X99 (or B 36 in civvy clothes)

Spookytooth

Blimey this would take some room up . Pan-Am ordered more than ten of the Convair Model 37 as it was in civvy street but the heavy fuel and oil consumption amongst other things  made it a no go . Pan-Am issued a set of 12 postcards for a "coming soon " kind of thing showing artist's impressions of the interior and exterior shots . I have scans of those . Those cost a bomb to buy as they're rare as Hen's Teeth ,something like £50 a piece and there's 12 of them  ! The USAF made use of the XC99 in the 50s .

• Like 1

After it was retired, it was turned over to a chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and sat outside Kelly Air Force Base at San Antonio, Texas, for years. When I was a college student in Austin, Texas, in the late 1960s, I visited the airplane and was allowed to climb around inside it. It has since been reclaimed by the National Museum of the USAF and was dissasembled and moved to Dayton, Ohio. An assessment determined that restoration was beyond the resources of the Museum for the foreseeable future. It has since been moved to long-term storage at Davis-Monthan AFB in Arizona.

By the way, the correct designation is XC-99.

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What a machine that would have been to see!
Deep, deep in the darkest corners of the loft is an old part completed B-36 kit i got from a neighbor who just lost interest in completing.... but this would be too daunting of a project for me (think you'd need to scratch-build the whole fuselage!, and i can barely get round to finishing an OTB single engined ww2 plane at the moment!)

but doesn't it look amazing in flight!
spacer.png

40 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Blimey this would take some room up . Pan-Am ordered more than ten of the Convair Model 37 as it was in civvy street but the heavy fuel and oil consumption amongst other things  made it a no go . Pan-Am issued a set of 12 postcards for a "coming soon " kind of thing showing artist's impressions of the interior and exterior shots . I have scans of those . Those cost a bomb to buy as they're rare as Hen's Teeth ,something like £50 a piece and there's 12 of them  ! The USAF made use of the XC99 in the 50s .

- would it be something like this? a couple of examples, but the interior looks.....spacious..... to say the least!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Kushan_Farsight
Added interior Shots
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No ,these are great though . where did you get these from ? The postcards are in colour and artist's impressions . Mentions an order for 15 . Thanks .

She was quite an airplane, and provided faithful service for many years before being retired due to fatigue issues. Sadly, I watched her deteriorate over the years at Kelly AB and later sitting off-base and being vandalized and suffering under the hot Texas sun until the museum that had gotten title to her went belly-up and the AFM reclaimed her. While sitting outside, with the engines removed and the upper fuselage behind the cockpit being open to the elements, a lot more corrosion ensued. Doubtful that either the AFM, NASM, or Pima Museum will ever have the funds to do a proper restoration. The father of one of the the teachers on my former staff was the flight engineer on the XC-99, and when he passed away she brought me all of the photos, journals, clippings, and other memorabilia he had collected, and I convinced her to donate them to the AFM, which she did...kinda wished now in hindsight that I had accepted them, since they are most likely not going to restore her- at least not as a complete airframe. I remember when I was in kindergarten and 1st grade at Lackland AB, she used to rattle everything in our quarters when she would go in and out of Kelly...aluminum overcast was a description she deserved. See the links below for more about her. The sound on the video is pretty ratty, so turn it down or off.

Mike

https://www.airplanesofthepast.com/convair-xc99.htm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNOTO0KsKc

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

Reminds me of another, similar size, cargo aircraft--the Lockheed R6V Constitution.  I remember seeing one of the two built sitting looking decrepit at Opa Locka Airport (KOPF) in Miami, Florida in the mid-1970's.  Apparently only two were ever built, planned to be used by Pan Am and the U.S. Navy.  It would make an interesting kit.

Here's a link with photos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_R6V_Constitution

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wasn't this cut up recently?

It was cut into manageable sections for the move to Dayton. There was no way it could have been moved in one piece or even as separate fuselage and wing.

