Experience with Eduard/Trumpeter Mig-23?

Curt B

Hi All,

I am really interested in building a MIG-23, and I have had great success with 1/48 Eduard kits up to now.  I know that the Eduard MIG-23 uses Trumpeter plastic, and I wonder if anyone has any experience in building this particular kit, and if so, what your opinions of it might be.  I haven't built any Trumpeter kits, thus have no opinion on them one way or the other.  I'd like an unbiased opinion about how this kit goes together.  I'm not so much interested in accuracy, as much as I am about  how well the parts fit, and whether there is a need for any heavy duty work with sanding and/or filling to address gaps.  Thoughts, anyone?

Are you asking about the BN or ML/MF.

I saw this on the BN from the DN model Blog;

MiG-23BN is a derivative of the sweep wing fighter jet MiG-23, being altogether very beautiful and very controversial at the same time. This plane was a symbol for couple generations of one of the sides of the Iron Curtain, however never made good name for itself, due to its poor fighting performance in real life. Although very capable, fast, agile and with very responsive engine, MiG-23 was never even close to the fame of MiG-21. It served shortly, especially compared with the famous Fishbed and proved to be a burden when it comes down to maintenance and expenses for a flight hour. With that said, everybody who flew and work with it, loved the hell out of that streamlined beast. If not anything else, as part of world’s aviation history, it deserves a ton of respect because of the sweep wing technology,and it was definitely a milestone for Mikoyan.

Eduard already released a fighter version in a form of a Limited Edition kit, repacking Trumpeter’s latest 48th scale tooling of the early variant of the fighter-interceptor version. In late 2019, the Czech company decided that they will repack the fighter-bomber version too – the BN, more widely known as “Gena, the Crocodile”. Named after a famous Soviet animated character, because of its nose, the BN was used with several air forces, one of which was of course: Czechoslovakian.

Eduard’s decision was great in theory. However, BN released by Trumpeter is one of their worst kits ever released – full with discrepancies, wrong shapes, etc. Not only that, but Eduard didn’t even tried to alter the worst thing about the kit: its frontal part. MiG-23BN nose is what makes it distinctive and that is where Trumpeter dropped the ball and with enviable splash too.

Now, Eduard are a company that releases only nice Limited Editions, full with improvements, nice camo schemes and important alterations. Their Phantoms as well as their A-4s, F-14 /and others/ are a perfect example. However, with the MiG-23BN they made a very nasty mistake. 

The kit is practically unfixable, except if one doesn’t change the whole nose section. Which beats the purpose of it all. Did we mention that the canopy needs to be replaced too? Well, it does. Eduard never put an effort in that though. Why?

Nobody knows. Another thing Eduard missed – maybe on purpose – was that they included Soviet versions, omissing Indian and Bulgarian ones, which are more closely tied to the history of MiG-23BN. When MiG-23BN came to Bulgaria and India, in Soviet Union they were already gearing up with MiG-27. In Soviet service the plane wasn’t loved and lived relatively shortly when it comes down to active service. However, with India and Bulgaria, the case was very different. And on top of that, both countries featured very nice camouflage schemes and both of them had unusual single-tone gray MiG-23BNs in service.

It is rare to see low-lever fighter bombers to be painted in light gray, and from modeling standpoint this provides for superb weathering options as shading, chipping, worn and dirt effects. Great for an earth digger, right? But no. Eduard decided to give their respects to Czechoslovak /later Czech/ MiG-23BNs, Soviet ones /who knows why?!/ and East German air force. With the exception of Czech variants, the other two were never very tightly connected with the BN. Nobody get that tingle in the stomach when thinks of East German BN.  It is quite surprising, considering the fact that Eduard released MiG-21bis in Indian service as Limited Edition. And Indian modelers are constantly begging for more models oriented towards their area. T-90s, MiG-21s, -23s and -29s, all they are very respected and longed for by Indians. Not to mention the option to release MiG-21-93 or Bison version in a separate pack from Eduard’s nearly-perfect line of Fishbeds. Something that Eduard still can cash on. But again, big, fat NO.

