Hawker Siddeley Kestrel FGA.1

Hawker Siddeley Kestrel FGA.1

Tripartite Evaluation Squadron, West Raynham, 1964

This is another one that was finished many years ago but has recently seen the light of day again. It was based on the original Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.1 kit with parts from a Heritage Resin conversion. I didn’t actually use any resin but the white metal nozzles were needed. The Tripartite decals were also from this source. Canopy and cockpit interior were from scratch – I think the seat was a spare from the Skybirds 86 Scimitar kit given to me by Mike Eacock many years ago. Nowadays I don’t think I would have been quite so out there with the metal finish, but anyway here it is:

IMG_3175

IMG_3174

IMG_3173

IMG_3172

IMG_3171

IMG_3169

IMG_3168

IMG_3167

IMG_3176

• Like 62

Very nice build, fancied doing one myself as I have the Vingtor decal sheet and the Aardvark resin kit as a donor for a new Airfix kit. Lovely finish as well

That’s a cracker! I’ve often thought about doing such a conversation, however finding decals and getting all the various differences correct has eluded me. You’ve done a marvellous job here, very well modelled. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It made me wonder, what if Germany had bought or built the Kestrel/Harrier in quantity. 

Used as anti tank aircraft instead of the helicopters they later adapted for the task.

Operating costs would surely not have been that different.

I think it would make a good Whiff build.