17 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

What a machine that would have been to see!
Deep, deep in the darkest corners of the loft is an old part completed B-36 kit i got from a neighbor who just lost interest in completing.... but this would be too daunting of a project for me (think you'd need to scratch-build the whole fuselage!, and i can barely get round to finishing an OTB single engined ww2 plane at the moment!)

but doesn't it look amazing in flight!
spacer.png

- would it be something like this? a couple of examples, but the interior looks.....spacious..... to say the least!

I do believe that there was a vac conversion by Gene Hooker in the USA for the B-36 kit to make the XC-99. When I returned to modelling in the 1980s I started buying copies of FSM and I recall the adverts (amongst what seemed at the time like amazing exotica from this side of the Atlantic) for this. If I remember correctly Gene included a wooden 3 foot ruler within the kits as a wing spar! 

SD

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

It looks like a good project for @Moa - we need to get him off those little planes!

Hum, pity it never never actually flew as a civil plane, just did cargo while still in the military.

Just too much effort and time for a "what if".

And I wouldn't consider the HP42, Blackburn Kangaroo, Staaken E4/20, and HP O/700 little planes, Sir!

Big is in the eyes of the beholder

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if Hooker did one.  He did do a 1/72 C-133 that uses a yardstick for a spar, it's in the attic.  Execuform did a conversion for the XC-99 which uses a Monogram B-36 for the wing and detail.  When I recover from building the Monogram kit done a few years ago I may tackle it.  Who knows!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the vac form Mike Herrill kit, not built of course. I somehow got four B-36 kits, three built but two left dismantalable, one not touched. Have to make up cabinets first. Already made my bench to accomodate the size of them. Have to learn some carpentry, contractors aren't helpful when they don't come around.

• Like 2

How does one build one without the conversion set?

Looking at pictures it seems to have flat sides s I'm thinking that cutting the kit and adding flat plastic card between the halves would be a starting point. It need added length in front and behind the wings. reshaping the nose and a rather heavy rebuild of the tail and that would be it basically?

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:02 AM, Space Ranger said:

It was cut into manageable sections for the move to Dayton. There was no way it could have been moved in one piece or even as separate fuselage and wing.

As i understand it was disassembled for restoration. After the move to Wright Patterson in Dayton OH then was moved in 2012 to the current location of the boneyard at Davis Monthan near Tucson AZ

On 12/25/2019 at 6:26 AM, Cheshiretaurus said:

As i understand it was disassembled for restoration. After the move to Wright Patterson in Dayton OH then was moved in 2012 to the current location of the boneyard at Davis Monthan near Tucson AZ

It is highly doubtful it will ever be restored.  It was disassembled years ago for the move from Texas to Wright-Patterson AFB, where it sat (in pieces) outside on the ramp in front of the annex hangars, exposed to the weather.  I walked among her bones and photographed here there through the good graces of a friend who has since retired from his job at the NMUSAF.  After its decades of exposure to the weather in Texas, all of the magnesium portions of the airframe (which is a large percentage of the structure) has turned into dust and would need to be fabricated from scratch in order to restore her even in a cosmetic way.  Her remains were moved to AMARG at Davis Monthan AFB some years ago, where they are today (a friend photographed them there in 2017 during a personal tour he managed to arrange).  Basically at this point it's a big pile of parts, most of which aren't readily identifiable.  A very sad loss, but the cost to restore her would be GIGANTIC, and I don't think anyone has any real interest in doing so.

Edited by NorthBayKid
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 6:21 AM, Orso said:

How does one build one without the conversion set?

Looking at pictures it seems to have flat sides s I'm thinking that cutting the kit and adding flat plastic card between the halves would be a starting point. It need added length in front and behind the wings. reshaping the nose and a rather heavy rebuild of the tail and that would be it basically?

Finding good or making drawings in scale then making it from soft wood(not balsa)might be the easiest. That's how the vac form was made. Woods easy to play with and you can leave it wood as you build it since vac forming such a big piece isn't easy unless you cut it up, then your filling seams everywhere. I know I need to play more with wood.