs from dead lighters... Whoever settles my estate is going to wonder WTF. 😑

Edited by Jackson Duvalier
atroshus spellnig
  • Haha 4

A number of years ago, when I didn't have much spare time to do any modeling building, I did a little experimenting, doing something with the mylar wrapper from a pack of chewing gum that the missus had thrown away. I still have that mylar sheet.

Chris

• Like 1

Well, Muller Corner yogurt comes in a styrene pot. That's right, our glue works on it! 

You get thick areas, curved sections, and the walls are thin and just right for seat harnesses - and many other things... 

Surely a healthier lifestyle choice? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Good tip for the Rolo wrappers, Tail-dragon.  I shall have to start hanging on to them.  They'll fit right in the box full of wine foil, tea sachets, little aluminium tea-light cups, styrene package bits, springs from dead lighters... Whoever settles my estate is going to wonder WTF. 😑

Unless they are a modeller, in which case they will simply smile knowingly ;) 

My daughter loves the Lego 'Friends' sets and we have lots of fun putting them together. Plus there's almost always a set of shiny silver stickers for detail and the spare bits are also ideal for mirrors or lights.

22 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, Muller Corner yogurt comes in a styrene pot. That's right, our glue works on it! 

You get thick areas, curved sections, and the walls are thin and just right for seat harnesses - and many other things... 

Surely a healthier lifestyle choice? 

Funny you should mention that - here in Canada, Safeway's bake shop uses thin, clear plastic vacuformed boxes for their donuts, muffins, croissants etc. The plastic is about .005" thick - the exact width if a razor saw cut. I've been using it for the gunsight lenses for a couple of years - just saw a slot across the sight, and slip the piece of clear in.  It can even be bent to the proper angle, so your slot can be vertical and shallow.

Cockpit 3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Funny you should mention that - here in Canada, Safeway's bake shop uses thin, clear plastic vacuformed boxes for their donuts, muffins, croissants etc. The plastic is about .005" thick - the exact width if a razor saw cut. I've been using it for the gunsight lenses for a couple of years - just saw a slot across the sight, and slip the piece of clear in.  It can even be bent to the proper angle, so your slot can be vertical and shallow.

Cockpit 3

The bakery in the Sobey's, just up the street about a klick, has the same type containers. One container would make a lot of 1/72 clear parts. 

I'll tell my wife that I needed to buy that dozen blueberry muffins because I need the clear plastic. I'm sure she'll believe that.

Chris

• Haha 1

All the major UK supermarkets use those clear plastic containers for their bakery products...

....after consuming the original contents, they're actually very useful for storing spares, etc,..

....being transparent, it's easy to see what's being kept in them - I've quite a few in such use!

• Like 1

'Er 'Ighness just took me to see the new Midway movie*.

I succumbed to the siren lure of cinema nachos.  The little tubs the purportedly edible cheese-like nacho goop came in looked like excellent cowl flap material, and... why is she looking at me like that? 😋

*Entertaining enough, but some real head scratchers WRT the aircraft depicted.

Edited by Jackson Duvalier