Quite surprising indeed…

And in conclusion, this is probably the first time that Eduard dropped the ball with their choice. The Trumpeter kit by itself is worthless and can be fixed only if tons of modifications are made by the builder, which includes plenty of money spent for aftermarket. On top of everything, removing Bulgaria and India from the equation called “Limited Edition MiG-23BN” was another bad decision from the Czech company. But even the best companies make mistakes sometime.

With that said, we won’t provide you with pictures for that kit, besides the boxart. We think it simply isn’t worth the time nor the effort to get it and build it, except in cases when you might want to stash it and have it there just for the sake of it. Because Trumpeter’s MiG-23BN neither looks nor tastes like a real Gena the Crocodile, and lacking the nicest camo schemes seen out there, well, it all beats the purpose.

Did we mention that Cuba had those too? Yeah, this blueish Gena is not included in this kit either. And many of the MiG-23BN fans know about that famous Mikoyan parked on the US soil in Florida, freshly defected from Cuba. Well, it is not here. Instead, you can build Soviet and East German versions though.  Probably if resin nose and new canopy were offered, if not in this kit at least as a Brassin set. Just a hope for those who wants their kit to look like the real thing. Because the only thing certain about this BN release is that if you build it it won’t look like the real thing.

Thank you, but no thank you Eduard! Maybe next time!

Cold War Studio is going to release an updated version of their Mig-23BN Nose Correction set. The original set has been discontinued, unfortunately. It is a pretty extensive correction set. Here's a link to the original:

http://coldwarstudio.com/MiG-23 BN nose correction set for the Trumpeter kit in 1/48 scale product/

They are also working on corrected air intakes for Mig-23s in general and a corrected nose set for the Mig-23ML/MLD.

Aires and Eduard make resin air intakes but I don't know how much they correct any shape issues there. I am assuming that the 1/48 Mig-23 inherited the intake shape problems that the 1/32 scale kit has. (For more info on this, check on the Zactomodels site https://www.zactomodels.com/html/MiG-23/MiG-23 Intake Improvements.htm  )

Metallic Details makes a corrected Mig-23 nose cone and very nice exhaust nozzles which show the characteristic droop of the nozzle petals after shut down.

Eduard has also released a Mig-23 MF/ML kit. Comes with some resin parts, cockpit PE and extensive decals.

All in all there is a lot of aftermarket available for the Trumpeter Mig-23 line of kits. Depends on how much you are willing to spend and how much work you want to put into fixing up the kit.

Trumpeter kits usually go together very well.

Their -23 series is no exception!

Accuracy though a different story.

I have both Eduard kits and the fighter version actually replaces all the external stores sprues with Eduard ones. So detail and accuracy is also improved!

Edited by exdraken
spelling...
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Trumpeter kits usually go together very well.

Their -23 series is no exception!

Accuracy ja a different story.

Basically sums it up , and comes down to what you want out of the build and Eduard do provide a replacement in their release for the below par ejection seat in the Trumpeter plastic.

• Like 1

There is no lack of aftermarket for the  Trumpeter Mig-23 series. Aires cockpits, wheel wells, exhaust. Eduard cockpit, wheel wells, exhausts, and various PE sets. Beautiful Yahu Models colored PE cockpit instrument panels for the Mig-23MF. As I mentioned in the previous post, Metallic Details parts, Cold War Studio. As Des states, its up to you what you want to get out of the build, Trumpeter makes a number of Mig-23 versions (and Mig-27 variants, but those are a whole other story). You can get parts to improve the accuracy of some of the versions made. Despite the issues with the accuracy, you can build very impressive models from the kits.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I got the Eduard MiG-23BN kit a while back, and just took delivery of the Cold War Studio nose correction, which looks to be some lovely resin. However, the pitot is delicate and bent. Rather than me risk wrecking the thing in an attempt to straighten it out, is there a turned metal version on offer anywhere? The only MiG-23 pitots I've found in searches so far have been the common or garden tip-of-the-nosecone jobs.
Thanks in advance for any advice.