spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This model will be displayed permanently at the Hornby Hobbies Visitor Centre in Margate. If anybody is interested in seeing an Airfix kit of the QE Class aircraft carrier, let them know at [email protected]

Dave

Edited by davecov
Domain Change.
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Dave said:

As before with the QE, excellent work Dave. Let's hope something comes of Airfix canvassing interest for a kit.

Thank you.

It is a far better build this time round - there are a zillion pictures of both ships available on the Internet now that helped a great deal. When I made the QE they weren't available and I had only some slightly inaccurate drawings from the shipbuilders and a couple of pictures of it under construction.

Two months ago I had an accident and hit my head. It knocked some sense into me but I suffered concussion and double vision for five weeks which made modelling "interesting" to say the least. It delayed completion and I only finished it three days before Telford.

In the past Airfix said that they might consider a kit only after the ships were in service with aircraft onboard. Now they are serious about producing a kit but it depends on the demand from Joe Public. If anybody is interested in seeing an Airfix kit, let them know at [email protected]

Dave

• Like 4

Seen both ships been built at Rosyth,seen the model at Telford(superb), sent an email to Airfix, just need a model to join our Naval display that we had in the foyer at Telford.Got to be 1/700 for me,most of our ships are 1/700,just couldn't display,the amount of ships if they were 1/350.We can see how big 1/350 Airfix HMS Illustrious is compared to USS Midway 1/700 which will be closer to the size Queen Elizabeth, if it was 1/700.

4mJBLIr.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 3

All of your comments are much appreciated. It can be daunting showing a build off to the world especially at Telford but everybody who I met there in person or via the modelling forums have been very supportive. Thank you all. 😀

I am currently producing a summary of the build based on my thread on the ATF. Somehow I have to get it from nearly two hundred A4 pages, consisting of 70 posts and 440 images down to a more manageable size! Once that is done, I will put a copy on BM.

Dave

• Like 1

I'm afraid that I'm not that gifted! My brief said that I had to include as many Airfix parts as possible so the Merlin helicopters, Phalanx and 30mm guns came from Airfix HMS Illustrious and HMS Daring.

Chinooks, Apaches and F-35Bs are Shapeways and the Ospreys are from Trumpeter.

Dave

That's an outstanding scratchbuild Dave superb work all round, the only thing I would say is it wouldn't surprise me if a certain Chinese company

have  them  kitted within the next few months or so,that's not to say Airfix should't though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IanJohnB said:

Amazing! I am in awe of scratch builders. I don't know how you do it 

Being slightly bonkers helps - and a lifetime of doing jigsaws!

Dave

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great job Dave.  BULOLO has made me realise that I like scratchbuilding whole ships rather than just the superstructure and fittings but I'm not sure i'd have the nerve to scratch something this big.  You should be very proud of her.

Still can't help but think though that QE/POW are both ugly when compared to the beautiful lines of the traditional angled deck carriers.  Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks Chewbacca.

Six years ago I would never have scratch-built something so big and if I hadn't been asked to make a 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth for the real ship itself, I doubt if I would have ever done so. Now I have the bug and a 1/350 HMS Ark Royal IV is in the planning stage.

I did find them rather ugly when I first saw them but now I like them very much! Guess I have been brainwashed!

Dave