Citroen fourgon beer van

Hewy

I've  got to be quick with this build  as its going to be a christmas gift for the brother in laws garden bar,

I was just going to build it all closed up paint it, decal it , and job done, but I've got carried away,

I should still make the christmas morning deadline if i don't  do too much more faffing about ,i started it monday after finally getting the decals for it from @mbdesignart at telford on sunday,(last sheet) I've had the kit for a while,actually since mark built his fourgon  van in the Guinness livery  a couple of years ago, and wanted one for myself, but just building it for someone else will do for now,

Alterations are going to be - a wood look floor scribed ,  open side seving hatch  cut out , side door converted from sliding to hinged and some shelving and interior bits and bobs, I'm going to build it from no particular version , just the parts that take my fancy,i started painting the interior before deciding to butcher the kit ,so some parts will need repainting

so far

The kit

BiKj2Ew.jpg

Decals

YzqxE0D.jpg

A bit of constuction ,and the floor and shelving  done, a tidy up when the glue has set, and smidgion of filler,

the floor before scribing the planks

yR9qtTF.jpg

MmA2Hxo.jpg

The other side cut out and a shelf for the paying customer

18GYa41.jpg

FKuftDq.jpg

Cheers

• Like 16

43 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

This kit is still on my wishlist so I'm very interested in your build, looks promising so far!

Thanks jeroen, hopfully i won't get distracted till its done, I've  made a silicone mold of the rubber tyres so i can cast them in resin,first impressions of de-molding  looks promising ,(if it goes ok the takom maz transporter  I'm  building  may well have its rubber tyres resin molded too) ,painting and weathering rubber tyres never turns out well, if it works and i get them to look half as good as yours in your  soviet truck  build thread I'll be most happy indeed.

I made the molding compartment from foam board, hot melt glued together, and placed some styrene in the bottom after to sit the rubber tyres on, i rubbed a little oil on the kit rubber  tyres and sat them on the styrene ,I'll  do the resin pour at the weekend.

Just before the silicone pour,good side up

YEEHmUI.jpg

A basic coat of black on the engine and running gear, no need to spend precious time here, nothing will be seen and the model will be mounted, so only basic work that will never see the light of day

i2oCqTu.jpg

After the scribed floor, i lightly drilled the ends to represent rustic nail holes ,then gave it a wash to see how it looked, basic but I'm  ok with it

VaetoQM.jpg

• Like 9

Waiting for the result.

Memories: 1980, driving on back roads south from Calais, saw one of those slightly off-road, with a big sign "Frites". Wife went to check it out as we were getting peckish and came straight back as the vendor had a huge great blood stained bandage round one hand! Rural France for you! BTW we went from Essex to the backlands of Cannes and back in my 1972 Avenger GT!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

We used to have a snackbar owner here who tested the temperature of the frying oil by spitting in it... 

Mmmn, were they very busy?

🤔 reminds me of a trip to malta with mrs hewy , we went on a round the islands cruise  , a full 8hrs , supposedly  fully catererd , there were three boats we got there a little late ,a bit too much to drink  the night before ,so we missed the really nice boat that was pictured on the advert , and the half decent 2nd one too  , we ended up on something similar to a harbour tug for 8 hrs sat on a wooden bench  , with no shade , mugins here in a vest and  32%, and when the food came out, the fella who bought it  was dripping sweat off his brow all over the tray of sandwiches, and then wiped his forehead with his hand and put his finger in mrs hewys bacardi and coke glass to serve us ,didn't go down well that, and we were only about 4hrs in ,very hungry we were when we disembarked 😀

58 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Waiting for the result.

Memories: 1980, driving on back roads south from Calais, saw one of those slightly off-road, with a big sign "Frites". Wife went to check it out as we were getting peckish and came straight back as the vendor had a huge great blood stained bandage round one hand! Rural France for you! BTW we went from Essex to the backlands of Cannes and back in my 1972 Avenger GT!!

Good lord!,   great car though, i had an avenger 1.6 and a sunbeam 1.6 ti,a lot of rear wheel drive fun, very easy to drift around damp corners..

