Northampton Aero Club C.1929

TEXANTOMCAT

Seeing John's lovely aerodrome at Telford has prompted me to be brave enough to post this!

Trio of DH.60s- Cirrus Moth G-EBSA (Jack & Geoffrey Linnell) Cirrus Moth G-EBRX (Northants Aero Club) and Gipsy Moth G-AAGS (Perry Tyzack) to 1/72. Amodel kits modified with Oxford vehicles, modified Metcalfe Pavillion. Oils, enamels, pigments and a bit of scratch building. Taken about 4 months.. not 100% accurate more a homage really as had to fit in the case and give an impression of what it was like

49059525823_1d7ccec26f_k.jpg25734293_10155119858795976_8170630381812573292_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

ATB

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 21

Great to see. I presume the Moths are AZ. Where did the Motorcycle combo come from? I want one and the bicycle too.

There is a massive scope in small civil aircraft. I'm now going to try and find time to finish my 1/48th BA Swallows, Comper Swifts, Avro Avian s and Puss moths, not to mention all the Percivals and Miles types and a hundred other eclectic types.

John

• Like 4

Thanks John - yes all AZ, but 1/72 not 1/48  -we dont have the room for the bigger scale. If in 1/48 I'd have rigged them, in 72 I just think it looks out of scale (personal opinion and laziness!)  folding the wings on EBSA was an absolute sod but I added the removable wing brace like the full size and it definitely helped! 

49060461897_5898bf9a6a_k.jpg25188770_10155087340625976_7002082074863946876_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

Unfortunately then the bike and sidecar are from Oxford as is the motorcar - https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=SIDECAR

The bicycle from an old railway set, I think its vinyl but it does the trick.

ATB

TT - (P.S. put the Hart and Hind dio in the Diorama's Ready for Inspection section!) 

• Like 2

I hope you don't mind me adding these...

368250683.jpg
368250692.jpg
368250691.jpg
368250689.jpg
K4459 of RAF Volunteer Reserve, Sywell, 18 June 1938 to 17 October 1938.

I know Sywell didn't have hard standings, my base was made for Chelveston.

• Like 4

Love it! Excellent diorama and something a bit different from the golden era. The pavilion reminds me of the flying club from the Battle of Britain movie, so you could always park Squadron Leader Canfield's Spit IX in front if you ever fancy a change.

Steve

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Love it! Excellent diorama and something a bit different from the golden era. The pavilion reminds me of the flying club from the Battle of Britain movie, so you could always park Squadron Leader Canfield's Spit IX in front if you ever fancy a change.

Steve

Speaking of the flying club in the BoB movie - I hope you don't mind if I jump on board and add my first ever build from 4 years ago...

IMG-1511.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Excellent stuff - I was going for the 'nasty old shack full of dead flies' look for mine! :)

mine was pre-war :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Speaking of the flying club in the BoB movie - I hope you don't mind if I jump on board and add my first ever build from 4 years ago...

IMG-1511.jpg

Steve

Big X: Yes! I remember your Battle of Britain movie inspired build well.  I can almost hear Michael Caine/Canfield now...."Don't you throw those bloody Messerschmitts at me"....or was it "You were only supposed to blow the bloody wings off".  I can't quite remember. I get terribly confused sometimes. 🙂

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Excellent stuff - I was going for the 'nasty old shack full of dead flies' look for mine! :)

...Well "At least you won't have the Jerries visiting you" 🤣

This could go on a bit couldn't it?

Steve

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Superb! Would this be Sywell Aerodrome? I took my first flight in a Tiger Moth from there, It was built in 1948 the same year as I appeared on the planet!