'Spirit of Kent' Spitfire

twp1

A few years back my Dad had a flight experience to fly alongside a Spitfire at Duxford. The aircraft he flew alongside was Spitfire HF Mk.lXe TA805 'Spirit of Kent'.  During the briefing I had the opportunity to take a load of up close pictures of the aircraft with the intention of building him a kit of it as a gift. 

I ended up using the Revell 1:48 Spitfire lXc/XVl (4554) kit.  This was in the days before I realised that Eduards kits were far superior and included PE but it's a decent enough kit.  The only changes I had to make were to swop the gun covers around to convert the kit to an e wing. 

I purchased aftermarket sets of stencils, codes, letters and rounds to give me the correct scheme and brought decal paper to make my own 'Spitit of Kent' decals and squadron badge carried under the canopy.  The thing I couldn't get right was the legend in white lettering so the only thing that isn't as accurate as it could be is these are black. 

Once completed, it was given to him in a presentation box.

The kit was brush painted and finished in a gloss varnish spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Very cool!

A nice gesture to present this as a gift - hope they were rightly chuffed!

I only recently learned (about 10 years ago) that it is a crowbar stored in the cockpit door.

Before then I just assumed it to be a cross-brace to strengthen the door!

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1