FAA colours in 1/72

Vinster

Hello, all I'm looking to get a Buccaneer soon and some other FAA aircraft soon after that. I was wondering does anyone know what paint I would require. I usually use Tamiya and me colour but I'm up for trying out some Hataka or vallejo model air if there is a set that contains all the colours I need and are there any tips on using these.

The Hataka laquer paint is just wonderful for airbrushing, and I think they have a complete set for FAA colours. Regarding Vallejo - I have tried it and I hate it ..... Others may have different experiences though.

Nils

• Thanks 1

Not a Model Air, but I've used Vallejo's Model Color 867 Dark Bluegrey for Extra Dark Sea Grey and IMHO it's a good match.

Being from the Model Color range, this requires thinning to be used in an airbrush. Easier way is to use Vallejo's own airbrush thinner

• Thanks 1

On 15/11/2019 at 07:55, Vingtor said:

The Hataka laquer paint is just wonderful for airbrushing, and I think they have a complete set for FAA colours. Regarding Vallejo - I have tried it and I hate it ..... Others may have different experiences though.

Nils

Thank you, this is great news I really was hoping Hataka had the FAA colours as I would love to try their lacquers. Thank you, I'll have a little look for them.

On 15/11/2019 at 14:52, Giorgio N said:

Not a Model Air, but I've used Vallejo's Model Color 867 Dark Bluegrey for Extra Dark Sea Grey and IMHO it's a good match.

Being from the Model Color range, this requires thinning to be used in an airbrush. Easier way is to use Vallejo's own airbrush thinner

I initially tried using model colour and never got anywhere no matter how I thinned it or used flow improved what psi should I try

Generally I thin the Vallejo Model Color paints with their own thinner and then spray at around 15-17, maximum 20. The pressure depends mainly on how much I thinned them.

In the past I also used water with a drop of flow improver. I've heard that some use Vallejo's own airbrush cleaner as thinner for airbrush, not tried yet but I want to do it soon

1. IMHO, every Extra Dark Sea Grey I have tried in 60 years of modelling needs blue added to look right. The sea greys were blue greys and the blue effect seems stronger as the shade darkens. Started a thread a couple of years ago, Is EDSG a blue or a grey? Consensus was on blue, which made me feel better.