Dragon 1:35 U.S. 1st Infantry Division “Big Red One”

Hello friends,

this time I have a great and well known kit from the Dragon:

49064342497_95722c4ce0_k.jpg

I wanted to build it from the mid 1990s when I first saw this kit at my friend’s house. It’s a typical Dragon moulding from 1992 with a very good sculpting and perfect artwork from Ronald Volstad. An artwork represents the four infantrymen in their very motley equipment and that’s the main reason why I want to put my hands on it.

The painting guide on the back of the box:

49064129906_e56b1bfdf9_k.jpg

Actually, I don’t decided yet which paints I’ll choose: Mr.HOBBY or AK Interactive...

The sprue with the soldiers and ammunition:

49064342222_724d476665_k.jpg

Same, the other side:

49063616238_39db1f49cc_k.jpg

The little sprue with the weapons:

49064341752_7977123552_k.jpg

And other side of this sprue:

49064129551_85ddf9ce53_k.jpg

The weapons looks fantastic, I haven’t seen more exciting rifles and machine guns in the 1:35th scale. 

OK, let’s start! 😋

• Like 3

Well,

the main assembly was very straightforward and all the four infantrymen already done:

49064129371_15f06fb0ef_k.jpg

Next time I’ll clean up the ammunition and weapons parts. Thanks for looking! 😉

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends! 🙂

After priming I decided to go with an interesting painting set from AK Interactive:

49067467138_8a7980aacf_k.jpg

The vests were airbrushed (take a care while working with this acrylics - it’s really easy to clog an airbrush) and painted. I’m really like the Chocolate Chip camouflage pattern and it was pleasure to paint it:

49219544157_af123dd9ea_k.jpg

Also I painted the rifles and machine-gun. Despite the camouflage looks like new and a bit bright, I’m pretty happy with the results. The next thing is the Woodland pattern that I never did before...

Thanks for looking! 🐈

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 593jones said:

Looking very good, I especially like the soldier probing for mines with his bayonet, something I was trained(!) to do many years ago!

Thank you! I think it’s very scary for the first time... 😬 And I like the second guy in chemical suit, especially his shiny green shoes!

• Like 1

I've been meaning to take the plunge of a dragon figure kit for a very long time. This is definitely going somewhere around the top. They look fantastic! Great job! That camouflage paint work is amazing, I am really impressed. 

I look forward to seeing the finished project, thanks for sharing!

Steven

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2019 at 12:19, ewing9593 said:

I've been meaning to take the plunge of a dragon figure kit for a very long time.

Which kit? 😉

This is definitely going somewhere around the top. They look fantastic! Great job!

Thank you very much Steven for this kind of words! ☺️

That camouflage paint work is amazing, I am really impressed. 

I like it too, it turned out really well. I'm already done some additional painting works, including the U.S. Woodland pattern on some figures.

I look forward to seeing the finished project, thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your interest! 🤝

Hello guys,

I continue working with a figures and looks like I finally decided which brush is suitable for most of my needs. Not so thin and not a flat at all - the brush that I can feed with a paint and do some accurate and precise work. It comes in a MENG excellent brush set and pictured below.

Back to the “Big Red One”, I applied the base layers of a paint on some guys among the U.S. Woodland camouflage on others:

49246210923_eb0222d1b7_k.jpg

Now I became more familiar with the AK Interactive acrylics and set the paint with a thin, diluted layers - it takes some time and needs some practice, but looks like I wish in the end.

@593jones, interestingly, the man with a bayonet has a happy face and for me looks more like a James Bond... 😬

Thanks for watching! 👏

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, 593jones said:

The happy face means he hasn't come up against anything mine shaped yet.

Sure, I told him that the mine is made of plastic! 😉

Interestingly that the Dragon 3011 U.S. 101st Air Assault kit has an unlisted 5th, laughing head.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:34 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

49064129371_15f06fb0ef_k.jpg

🤔

A good illustration for a poster: "Do not touch explosive objects, otherwise you will be left without a head!"

B.R.

