Derby Airways - Now Boarding! Sywell 1950s

TEXANTOMCAT

Hi all, 

This is the first time I've ever shared any of my dio's outside Facebook but I thought I'd chuck one up- be gentle! 

I dont know whether to post several pics of the same dio or multiple of several on the same thread...!

Anyway, I build mainly for our Museum at Sywell so they are normally related to our airfield. - I finished this the other year. Airfix C-47 with S&M decals IIRC.

49059525653_696bf8ad1a_k.jpg12006557_10153045182290976_1729944269997067717_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

ATB

TT

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Lovely little period diorama. I wasn't even aware of Derby Airways until I saw this (I don't do many civils - that's my only excuse 🙂 ), but as I now live in Derby you have just piqued an interest. A quick google reveals that they became British Midlands International (bmi) and that, as Derby Airways, they flew not only the C-47 but also the Canadair C-4 Argonaut, the HP Marathon and even a DH Dragon Rapide. I feel a future civil project coming on.

Thanks for sharing that one with us, you've just given me some more inspiration.

Kev

• Like 2

Thanks Kev - the only problem was finding civvy vehicles for it - fortunately the good folk at Oxford do a wide range (albeit in 1/76 which was close enough for me) they vary in quality but are beautifully done. A black wash on the silver bits and a bit of weathering works wonders and makes them less toy like.

This was the new tool Airfix Dak - very nice too, bit of an odd construction method as the wing fillets are separate but it all went together in the end. Also no pax seats if that troubles you (it didnt me!) rattle can Humbrol 11 and Halfords applicance white and bosh!

For decals you're spoilt for choice - AIM do them for the C-47 - though I'm pretty sure the set I used were from S&M Models which dont appear to list them any longer. They were very good indeed.. AIM also do some pax steps - they used to do DA decals to go alongside them too.

If you're really brave AIM do an Argonaut conversion and later DA decals - 

For a Marathon there's only one game in town and that's the Magna kit which looks pretty crude and beyond my skill set - for the Rapide of course the old Heller/Airfix one is the only one I think - (not sure about decals for that)

Thanks for your kind comments

ATB

TT

TWL72017-GA.jpg

TWL72003-GA.jpg

Brings back memories of Hucknall Air shows as I've flown in both a Derby Airways Dakota G- ANTD (Dovedale) and a Marathon (Millersdale I think). The Civil thread gets so little use until some interesting pieces like this come along. There was a Contrail Marathon kit. and a horrid 144 vac from a company in Lancashire IIRC.

John

• Like 2

Thank you - I thought I'd just test the water - I dont want to annoy anyone by putting too many pics up!

After building things in camo for so many years I find nowadays I drift back to civvy 30s stuff  - which usually means wrestling with short run stuff so my results arent great!

ATB

TT

Oh goody - more pics! The more I see, the more I like it!

I've found a Canadair C-4 Argonaut (Welsh Models do a resin kit in 144th) so I may just take the plunge with that (if it's actually available in the Derby Airways livery - awaiting a reply from Welsh Models). Also found a small selection of 144th vehicles on Shapeways (pricey, but may be well worth the trouble).

Cheers TT

Kev

• Thanks 1

Lovely!

That brings back memories of watching the Daks and, occasionally, Argonauts flying into Derby airfield (Burnaston) a long time ago.

I’ve got an Airfix C-47 and the AIM decals in the stash - I really must get it built.

Thank you,

Richard

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps I’m glad I had the courage to put some of me dios up now! Good luck with your builds and look forward to seeing the photos!

I saw that WM we’re doing an Argonaut and pinged em about doing Derby Airways decals too so fingers crossed! 🙂

ATB 

TT

Kev @modelman182, as you appear to be new to the area, the old airfield is underneath the Toyota factory.

Been told the old cricket pavillion was taken down and shipped to Japan before the ground works got started.

Run South to the Willington exit on the A38 turn right at the T junction and head for Eggington, that's where the flying club is now based.

Ohh, and it's also where the rebuild of the D.H.88 'Black Magic' is / was? taking place.

@TEXANTOMCAT, absolutly cracking build, MORE please!

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful, evocative diorama but I really think you should ask the mods to move the thread to Ready for Inspection. Most people who read the civil forums are, by definition, already civil modellers but RFI is seen by everyone and, as @noelh says, your excellent modelling deserves a wider audience. Civil models in RFI often attract posts along the lines of "I'm not into civil aircraft but I like your model ..." and anything which helps spread the gospel of airliner modelling is to be encouraged!

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Dave G

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Kev @modelman182, as you appear to be new to the area, the old airfield is underneath the Toyota factory.

Been told the old cricket pavillion was taken down and shipped to Japan before the ground works got started.

Run South to the Willington exit on the A38 turn right at the T junction and head for Eggington, that's where the flying club is now based.

Ohh, and it's also where the rebuild of the D.H.88 'Black Magic' is / was? taking place.

To my shame, I must admit that I've lived in Derby for over three years and worked there for more than four years! I have even visited the Burnaston Toyota plant on several occasions and hadn't made the connection. I also know Eggington and will have to take a jaunt down there, just to see if there's any sign of Black Magic (as I have the Aerotech 1/32 kit to build at some unspecified time in the future). 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Kev

• Like 2

Clearing my workshop the other day I came across a "Keep Flying at Burnaston" sticker.

I think that W.H.Harrison (the Aviation author) and I must have made the last (unofficial) landing at Burnaston in a Rheims 150 Aerobat,  just before the bulldozers moved in. The place was deserted and someone had started to rip up the parquet floors in the old terminal building. Very sad.  We had flown out of Rolls Royce Hucknall, which it's self is now a housing estate.

John

• Like 2

Lovely!...and a superb finish on the Dak, especially out of a rattle can. I only tried rattle cans once when I was about 15 and I made a right mess. Haven't tried since, but seeing your results has given me the urge to try again.

I like the little parcel trolleys. I seem to remember having the same ones on my Hornby station when I was a nipper. Again, a great diorama. I had something similar planned for my Ruskin Air Services Dak when I finally get around to building it.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve- I’m afraid I don’t airbrush so it’s paint brush and rattle can for me. Good old Halfords appliance white over Humbrol 11 rattle can. Then a brush painted coat of Klear to finish. I’m really no expert on such things though! 🙂

about the only good thing about doing 1/72 civvy stuff is you can get away with railway figures and stuff👍

TT

Thanks Steve- I’m afraid I don’t airbrush so it’s paint brush and rattle can for me. Good old Halfords appliance white over Humbrol 11 rattle can. Then a brush painted coat of Klear to finish. I’m really no expert on such things though! 🙂

about the only good thing about doing 1/72 civvy stuff is you can get away with railway figures and stuff👍

TT

ps I’ve put the other dioramas in the RFI diorama section 🙂

On 11/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, John Aero said:

Brings back memories of Hucknall Air shows as I've flown in both a Derby Airways Dakota G- ANTD (Dovedale) and a Marathon (Millersdale I think). The Civil thread gets so little use until some interesting pieces like this come along. There was a Contrail Marathon kit. and a horrid 144 vac from a company in Lancashire IIRC.

John

I remember the Hucknall Air Displays from my childhood, the last one I went to to was in 1973 when home from uni, weather was not good, but the Blue Angels were there with their F4Js. The Contrail Marathon is not one of their finest and looks a bit odd around the tailplane. The Magna Marathon is a bit challenging, but by no means impossible. 

• Like 1