What color were German bombs?

JPuente54

I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time. And, yes, I know that RLM 70, 66, and 02 were used for most with RLM 76 also used. But for which bombs and types? Were armor-piercing, painted a different color(s) than high explosives? And others were painted what colors? Back in the '70s there was a magazine in the USA(can't remember the name) which published an article about bombs used by the USAAF/USAF/USN and the USMC. It said the colors for the main explosive(OD and Yellow band)) and the colors used to show the type(HE, practice, etc.). It is a system that was started in the WW1 time and still in force. And, is extended to the munitions used by the US Army as well as the US Navy(the 16 inch HC(high explosive) rounds are OD with a Yellow band). The article also had silhouettes of the bombs used. I have not seen a similar article for any of the Air Forces used by the Allies or Axis services; or for any used in the Cold War and modern period. I believe that this is good information to tell others. Thanks

Joe

As far as I know, the small bombs were paint in 02, with the others carried externally in the colours of the aircraft undersides.  Much like the US and UK, details such as explosive content and fusing were painted on using a colour code, I believe in the form of bands on the fins.  Sorry I've no more details.

PS in Cosford Museum, the Hs293 was in 65 and the Fritz-X was in 76.

Edited by Graham Boak

Great link, @Rich B- thanks for sharing it. As Graham stated, I also have read that Luftwaffe bombs were finished in 02, 65, or 76- for what it's worth. BTW, the US ordnance article JPuente was referring to was from the old Replica in Scale modeling magazine; I have that issue and in addition to color and detail notes and photos, there were black silhouettes of the major bomb/depth charge types in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32 scales. Volume 2, no. 3-4, spring and summer, 1974. As an  aside, there was also am article on modeling Sabre variants, including  scale drawings and conversion details- bear in mind there weren't very many kits out there in 1974. Too bad @Sabrejet wasn't around when we really needed him!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

Hello all,

our air force operated Junkers Ju-88s during the war. Those bombs delivered by the German Luftwaffe (500 kg and 1000 kg) were painted with light blue (RLM 65?) with red stencils giving the details about the bomb type, nominal weight and so on.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Printscale produces decals sets for German ordnance with some good accompanying documentation. Here's a sample:

spacer.png

The type of ordnance was typically identified with coloured striped between the fins,

Review article with more here: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/september/new-releases/decal_ps48014.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rich B thanks, I knew this site has some details; but, often just has a "color band" mention and no other details. @72modeler that's the magazine and issue to which I was referring to in my posting! I have this in a box in my garage somewhere. @Crimea River, @dogsbody, @Antti_K, have also added great info. It appears that the Luftwaffe used the band colors to provide the information on the bomb's type and function. It seems the information is there; but, is in different locations. This helps fill in a lot of "blanks" when painting the munitions that was used by the Germans in WW2.

Joe

• Like 1