Converting the 1/48 Airfix Tropical Hurricane to BoB?

Curt B

Hi All,

I've just received two Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk. 1 Tropical model kits.  I'd been looking for the 'regular' version of this Hurricane model, but was told that the Tropical version has all the parts needed to make a 'non-Tropical' version.  I assume I've been told the truth, but now I need to know what parts needed to be changed/removed/replaced, from the kit sprues, to make a Battle of Britain version of the Hurricane instead of the 'out of the box' Tropical version.  Can anyone help me figure out what I have to do to accomplish this?  I know the decals have to be different, but I'm sure there are plenty of options for aftermarket BoB decals.  I just need to know what to do with the plastic parts to make a 'regular' Mk. I Hurricane from the Airfix Tropical kit.   Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated! PLEASE help!!!!

P.S., I've seen photos of the underside of the nose of a MkI Hurricane, a 'regular' Hurricane, that appears to have a small duct coming out underneath the engine, but this is NOT the large fully faired duct that I believe constitutes the Tropical modification.  I don't know if that small ducted part was a part of a normal Hurricane, but I've seen side photos of a Mk. I with a smooth fairing under the engine without this smaller duct, so I don't know if the duct is 'normal' or some other non-standard modification separate from the Tropical mod.  So now I'm confused.  It doesn't look like it would be terribly difficult to scratch build that smaller duct.  I've not checked the sprues to see if that duct exists in the supplied parts of the Airfix plane.  I have a few photos of the duct I'm referring to, but it's been a while since I've posted any photos in forums and as I recall, it's not an easy process; I will, however, get an image or two here if needed 😊.

Edited by Curt B

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

I don't know if that small ducted part was a part of a normal Hurricane,

Its the carburetor intake duct. It is normal on Hurricanes. I presume you mean the circled duct. 
Orc6aw5.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

You also need the alternative under engine cowling without the recess for the trop intake.

I have the BoB variant instructions in the Cave but can't get to them until tomorrow evening (I also have the Trop. Version just rising to the top of the stash)..

I'm slightly confused here by your comment on a smooth fairing without the duct.  All Hurricanes had an air duct of some kind.  The tropical filter on the Mk.I was smaller than that on the more commonly photographed Mk.II.   Is that what you are seeing?   I assume here that the Airfix kit has the correct fairing/filter.

10 hours ago, Curt B said:

I know the decals have to be different, but I'm sure there are plenty of options for aftermarket BoB decals.  I just need to know what to do with the plastic parts to make a 'regular' Mk. I Hurricane from the Airfix Tropical kit.   Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated! PLEASE help!!!!

the BoB kit instructions are here

https://www.hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/A05127-Instructions.pdf

The kit allows you to build the commonest variant,  the Spitfire Rotol propeller version.  It is possible to fit either set of blades to either spinner.... I have seen a couple of models done like this....  :fraidnot:

read this for for more

most of the decals are the same,  the roundels and stencils are the same.  Plenty of AM sheets, but check them, older ones are not always accurate. 

this is a scan of a camo guide

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

read it, it's a very useful.

in particular note the roundel positioning, especially the upperwing, I see these in the wrong place on models far too often.

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

I recommend this build, for problem fixing

Note,  very precision of the fit can cause problems, you need to be very careful about aligning interior parts. 

HTH

• Like 1

What Troy said above.

Its a nice kit but test fit everything and get as much of it glued together as possible in the cockpit before committing to paint.

Dont ask me how I know😀

Look forward you seeing your build.

James

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its the carburetor intake duct. It is normal on Hurricanes. I presume you mean the circled duct. 
Orc6aw5.jpg

Corsair, yes, sir, that is exactly the part I was referring to.

• Like 1

@ Troy and franky: Thanks for your comments and the amount of work you did digging up all that info for me.  I am usually a meticulous dry-fitter, so that aspect is fully covered 😊     

Regarding decals, I should be getting my new Silhouette Cameo 4 machine today, and plan to use it to create masks.  I would think that  creating masks for Brit roundels, of whatever size, would be easy to do, even for a newbie to the Silhouette.   Of course, having decals to use as a guide to create the masks would be, I’m guessing, easier than using just numbers.   A very genuine thank you, to you guys, and everyone who helped by responding to my request!!

Edited by Curt B
  • Like 1