4Aviation Japan tour, October 2019

Red Dot

hi all,

Here are some of my many images from the recent 4Aviation tour of Japanese fighter bases, during which we managed sunny days at every site along with lots of flying activity. Hope you like them

And yes, i know the first ones aren't fighters..................

Andy

AH-1-JGSDF-1.jpg

Airbus-A320-Jetstar-Airways-1.jpg

Airbus-A330-Hong-Kong-Airlines-1.jpg

Airbus-A340-State-of-Kuwait-6.jpg

Boeing-737-JAL-2.jpg

Boeing-737-JAL-3.jpg

C-2-JASDF-1.jpg

E-2-JASDF-3.jpg

EA-18-US-Navy-2.jpg

EC-145-Police-1.jpg

F-15-JASDF-13.jpg

F-15-JASDF-14.jpg

F-15-JASDF-15.jpg

F-15-JASDF-18.jpg

F-15-JASDF-19.jpg

F-15-JASDF-2.jpg

F-15-JASDF-20.jpg

F-15-JASDF-27.jpg

F-15-JASDF-37.jpg

F-15-JASDF-42.jpg

F-15-JASDF-45.jpg

F-15-JASDF-9-x2.jpg

F-16-USAF-13.jpg

F-2-JASDF-24.jpg

F-2-JASDF-27.jpg

F-2-JASDF-3.jpg

F-2-JASDF-8.jpg

F-35-JASDF-1.jpg

F-4-JASDF-22.jpg

F-4-JASDF-29.jpg

F-4-JASDF-33.jpg

F-4-JASDF-34.jpg

F-4-JASDF-8.jpg

FA-18-USMC-4.jpg

FA-18-USMC-9.jpg

Falcon-2000-JCG-1.jpg

KC-767-JASDF-1.jpg

KC-767-JASDF-4.jpg

MD-11-Western-Global-2.jpg

P-3-JMSDF-9.jpg

P-8-US-Navy-2.jpg

RF-4-JASDF-18.jpg

RF-4-JASDF-28.jpg

RF-4-JASDF-5.jpg

RF-4-JASDF-9.jpg

U-125-JASDF-5.jpg

YS-11-JASDF-1.jpg

YS-11-JASDF-3.jpg

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Absolutely superb set of shots and what a great trip! Thanks for posting. My favourites would be the Phantom 'burner shots, the Eagle sunset silhouette and the two F2s waiting while another lands. 

Good to meet you at Telford.

Cheers

Ian

Awesome stuff Andy. I think I should have come on your trip as you certainly plan and time them better than me. I've just spent three days at Hyakuri and seen I think 8 or 9 Phantoms fly, only one of which was an RF-4. Pretty quiet there this week for sure (didn't even open the RF hangar doors the first two days) and the worst three days of weather I've had in nearly three weeks in the country! At the very end though I did see the specially marked 301 take the cable in what appeared to be a demo of some sort. Still haven't bumped into any aggressors yet either. Maybe next time I'm over. Let me know the dates of your next trip!

Edited by Filler

Andy,

Thanks so much for preparing and sharing these outstanding photos with us. They are all excellent, but the Phantoms, especially the night take-offs in reheat made my day! Also love the RF-4EJ's in their two-color sea scheme- beautiful!

Mike

11 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Andy,

Thanks so much for preparing and sharing these outstanding photos with us. They are all excellent, but the Phantoms, especially the night take-offs in reheat made my day! Also love the RF-4EJ's in their two-color sea scheme- beautiful!

Mike

Thanks for all the comments. The blue and brown RF-4s are available in kits from Hasegawa, sadly only in 1/72. 

6 hours ago, Filler said:

Awesome stuff Andy. I think I should have come on your trip as you certainly plan and time them better than me. I've just spent three days at Hyakuri and seen I think 8 or 9 Phantoms fly, only one of which was an RF-4. Pretty quiet there this week for sure (didn't even open the RF hangar doors the first two days) and the worst three days of weather I've had in nearly three weeks in the country! At the very end though I did see the specially marked 301 take the cable in what appeared to be a demo of some sort. Still haven't bumped into any aggressors yet either. Maybe next time I'm over. Let me know the dates of your next trip!

