1/32 F-104G Starfighter - Italeri - Aeronautica Militare

Baldy

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Malcolm

Lifecolor's can really only be mixed with paints of similar nature, for example Vallejo. Mixing with Tamiya's will not work... so I'd say you did the right thing in goig with paints you know and can trust. Personally I've developed my way of dealing with Lifecolors but I can remember the frustration I sufffered during my early attempts...

28 in theory means the 28th position in the Italian Air Force table of colours, and Verde Scuro 28 is in theory the colour used on the F-104 and other camouflaged aircraft starting in the '70s. I've not seen this lifecolor paint in person yet though, so I can't comment on the accuracy or lack of of this paint

Giorgio - I bought Lifecolour UA531 - Italian Air Force Dark Green 28 and UA532 - Italian Air Force Dark Sea Grey 27. The grey looks Ok but the green I am not sure of at all. If and when you get hold of these I would welcome your thoughts. Would also welcome an insight into your methods for spraying Lifecolour paints.

Cheers

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...

First of all thank you for using one of my products......😍, the model came out very well, the green leaves me some doubts but I think it's the photo, here in Italy the 104 is a religion, I've lived there together since the 80s (in Cameri 53° Stormo) and for a period I worked closely together (the last year at Cervia, 5° Stormo 2003), for the Italeri decals you're right, I threw them in the bin when I made one of these, the white numbers (numeroni bianchi) and the roundels are painted with masks made by me: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2363

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, onosendai said:

First of all thank you for using one of my products......😍, the model came out very well, the green leaves me some doubts but I think it's the photo, here in Italy the 104 is a religion, I've lived there together since the 80s (in Cameri 53° Stormo) and for a period I worked closely together (the last year at Cervia, 5° Stormo 2003), for the Italeri decals you're right, I threw them in the bin when I made one of these, the white numbers (numeroni bianchi) and the roundels are painted with masks made by me: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2363

Thank you Maurizio. I really liked the Orpheus pod and may look to build a F-104S in the future, maybe with one of your SUU-21 dispensers. I did forget to mention that my numeroni bianchi were actually from Tauro - I am not yet up to using masks for my markings. I like your 5° Stormo machine - as a matter of interest, what paints did you use for this? The green for Italian aircraft always seems to be a problem to me.

Cheers

Malcolm

18 hours ago, Baldy said:

as a matter of interest, what paints did you use for this? The green for Italian aircraft always seems to be a problem to me.

I'm sorry Malcom but i just don't remember, i'm sure i'm in gunze, i don't use scientific methods in coloring, i'm from my memory since i saw a lot of live military aircraft during my work here in Italy and in the world. In any case, green can vary a lot, tonality is a personal matter imho.

• Like 1