BOAC Boeing 747-436 in 1/144

22 hours ago, gazza l said:

Stunning work. Those AA windows are something else.

gazza l 

Thank you, they really do bring it to life. It’s such a simple thing but it works so well.

Alistair

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Beautiful build and finish Alistair,for me the best scheme these aircraft wore.

Thank you, it definitely compliments the scheme very well. 

20 hours ago, woody37 said:

You've certainly done it justice, stunning :)

Thank you very much 😀.

Alistair

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, Turbofan said:

John, how about converting the Zvezda 747-8 to a -400? It's not really that difficult, I know your skills are up to the task!

Cheers,

Ian

cheers for the flattery Ian -  I have a 1/200 Hasegawa 747 on the shelf of assembly which was headed for a set of chatham BA decals - I need to get that done first, then the AA -400 in BOAC blues before I start cutting up Zvezda and Revell kits - but I will give it a go. I picked up a cheap Zvezda 74-8 at the Nationals for £10 with that idea very much in mind.

Hi Alistair

I've already complimented you on this superb build and choice of livery. You asked for comments or tips and there are few I can offer other than the recommendation that if you build this kit again, that you might want to pack out the cheeks of the aircraft around the first class windows and 1st entry door on both P & S sides of the plane. I built the same kit twice this year : a Qantas Wanula Dreaming variant without filling the cheeks and filling the panels lines, and more recently a BA version but with the fuselage panel lines filled and the cheeks corrected.

I've found these photos that I took after I had improved the cheeks which otherwise have a sunken in look to them

DSCF8667

DSCF8666

Hope this helps

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2019 at 17:26, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Alistair

I've already complimented you on this superb build and choice of livery. You asked for comments or tips and there are few I can offer other than the recommendation that if you build this kit again, that you might want to pack out the cheeks of the aircraft around the first class windows and 1st entry door on both P & S sides of the plane. I built the same kit twice this year : a Qantas Wanula Dreaming variant without filling the cheeks and filling the panels lines, and more recently a BA version but with the fuselage panel lines filled and the cheeks corrected.

I've found these photos that I took after I had improved the cheeks which otherwise have a sunken in look to them

DSCF8667

DSCF8666

Hope this helps

John

That is an excellent piece of advice, and great work John. I loved your BA 744 on the approach... the extended flaps and slats look impressive and really being her to life. I will definitely take this tip onboard if I make another 747 in the future.

Regards,

Alistair

On 22/11/2019 at 15:43, FortyEighter said:

Another fantastic model Alistair - thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thank you Mike 😃.

Alistair

On 26/11/2019 at 18:20, Matcham11 said:

Lovely build! And great little collection there!

Robin

Thank you Robin, I’d love to add a 787 or 773 but they are sold out with Ray at 26Decals. I have the BA A380 to build. 

Alistair

23 hours ago, Timski1 said:

Really need to get a 747 on the go, this scheme sold it for me, seriously lovely build. 

Do it, it’s such a lovely aircraft and will be sorely missed when she leaves our skies for good... thank you very much 😃.

Alistair

On 27/11/2019 at 22:34, stringbag said:

That looks a real winner in BOAC colours Alistair.  Don't know how I missed this one.

All the best.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, it really suits this scheme and I’m glad it’s one they opted to go for... 

Regards,

Alistair

On 28/11/2019 at 17:26, Viking said:

That is just one of the best schemes the 747 ever wore, great to see it posted here.

Cheers

John

I agree with there John, it really compliments the 747 very well. I like the BOAC scheme.

Regards,

Alistair

Fantastic build, especially for the Revell kit.

I have build that kit a couple of times, but never made one that truly satisfied me. Probably go for the Authentic Airliner version next.