BOAC Boeing 747-436 in 1/144

I present my Revell Boeing 747-436 G-BYGC in the retro livery BOAC to commemorate 100 Years of British Airways.

I have always had a soft spot for the 744, ever since I went to LHR as a child and watched them fizz over my head on the approach to 27R... she is an awesome piece of engineering to see up close. 

The kit was OOB, with the decals from Ray at 26Decals and Authentic Airlines for the windows and cockpit decals. The RR engines were kindly given to me by a fellow modeller on this forum, for which I am very grateful for 😃. It was the ‘Iron Maiden’ version of the kit, which I wasn’t ever keen on making. The kit itself is very tired now, and the fit isn’t the best... it required an awful lot of filler particularly around the lower section of the fuselage and where the wing box section meets the fuselage. It’s such a shame as this lovely giant is slowly fading away as Airlines seek to replace her with more modern and eco efficient aircraft.

The paints used for this model were Halfords appliance white for the upper fuselage, Halfords Racking Grey for the lower fuselage, wings and stabilisers. The coroguard sections is a lightened version of Revell 374, with various Revell Aqua acrylics making up the metals. The decals are absolutely stunning and really bring this model to life, complimented with the AA Windows.

I have a few more projects on the go at the moment, and I just recently brought the Revell 773 kit to make ANA’s Star Wars BB-8 livery.

I can only hope that I have done this lovely aircraft justice... as always thank you for looking and any constructive feedback and comments are always welcomed.

Regards,

Alistair

BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144 BOAC BA B747-436 in 1/144

49059975567_6b3a088bb2_b.jpg

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 63

4 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

RR engines were kindly given to me by a fellow modeller on this forum, for which I am very grateful for 😃.....It’s such a shame as this lovely giant is slowly fading away......I can only hope that I have done this lovely aircraft justice... 

RR engines.... not a problem. They definitely went to a good home.

Fading away....Yes it is a great shame.

Justice....Of course you have done it justice, I didn't expect anything less.

Bravo Sir!

• Thanks 1

Hi Alistair.

Great to see the finished result after the tempting preview in your "BEA" A319 thread. Congratulations on an excellent model in a beautiful scheme. It's hard to believe that this is the swan song of an aircraft which seems to have been around forever.

I've never built the Revell B744 but I've always had trouble with the belly section of the A330/340 so I imagine your problems were a sort of exponential increase on that. I have one A330 in particular where there is almost as much Milliput as plastic and I just accept it as a fact of modelling life. Actually, it's not the filling and sanding I mind as much as the re-scribing which is my least favourite modelling job by a long distance!

Along with Ian I'm probably one of the greatest advocates of Authentic Airliners windows and your last photo shows just how good they are - it's hard to believe that a two-dimensional decal can give such a convincing three-dimensional effect.

Looking forward to your next model

Dave G

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

RR engines.... not a problem. They definitely went to a good home.

Fading away....Yes it is a great shame.

Justice....Of course you have done it justice, I didn't expect anything less.

Bravo Sir!

Thank you very much. I am glad it turned out ok, as when I started it I didn’t ever think it would look ok with how the kit went together. 

Regards,

Alistair 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Oh yes! I love this one, I saw it at RIAT in the summer flying in formation with the Red Arrows, magnificent!

Definitely your best yet, well done!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Thank you, I hope I can see it up close one day... I’m really jealous that you got to see that. She is one of my favourite models I’ve ever made...

Regards,

Alistair

11 hours ago, Moa said:

Very nice, Alistair!

Beautiful model.

You have to re-surface that tarmac. though, or your plane may start having taxiing issues...

Thank you 😀. Yeah I agree about the tarmac haha, she may run in to some issues taxiing. 

11 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alistair.

Great to see the finished result after the tempting preview in your "BEA" A319 thread. Congratulations on an excellent model in a beautiful scheme. It's hard to believe that this is the swan song of an aircraft which seems to have been around forever.

I've never built the Revell B744 but I've always had trouble with the belly section of the A330/340 so I imagine your problems were a sort of exponential increase on that. I have one A330 in particular where there is almost as much Milliput as plastic and I just accept it as a fact of modelling life. Actually, it's not the filling and sanding I mind as much as the re-scribing which is my least favourite modelling job by a long distance!

Along with Ian I'm probably one of the greatest advocates of Authentic Airliners windows and your last photo shows just how good they are - it's hard to believe that a two-dimensional decal can give such a convincing three-dimensional effect.

