De Havilland DH-89A Rapide, scratch, 1/48

Dear members,

Like many other modellers, I admired John's Aero diarama of Stackton Aerodrome.

I thought this was a good opportunity to add an old model, when I just started to build in scratch.

I did some homework, because it is a long time ago I build this model. Of course in pre- internet days, we had only books and magazines.

From a Scale Models Magazine, October 1980 , I used the 3-view drawings as starting point,

further I used Profile Nr.144.

As times literally flies...😉

To revive the old times, here, I hope you like the photographs,

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 62
  • Thanks 4

Beautiful - Just like Silver Fox this is one of my favourite civil aircraft & a demanding subject for scratchbuilding; a twin-engined biplane with  a voluminous visible interior and complex faceted shapes making up the fuselage all coupled with an extremely technical colour-scheme.

Excellent!

Absolutely stunning.  I am in awe of your skills.  Always loved the Rapide since I saw one flying over in the early 60's.  I think that was probably the event that started my interest in aircraft.  Thanks for sharing.

Graeme

Great work! It looks so perfect, no even suggestion of any scratch work happend here...

So I see it is not only me, who has models made plus forty years ago ;)  

Cheers

J-W

Everyone,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments !

Yes I agree, this kind of planes are beautiful. Elas, a bit difficult to build. 

I recall getting the cockpit section of fuselage right, was tricky as Bandsaw Steve wrote in his comment. Also to make the engine / undercarriage fairings was a complicated affair. And two of them.

The designers at De Havillands made us modellers' life not easy ....😅

Anyhow, I am glad I have seen this beauty in real; in the sixties I lived near Rotterdam Airport, where the KLM used one for Photo work.   I still remember that beautiful sound, like sewing machines !

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa