Yet another returnee

Vox Repeater

It would appear that I am a familiar story - the 1970s me spent his pocket money on Airfix kits and his weekends and school holidays building them. Always finished them but never painted them. In the intervening time I have done a bit of railway modelling (railways being my life long and unwavering passion) but I find it frustrating - making it work and operate is hard. However what I have always enjoyed is building a good kit (and even the bad ones too) - buildings, vehicles, cranes etc etc. For some unknown reason a few months ago my Youtube algorithm decided it was going to start showing me videos of diorama building and I started thinking. And here I am now awaiting a delivery of stuff...

I know from my other interests how important a forum like this is to pick the brains of the collective knowledge and just to look at the pictures in awe and dream. So I look forward to the journey.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum. I to have the passion for model railroading. However, I'm very old school and not in to the digital realm that has taken over model railroading. It's is time consuming and room consuming so I've gone back to my other passion. Have build models most of my life and have been in a club or two. I find here it's just a post away from the information and inspiring critiques coming in.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

It is good to see another railway modeller on here! What do you model? 

I'm a more of a genre modeller than anything  - industrial railways. I have done stuff in OO, HO and O (1/76, 1/87 and 1/43 for the uninitiated!) and even a bit of Gn15 (which I think maybe 1/35). Of course I have already started musing on how to get railways into military modelling! 

Ahh cool. I do like indutrial stuff, plenty of scope for weathering and interesting buildings! 

I am more of a constant scale but million different themes which never get finished type of modeller. (hence coming back to plastic so I can actually finish a project).

Outside of railways what do you like making?

I know War Department Light Railways are pretty popular, but I always prefered the idea of a logistics depot like the one at Kineton.

No idea if anyone makes anything in 1/35 but they really should. 

5 hours ago, Vox Repeater said:

Of course I have already started musing on how to get railways into military modelling! 

If you want tips on trains in military modeling check out @bazer’s work. Warning though his stuff is mind-blowing here is an example of one of his pieces. 

Dennis

• Like 1