Looking forward to your next model

Dave G

Hi Dave,

I finally got round to finishing it, been hectic with the run up to Christmas and with work etc haha... I am pleased with the final finish in the end. She may not be perfect but that’s not the be all and end all.

That’s really funny about it having more milliput than plastic, this is probably the same. It’s a constant fill and sand then refill and sand. It’s the lower undercarriage section, it’s just not a very nice fit... I think an updated version of it would be good. 

I agree totally about the AA decals, I think they are incredible and can’t imagine anything else now... they really add that extra bit of detail to the model, and like you rightly said, a 2D decal adding such depth is amazing. Thank you for your kind comments. I have no idea what I’ll post next in RFI with the number of projects I’m working on. I have made a start on the ANA BB-8 773, just have to wait for the decals to arrive from 8Adecals.

Regards,

Alistair

5 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Very nice , your going to need a bigger base.....

Thank you, yeah definitely damn the large models haha... my baby buses look so small in comparison...

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

A lovely result Alistair, and a nice collection of BA retro jets, just the Landor 747 to go! :D

:thumbsup:

Thank you, yeah that is very tempting although not with this kit lol... 😂

• Like 1

Very nice as usual, Alistair...and especially photographed with the retro fleet...just looks great. I love this livery on the -400, and like everyone else, I lament too over her retirement. You've discovered now that the AA windows lend a bit of realism and detail to the finished model...glad you are using them...makes your build look really nice. I've built the Revell 747-400, and like you, had some fit issues with the wing box to fuselage. I also struggled with the wings being too "droopy," causing the BraZ P&W engines I used to nearly touch the tarmac. After a lot of trimming and sanding on the pylons, and curing after joining the wings to the fuselage at the proper dihedral, everything turned out alright. Takes a great deal of patience...and persistence for this bird. So after my own experience with this particular model, I more deeply appreciate YOUR work. Practice, practice, practice, makes for better modelling over time. And you are definitely showing and proving that to all of us who are following your builds. :clap:

• Thanks 1

Beautiful and a delight to see in 1/144. I think your covering paragraph pretty much summarises the kit and it is a shame that no new -400 has been released on the market on the lower priced kit market. I have the AA -400 resin kit to use for my set of BOAC decals from Ray but I am not quite ready to put another -400 into production just yet.

A great build there and well deserved top marks

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

but I am not quite ready to put another -400 into production just yet.

John, how about converting the Zvezda 747-8 to a -400? It's not really that difficult, I know your skills are up to the task!

Cheers,

Ian

On 15/11/2019 at 00:19, Challenger350Pilot said:

Very nice as usual, Alistair...and especially photographed with the retro fleet...just looks great. I love this livery on the -400, and like everyone else, I lament too over her retirement. You've discovered now that the AA windows lend a bit of realism and detail to the finished model...glad you are using them...makes your build look really nice. I've built the Revell 747-400, and like you, had some fit issues with the wing box to fuselage. I also struggled with the wings being too "droopy," causing the BraZ P&W engines I used to nearly touch the tarmac. After a lot of trimming and sanding on the pylons, and curing after joining the wings to the fuselage at the proper dihedral, everything turned out alright. Takes a great deal of patience...and persistence for this bird. So after my own experience with this particular model, I more deeply appreciate YOUR work. Practice, practice, practice, makes for better modelling over time. And you are definitely showing and proving that to all of us who are following your builds. :clap:

Thank you very much... it does require a lot of patience to build this kit. I know exactly what you mean about the dropping wings... I think having them mounted to the wing box would be better with the cut away sections for the middle landing gear. I am in love with the AA decals, like you said they bring an extra element of realism to the build... thank you again for all the kind and positive feedback 😀.

Alistair

On 15/11/2019 at 13:09, Gimme Shelter said:

Beautiful and a delight to see in 1/144. I think your covering paragraph pretty much summarises the kit and it is a shame that no new -400 has been released on the market on the lower priced kit market. I have the AA -400 resin kit to use for my set of BOAC decals from Ray but I am not quite ready to put another -400 into production just yet.

A great build there and well deserved top marks

Thank you 😀. Yeah I agree, I would have though it would have been. I do like the AA range of airliners, just got to save my pennies to get one. I would love to do a B757 or A330 one day. They are lovely decals to work with. Thank you again 👍🏻.

Alistair