You can't control the weather and you need luck with the flying! We spent three days at Hyakuri but two were rained off. However, the flying day was crazy 😁. At least you got the 301 hikotai special. It stayed in the hanger for us .

The same went for the other bases too, all of which were busy, but we missed the special F-2 at Tsuiki. Just another reason to go back!

No complaints though. It was business as normal for the tour and I guess, knowing where and when to go comes down to experience. I am lucky enough to have been about 10 times for planes, so it kind if comes as second nature now. I still don't get bored.

Take a look at the 4Aviation website. They are running a tour in May (last chance for the RF-4s) and will do some later in the year too. 

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy. And your photos really are top qulaity. I did have a reasonable day at Tsuiki with good weather (bloody hot in fact) although there was some serious construction work going on which meant trying to shoot between all the big Caterpillar machinery all over the show. Any idea what they’re doing there as I thought I heard the F-2s might be leaving for Hyakuri post Phantoms.

Nyutabaru was a good day too, busier there although a bit grey and no specials about there.

I think you’d have to be stark raving mad to spend a few grand on a trip half way around the world next May to see the RF-4s. Surely by then there must be more chance of scooping the lottery than seeing a Phantom fly!!?

They are resurfacing the smaller second runway at Tsuiki. I got some great digger shots too 🙂.

Actually, the Phantoms fly quite often. A couple of grand is okay if you get to see more of the country but it is too much just for Phantoms (unless you haven't seen them before 😀)

Andy

A superb set of images, my friend. 

I especially love the special-scheme F-16's and F-4's. It's good to see that the Japanese are prepared to put some bright paint on their machines (unlike the RAF... the 100th Anniversary schemes were an absolute joke). 

Thanks for sharing. 

Chris. 

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

They are resurfacing the smaller second runway at Tsuiki. I got some great digger shots too 🙂.

Actually, the Phantoms fly quite often. A couple of grand is okay if you get to see more of the country but it is too much just for Phantoms (unless you haven't seen them before 😀)

Andy

I see Andy. I guess I’m just feeling a bit sorry for myself right now as I really hoped that on my second attempt that I’d see plenty of Phantom action. Just bad luck for me.

As for me at least the Phantoms are history, my attention turns to trying to catch the elusive aggressors. Any hints on trying to end up in the same place as them? I understand Komatsu isn’t such a good bet.

I know what you mean about Phantoms!

The aggressors are based at Komatsu and it is a superb base for photography from the north end if they are landing there, so that is where to aim for. The south is also okay, but the shots are a bit boring.

However, they do deploy to other bases, so again it is pot luck i'm afraid. Unless you know someone in Japan with local knowledge, there is no way to tell where they will be, but they spend most of their time at the home base. I have been there and seen them on the ground, but only one flew. We were lucky this time with seven in the air. However, there is always lots of F-15 action, so you will get some great photos

Andy

On 11/14/2019 at 12:20 AM, Red Dot said:

F-15-JASDF-18.jpg

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! I've never seen this speed break on an F-15. I've only seen the ones with the smooth interior.

• Like 1

Over the last few years, the Japanese have modified a number of F-15s with this new strengthened air brake. If you are modelling one, check your references!

Andy

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 1:19 AM, Red Dot said:

The blue and brown RF-4s are available in kits from Hasegawa, sadly only in 1/72. 

Not so, RD!

I have a recently released Fujimi RF-4E with 501 Sq colors and markings which I got from Hobbylink Japan a few months ago. Kit number 722788, F2. I think this is a re-release with new decals, but the Fujimi kit is very, very nice, like their Spey Rhinos. They went fast, as I noticed shortly after I ordered mine, they are now  listed as being on backorder. $20 USD. 

Mike

https://www.super-hobby.fi/products/RF-4E-Phantom-501-SQ-901-Sea.html