1/48 Trumpeter (no kidding) Mig 3. Black Nose

Hi there,

This is my Trumpeter 1/48 Mig 3, apparently an early version. I say that because I had no real knowledge of it until I built it.

What can I say, this is my first Trumpeter kit and frankly I was impressed. Straightforward build other than a slightly complex nose to handle the side air intakes. I drilled out the various nose scoops and replaced the guns and pitot with hollow tube. Tyres were flatted and then  Tamiya and Mr Hobby pointed in its general direction.

There is some shading going on and a bit of chipping where appropriate.

I know Trumpeter kits get a bad press but I really enjoyed building this and she was a fun painting exercise.

Comments welcome, it's how we improve.

Rick

p?i=44f65236d6b484dadc941cd91a831ddf

p?i=09eff44ca449026a7e7914511690cd77

p?i=678412bae34215c79efb7c2bce0f5fea

p?i=7278b56fab53f61b30c0e3ad029a0749

p?i=fabb08b2a6abdab19e2cf0201e14b4fd

p?i=117b8ed2d92d42ad4ee551451bfa118d

p?i=c969ea47972036d71e614a661e12c370

p?i=cfd1c5278d093221a94fc4262c193e39

p?i=027c971d9523b2f1085837e4de2a9236

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Sadly my knowledge of Soviet types like this one is nil but I do know a nicely done model when i see one.  Well done.

From what i have read Trumpeter dont get panned for their fit as they seem to make pretty well fitting kits.  Its the shape issues and then it seems to matter which designer gets the job.  Some of their kits are excellent while others are very iffy.  No reason for why one model comes out like a cartoon of the real thing and the next is pretty much spot on.  

I read somewhere that this kit is one of their best 1/48 catalogue offer. I don’t have the kit and obviously am no expert to dispute this claim, but what I can say is that your model is one of the best MiG-3 I’ve seen lately, wonderful paint work and the faring is spot on!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gryphon28 said:

Comments welcome, it's how we improve

I'd like to improve in that direction, great job!

If it's not too difficult to briefly describe, how do you do the chipping?

Thanks,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I'd like to improve in that direction, great job!

If it's not too difficult to briefly describe, how do you do the chipping?

Thanks,

Hey Johnson,

Thanks. The chipping is just a Prismacolor silver Pencil I bought a few years ago. You need a slightly Matt surface to grab the silver colour. I like to concentrate on edges and rivets.  its very easy to do though time consuming, however does give the model a bit more POP!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Richard Kiss said:

Amazing MiG, congratulation!

Here is a contructive comment: would be nice to taper the edge of air intakes just to enhance the realistic looking.

Fair comment Richard. Something for the next one 👍🏻

• Like 1

Very fine looking aircraft. I built mine as a German kite and know what you mean about "Early". Apparently mine is "late Early" and I had to change the profile of the area in front of the exhausts. Agree about the fit of the scoops around the wing roots; they fit perfectly to the wing or the fuselage but not both. I still have the "Late" version in the stash.

George

• Like 1

Not the most elaborate camo, but very nice executed.... love every bit of it... 

for the smoke behind the exhausts, mayby some pale grey at the outer parts and a bit on the 2nd and 3rd exhaust stack... Lead was a very common additive in those days... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fubar57 said:

Very fine looking aircraft. I built mine as a German kite and know what you mean about "Early". Apparently mine is "late Early" and I had to change the profile of the area in front of the exhausts. Agree about the fit of the scoops around the wing roots; they fit perfectly to the wing or the fuselage but not both. I still have the "Late" version in the stash.

George

Thanks George, I intend to get another, probably a late. 👍🏻

Top marks on this - really like it.  Great job on the paintwork and weathering especially, as well as very crisp paintwork on the canopy. All comes together to make a very realistic model. I'll be experimenting with silver pencils today because of this build - very keen to try that effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, propforward said:

Top marks on this - really like it.  Great job on the paintwork and weathering especially, as well as very crisp paintwork on the canopy. All comes together to make a very realistic model. I'll be experimenting with silver pencils today because of this build - very keen to try that effect.

Thanks buddy. Don’t forget it’s much easier to do with a flat finish so that the paint picks up the colour. I prefer Gunze to Tamiya but tend to use Tamiya where I know I will be chipping as the slightly coarser grain of the XF range is better for this than the semi gloss Gunze colours. If the surface is too smooth, hit it with some flat varnish before you start. You can always seal the finish with semi gloss to restore the sheen after chipping. 

• Thanks 1