Italeri Su34 Fullback double build

I got bought the Italeri SU34 Fullback as a present, then promptly won another one on a model show tombola. So, now I have a plan.

I'm going to do one as the Paris Air Show demonstrator - all clean and shiny without any weapons, and the other as an operational Black Duck - a bit grubby and armed up to the teeth.

First impressions are favourable. The kit looks reasonably detailed with faintly recessed panel lines and mating the two fuselage halves would suggest that I don't need another tube of filler.

Two striking difference between the newer and older boxings are the improved quality of decals and instructions, specifically for the paint. None of the old black and white with various different densities of hatching and dots.

P1030285.jpg

P1030287.jpg

P1030290.jpg

P1030293.jpg

P1030294.jpg

• Like 5

nice project!

please do not forget to fill the panel line on the nose radome. they were only present on some radar-less prototypes. (your Paris Air Show example could qualify though! - check references)

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress...

The kit(s) fit together rather well compared to other Italeris. A bit of a seam to sort out aft of the wings and a couple of sink marks, but other than that the only filler has been to obliterate the panel lines on the nose of the combat version.

Added what will probably prove to be unnecessary nose weight and a bit of what will also prove to be unnecessary cockpit detail.

P1030303.jpg

P1030305.jpg

P1030304.jpg 

Onwards!

Without wishing to jinx the whole endeavour the kits are flying together (no pun intended). Just a smear of filler needed around the canopy and at the root of the vertical stabilisers, but other than that the fit has been excellent.

I had an almost laugh out loud "Italeri Moment™" with seats. They have supplied a beautiful 5 piece decal for the harnesses, but no instruction as to how to assemble them. I had a look on line and the decals in any combination were no reflection of the real thing, so I just stuck 'em on in a manner that looked good to me. Also the position of the pitots is rather vague, so they just got whacked on where they looked "right".

P1030321.jpg

P1030319.jpg

P1030320.jpg

Paris Prototype on the right, operational Black Duck in the middle and a Flanker with a made up cammo scheme on the left. This one was one of my first builds in 30 years and was brush painted. It was also me first ever Italeri and I vowed never to make another again! 

P1030318.jpg

50 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I think that the black one just looks evil. Pure, science fiction evil.

su34-black.jpg

I've also just noticed that it isn't black, but a very dark grey with black around the cockpit.

That color is generally referred to as "Aubergine".

• 4 weeks later...

Had a bit of time to myself.

P1030740.jpg

My raffle win kit was missing and undercarriage door, so I've made one from platicard. Luckily it was a flat one with no detail. Had it been one of the curved ones I would have been stuffed.

Tamiya X-14 Blue is a lovely colour, but what a pig to put on! If it doesn't dry inside 30 seconds it starts to separate and it has played havoc with my airbrush. Not Humbrol Hemp levels of havoc, but I have still had to learn to strip, clean and rebuild my airbrush with the precision of a terrorist with an AK47.

Not sure if it is the right shade of blue, but 1) I don't care and 2) I'm a bit colour blind so I don't care a bit more.

Looking forward to doing the Aubergine top colour as it will be matt based, so it should go on easily.

Onwards!

3 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Had a bit of time to myself.

P1030740.jpg

My raffle win kit was missing and undercarriage door, so I've made one from platicard. Luckily it was a flat one with no detail. Had it been one of the curved ones I would have been stuffed.

Tamiya X-14 Blue is a lovely colour, but what a pig to put on! If it doesn't dry inside 30 seconds it starts to separate and it has played havoc with my airbrush. Not Humbrol Hemp levels of havoc, but I have still had to learn to strip, clean and rebuild my airbrush with the precision of a terrorist with an AK47.

Not sure if it is the right shade of blue, but 1) I don't care and 2) I'm a bit colour blind so I don't care a bit more.

Looking forward to doing the Aubergine top colour as it will be matt based, so it should go on easily.

Onwards!

Looking good so far even with your paint troubles. For future reference Vallejo has come out with some nice flanker colours that look the part and go on quite well. Might be worth trying if you’ve been put off x-14 for life :P

Edited by br60066
Spelling error

A combination of impatience and a MASSIVE hangover has got me to this stage.

P1030749.jpg

P1030750.jpg

Don't know if I'm happy with it or not to be honest, but a coat of gloss clear will sort it out prior to decaling.

Poor masking lead to many leaks and rework, including a good deal of Hateful Blue™.

Glad to put it away for the day.

• Like 3

Errors corrected.

Canards added, with the angle set to "threatening".

P1030751.jpg

P1030752.jpg

Hopefully the Clear will mask some of the variations in the homebrew "aubergine" as I haven't got enough left for a major respray. 

• Like 1

Black / Aubergine Duck glossed and part decalled. Can't wait to see what it looks like with a matt finish. The glossing is a bit "in your face" but it has worked as none of the decals have silvered.

Kudos to Italeri for the design of the undercarriage and doors which was way more detailed than my previous experience of their kits. although I wish they had warned me because getting it on wasn't the ten minute job that I was expecting. Perhaps the instructions should have a symbol for "pour yourself a drink and set aside 3 hours".

The tyres need another coat of paint, the seam on the front leg needs removing and I'll add the lamp lenses after the final application of clear.

All the problems with this have been my own doing. Repeatedly snapping off the pitots, canards and the starboard stabilizer, having to mix a fresh batch of Aubergine and having to touch up with Hateful Blue.

P1030852.jpg

P1030853.jpg

P1030851.jpg

In a laugh out loud moment of Italeri Italerism the beautiful decals and the fabulous instructions don't actually match up with each other. How the Hell have they managed to do that?

Anyway...

P1030854.jpg

Next up a coat of matt clear and the canopy mask off.

Alclad Matt on and I'm quite pleased, especially with the hateful Blue.

There are a couple of gremlins in the Augergine than need sanding out and repainting, but other than that I'm happy with it.

P1030869.jpg

P1030872.jpg

P1030871.jpg

Next up I need to make some progress on the Cammo one, then I'll come back to this for the weapons and the ladder.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

P1030874.jpg

It is a mean looking thing.

Very pleased with some aspects of it and utterly annoyed with myself on others. 

Looks like a lovely build to me. The work you've done in the cockpit really adds to it.

That's model building for you. Endlessly frustrating at times but rewarding when it all comes together 🙂

Before starting on the blue version I thought I had better brush up (forgive the pun) on my camo as it has been 2 years since I've done something other than a grey jet. Therefore I grabbed the cheapest thing from the stash to use as a paint mule

Enter the SMER Hawker Tempest MkV.

What a cracking little kit! So much for it being a cheap test piece. I suppose that I had better do it justice.

P1030891.jpg

Please note that I have done the spinner in Hateful Blue™.

I have to confess that at the Bolton Model Show this morning I did find myself almost purchasing a third Fullback. I can only put this lunacy down to being stood in the cold for too long. I saw sense and put it back in favour of the £5 Italeri Saab Grippen that I had seen earlier, but on my return it had gone. Still, I returned home with my head held high because I didn't have to sneak any suspicious boxes up to one of the stashes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tempest finished and I'm quite pleased with it, but as an exercise in airbrushing camouflage it was a bit of a failure. I bet the 50% of it ended up brush painted.

Once more into the stash...

P1030925.jpg

Nice kit. Undercarriage is a little flimsy though.