Hey Bulldog!

72modeler

I thought it best not to incur the wrath of Julien or Mike, so I will post this as a new forum discussion topic instead of taking the original topic on 1930's biplane finishes further off course. Pulled several kits out of storage after reading  the comments on the 1/72 Airfix Bulldog prop. For what it's worth, here goes!

The Airfix prop is indeed bass ackwards, with the flat side to the front and the airfoil side to the rear- very, very difficult to correct, especially as the prop blades are molded to the spinner and Hucks starter dog.

The prop and spinner from the Matchbox Siskin is a very good match- correct length, blade profile, spinner, and rotation. The prop and spinner from a Matchbox, Heller, or Frog Gladiator are very good matches as far as the prop blades are concerned, but the spinners are not the same as the ones on the Bulldog- again, very hard to correct as the blades and spinner are molded as one.

The spinner from the Matchbox Fury is a match, but the direction of rotation is the opposite of the radial-engined Siskin and Gauntlet/Gladiator/Bulldog. (I don't have any of the Gauntlet kits- Aeroclub or AZ, but I would think they would work as well.

I know Airfix is about to re-release their Bulldog, and while I am betting it will have new, much nicer decals, I wish (and it's a dream, I know!) they would consider adding a new sprue with a correct prop, and cockpit parts- they could do the same for the Demon, and I sure wouldn't mind paying more for a "revised" tooling!

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Or you could use the Kora replacement prop?

And Yahu do a very nice instrument panel.

PR

Hello Peter i agree the Kora is the best option but about as common as 🦄💩 this side of the Atlantic. Ive tried finding one as well no joy, even Hannants shows them out of stock. Ordering from the U.K. or E.U. is a very bad option for myself and others as we don't always have the budget. Personally I'm on Disability and my modeling budget is about $200-$300 dollars a year. And most of that goes to paint and other supplies. So some of us make do by finding a correct prop the old fashioned way by stealing it from a another kit. I know Mike and in this case he has more than one kit of the others, so he can borrow the prop from one. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Ah, understand Dennis. If you can spring for these parts, you can put them on a watch list and Hannants will notify you when they come in, so you get to catch them before they go out-of-stock. But nothing wrong with good old fashioned modelling! :) 

I was lucky enough to score a prop. Just have to deal with the upper wing joins ...... :( 

PR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:08 PM, 72modeler said:

The Airfix prop is indeed bass ackwards, with the flat side to the front and the airfoil side to the rear- very, very difficult to correct, especially as the prop blades are molded to the spinner and Hucks starter dog.

The prop and spinner from the Matchbox Siskin is a very good match- correct length, blade profile, spinner, and rotation. The prop and spinner from a Matchbox, Heller, or Frog Gladiator are very good matches as far as the prop blades are concerned, but the spinners are not the same as the ones on the Bulldog- again, very hard to correct as the blades and spinner are molded as one.

The spinner from the Matchbox Fury is a match, but the direction of rotation is the opposite of the radial-engined Siskin and Gauntlet/Gladiator/Bulldog. (I don't have any of the Gauntlet kits- Aeroclub or AZ, but I would think they would work as well.

So, absent a Matchbox Siskin prop or the funds to buy a Dora replacement, is a workable solution to graft the blades off a spare Gladiator 2-blade prop (there are 2 props in most Airfix boxings) onto the Bulldog hub?  There are only 2 blades to align after all.

Apparently not the top of the list as they keep doing new tools of other ancient Airfix things.

You could argue as one of many that are strong possibilities on the basis of popularity and clapped-outness or inaccuracy of original tooling, as decent commercial priorities.

In the orginal Series 1 and 2 line-up alone I'd argue the Lysander has to be seen alongside the Camel, Albatros V, Fokker Triplane, Yak-9, dh.88 Comet, Hawker Hart/Hind/Demon, Harvard, P-51B, F4U-1D , P-47D, Mirage III, Skyraider, Dauntless, Battle, Firefly, Meteor, Hellcat, Mig-21, IL-2, and Walrus, all presenting strong arguments as being the top 20 next new tools of smallish Airfix 1/72 oldies with a lot of sales potential

But I am sure it will bubble up at some point.

Strange list!

The trouble is that the competition has already 'stolen' the sales potential of: Yak-9, P-51B, MirageIII, and Mig-21.  Modellers will know who have won these particular kit of choice types and I expect someone at Hornby is aware of the gaps in the market.  A new Lysander fit the bill nicely.

1 hour ago, MigModeller said:

Strange list!

The trouble is that the competition has already 'stolen' the sales potential of: Yak-9, P-51B, MirageIII, and Mig-21.  Modellers will know who have won these particular kit of choice types and I expect someone at Hornby is aware of the gaps in the market.  A new Lysander fit the bill nicely.

The question is surely not what have other manufacturers done, otherwise Airfix would never have done their recent 1/48 P-51D or their third all-new Lancaster a few years ago. Also on that basis you would be taking account of this recent high quality 1/72 Lysander

The question is what are the big-league types that Airfix has done in the past and knows people buy, but need new tools because the old ones are damaged, worn out or unacceptably poor by modern standards.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I ask the Hive-mind @dogsbody, @72modeler & others a Bristol Bulldog question ? I am very unfamiliar with Pre-WW2 aircraft but expanding my knowledge and trying to build models. On the doped fabric and internal surface of the cockpit what color would/should it be ? Ive seen on some Vickers builds red doped fabric internally then painted externally ? Would it be similar for Bristol aircraft ? Im trying to get my 🦆🦆🦆🦆 in a row so i at least don't look silly ? The exterior colors will be Green over silver or all Green so would that show through at all ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Normal practice at the time was for fabric to be first red-doped - on the outside, but it bleeds through to make the fabric air-tight - and then aluminium doped for UV proofing (and in a lot of both inter-war and post-war types that was of course the final finish), with anything else like yellow for trainers, or camouflage, being applied over the top of the aluminium.  So where you are seeing the external fabric skin of the aeroplane from inside the aircraft it is reddish. The fabric was not actually painted on the inside face.  You can't see anything at all of the external colours from inside. The red dope is completely opaque.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

On the doped fabric and internal surface of the cockpit what color would/should it be ? Ive seen on some Vickers builds red doped fabric internally then painted externally ?

8 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Normal practice at the time was for fabric to be first red-doped - on the outside, but it bleeds through to make the fabric air-tight - and then aluminium dopde for UV proofing and in a lot of post-war types that was of course the final finish, with anything else like yellow for trainers, or camouflage, being applied over the top of the aluminium.  So where you are seeing the external fabric skin of the aeroplane from inside the aircraft it is reddish. The fabric was not actually painted on the inside face.  7ou can't see anything at allk of the external colours from inside. The red dope is completely opaque.

as seen here, inside the Hurricane preserved in Finland, just behind the cockpit, looking up

IMG_6631.JPG&key=2c651c057b89ba79d546e0d

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon,

Replacement bulldog propeller available now; https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/featured/freightdog-1-72-bristol-bulldog-corrected-propeller-for-airfix-vintage-classics-series.html 

Thanks, Colin

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3