Serge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK friends,

some progress occurred on the kit... 👏

I applied the base flesh coats to the faces and hands along with a very subtle shadows on the CPO (Chemical Protective Overgarment):

49288423163_a36cc7269b_k.jpg

Also I finished painting the Woodland camouflage on the tanned man’s trousers and the Chocolate Chip uniform on the guy with a bayonet:

49288422888_7ef66390d0_k.jpg

The group shot with an M9 Chemical Agent Detector Paper painted:

49289116692_52fb5bac0e_k.jpg

Looks well for me, hope you’ll like it too! 😉

• Like 6

Great progress. Your patience and hand control for the camouflage has really impressed me. When I get round to purchasing some figures I think I'll have to get in touch for some hints, tips and tricks.

Enjoy the rest of the project, I'm still watching.

Steven 

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2019 at 19:50, ewing9593 said:

Great progress.

Thank you Steven! 🤝

Your patience and hand control for the camouflage has really impressed me.

I’m just decided to take a small breaks between the layers/colors and use a toothpick for some details - sometimes it’s good to use the flexible tools that I’m familiar with... 😬

When I get round to purchasing some figures I think I'll have to get in touch for some hints, tips and tricks.

Feel free to join my builds of ask the questions, but remember that I’m not an artist at all: I can glue and build almost everything, but I’m not so skilled at painting and most of the figure modellers can say that I’m not following the modern trends and stay absolutely old school-ish.

Enjoy the rest of the project, I'm still watching.

Thanks again, I think I’ll add some interesting details to see.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hello friends,

sorry for my half-year absence here, but now it’s time to show you some progress! 🙂

I returned to these guys for painting the Desert Night Camouflage on the first figure - the part that I’m avoiding of. Actually, it wasn’t so difficult, here’s the pictures:

50111024563_b7dc0010e7_k.jpg

As you can see, I also finished painting the main areas:

50111024413_8121e16610_k.jpg

Next is the skin, thanks for looking! 😸

• Like 3

Hello Britmodellers! 🙂

Last night I finished the painting the faces (except for the irises). I’m not an artist, so I put the basic layers of shadows and lights. Also I performed some touch-ups and that’s what I want to share with you:

50121885027_ff91c2b980_k.jpg

A closer look at the «finished» figures and their faces:

50121092673_b340eeefb9_k.jpg

This morning I applied the clear coat to protect the paint job and for the future application of the washes. The one thing I’m aware of is the shining of the clear coat - hope the final flat coat will reduce it - I had some problems with it in the past.

Hope you’re like it, thanks for watching! 🤝

• Like 6

Well gents,

after some little tweaks with ammunition and weapons, the moderate amount of weathering was added and the final matt varnish applied on the figures:

50143980632_b2fe3a5eee_k.jpg

The soldiers looks a bit shiny on photos, but their suits are dull in the real life:

50143980547_21bfee3c5d_k.jpg

Also I added the gun belts and of course, tried to do the best work with their faces:

50143742671_9c752a873e_k.jpg

Luckily, the Dragon sculptors make the great relief of persons for each figure, so I just highlighted the details. At the moment I can call the build finished, but I’ll return to it as soon as I have the small diorama base - just a bit of sand to place the guys on their feet.

Thank you! 😉

• Like 9

Beautiful work. The chocolate chip and the night camo parka are excellent.

The beauty of Gulf War equipment is that everything is mixed and matched so you can pick any combination.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John_W said:

Beautiful work. The chocolate chip and the night camo parka are excellent.

Thank you John! 🤝

19 hours ago, John_W said:

The beauty of Gulf War equipment is that everything is mixed and matched so you can pick any combination.

Exactly, and that’s why I picked this kit. Firstly, for the memories, and secondly - for that variety. I’ve never seen the Desert Night Camouflage pattern before, or just don’t remember it.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 10:33, phildagreek said:

That is very neat work, well done!

Thank you!

On 01/08/2020 at 12:35, Clogged said:

Love it!  Great attention to detail.

Thanks a lot! It wasn’t so intentional, I just add some small details and... add more - I don’t know why, but it’s easy for me to do a small painting jobs. Or it was a mojo! 😉

On 01/08/2020 at 12:35, Clogged said:

Personally,  I would cut the eye balls in half with the eye lids  however🙂

That’s reasonable and very good advice, I didn’t figure it out it before. Thank you, will try it on the next figure set.

• Like 1