Thanks fellas 

• Like 2

Great build so far Hewy, looks like you're throwing the kitchen sink at it😄 and your addition of the wooden decking is superb. I hope your tyre moulding proves successful, it will definitely make painting the white walls easier.I keep thinking about getting another kit as there are more drinks based schemes available/coming soon. Just other projects are taking up my build time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've  relented and given the engine a lick of paint,and installed it, I'll  give it a bit of a wash at the end

JPIvx0a.jpg

I've set the steering so the wheels are turned out,  i hope those tyres turn out now 🤞

Exhaust next

2 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

Great build so far Hewy

Thanks mark , the vw panel van would be a good recipient for those other drinks based decals, i may come unstuck when it comes to detailing the interior,home printed decals maybe the order of the day

XIqwLz5.jpg

And the emerald  green interior has been touched up, must have a go at scratch building a beer barrel and gas cylinder

y8eeLmR.jpg

• Like 10

Following this with great interest, as I don't think I've seen a build up of Heller's H Van, only the Ebbro one.  The Heller version looks much more appealing to me given the different age options & engine detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

The Heller version looks much more appealing to me given the different age options & engine detail.

It is a good kit paul,and it does ,i agree look a better than the ebbro kit,after  looking at the sprues on  the net ..you  do have to be aware of some fit issues though , mainly because you're  building essentially a styrene box ,but ,nothing standard modelling skills can over come  though, ( hopefully as I've deviated big time from the recommended building instructions)  paul  ,i won't be adhering to a standard year model I'm  afraid ,a mix of early and late in this build  I'm  afraid,  thanks for your  interest though its  most appreciated 

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

agree, it's looking very nice. Great paintwork.

Thanks pete, i am trying to be quick on this , so I'm  cutting some  corners  here and there, hopfully the finiished article will turn out ok on Christmas morning

Btw i do have plans for those sink marks on the rear panel,

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like your painting style Hewy - it gives model a very realistic look.

Planks on the floor are real masterpiece - scribing of wood texture and differene in shades.. excellent!

Engine is also 'alive' thanks to weathering.

Topic I will follow with pleasure...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit more  progress,admittedly not top  quality, but hopfully the overall effect  when done will do the trick,

The classy beige cab interior has took a battering, I've  had to remove the engine cover because it doesn't even nearly fit when the cab front went on , there's even a recess to glue it to on the cab floor which i did but the gap around the top where it connects to the dash was about 3mm ,ah well I'll  have to fit mats now to hide the gap when it get glued to the dash

Painted the seats up a nice and  used  complimentary shade of chocolate brown  ,  they say these colours were in vogue back in the day , just about ready for a coat of satin varnish 

ajNOKue.jpg

J95MYGu.jpg

As it stands currently, preliminary fit of the roof  is good ,hopefully theres not going to be any horrible fit issues,as for the inside detailing this is going to have to  be scratch built,  I've  had a look on the net, not found a lot but the bits i have found cost a lot for delivery , a beer barrel for instance comes in at around £10, the kit was only £20 , but i have around 5 or 6 weeks left so i won't panic yet

B52AXWt.jpg

Cheers for all the comments so far👍

• Like 9

Thanks fellas ,your too kind,   me rushing usually ends up in a disaster of sorts,

Not much done this evening , mainly test fitting and making sure its going to fit together after I've done the inside , I've  trimmed the sliding door and cut the top off it to create a stable  type door, and scratch built a gas cylinder for the beer barrel, (got to be honest it took me about 10 mins ,you'll  probably be able to tell too,  i haven't got round to the resin tyres today, hopfully tomorrow, thanks again

• Like 1

The beer barrel. If you want a pressurised keg then a bit of tube, a couple of circles of card and a ring around the top and bottom. 

If you are doing a Guinness keg then it needs an orange ring painted around the middle.

A cask is not pressurised and is an odd shape anyway. Probably best built from various sized circles of card. The identification ring can be various colours.

https://onlinecashandcarry.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/u/guinness_keg.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKusIBTiLCucK8sHq_eaITn_CVTpeoAeB3to98WQ1-JXIZvpeoAFuYRe5SKtAgohBOAY8Dt2dVNw&usqp=CAc

Pete. The Drayman. (I spend all day shifting these things).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Pete. The Drayman. (I spend all day shifting these things).

Having spent far to many a hour in public houses  ( my father in law ran one for about 18years) i never ventured into a cellar, so if I've  got two kegs in the back of the van could they both be operated by one gas cylinder?,

Thanks pete

• Like 1

Probably. That's 22 gallons between them to flush out. A spare cylinder might be an idea if you have room.

And each full keg weighs 63kg. You may need heavy duty suspension 😆

I did think of plastic polypin containers, which come in a cardboard box (easier to model) but I've not seen Guinness in them.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1