Focke Wulf F19a "Ente", 1/72nd Planet Models resin, with tweaks

27 minutes ago, billn53 said:

The silbergrau looks very nice. How did you do that (having a few kits in my stash that will need it)? Did you mix that yourself, or was it “off the shelf”?

- Bill

Hi Bill

Home-made brew, all model Model Master: gloss white and chrome silver, more or less half and half, and a drop of hellblau and kure naval arsenal IJN.

No precise quantities, I made a mix, tried, adjusted, etc.

I think it can work with other brands too (I would like to try with Humbrol, when I have the patience).

From the same bottle, last time it came a beautiful barely glossy satin (may be a year ago), and this time just satin, so may be it "aged"? (well mixed, well sealed, same thinner, same airbrush, same pressure). In any case varnishes can be applied to get the shine where you want it.

I never measure paint mixes, I just work dynamically (I am a visual artist). Problem is, it's never exactly the same 😉

Hope this is a good guide.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If this kit is ever re-issued, they better correct the many obvious flaws of it.
I just added the landing gear. Even knowing that the kit is iffy regarding precision -to say the least-, I didn't check the positions already marked in the fuselage and engine gondolas for the various elements and ended up with something that only vaguely resembles reality. The "V" that attaches to the fuselage (horizontal braces) should be about 5mm back (if you pay any attention to photos, which the designer did not, apparently) and the "V" is also short in span, making the oleo legs lean-in. So the whole geometry is off, something you realize after painfully gluing everything with superglue (it's resin).
Why, thanks once more, Planet. Yank everything off? nah, will break the parts, mar the finish and force me to come up with even more creative expletives.
I mean, as modelers, we know that  most kits will need some help here and there to render the model we desire, but to check and modify almost every part is asking a bit too much.
Sigh....

IMG_7183+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 3

Must have been done by the same kit designer responsible for the wing/strut geometry of Roden’s Fokker DVII.  Still, the model looks great and if you hadn’t let on few of us would be any the wiser.  But then you are a modeller of very high standards.

AW

• Like 1

Impressive Moa, as usual.

We, as human beings, are imperfect by nature. But we can still endeavour an endless quest for perfection. Every time I see you at work with these little gems, I think that you are among  the very fews  close to that perfection.

I can’t imagine the fragility of this particular Model.

Cheers,

Alejandro.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alejandro Martinez Colombres said:

Impressive Moa, as usual.

We, as human beings, are imperfect by nature. But we can still endeavour an endless quest for perfection. Every time I see you at work with these little gems, I think that you are among  the very fews  close to that perfection.

I can’t imagine the fragility of this particular Model.

Cheers,

Alejandro.

Hi Alejandro

You are giving me way too much credit , far more than I deserve for sure.

My models are flawed, sometimes with little blemishes and others with big faults.

I was just thinking days ago, looking at them, that there is not a single one about which I would say "OK, this one came out very well".

I am not being falsely modest, it is true. A glue spot there, a little crack here, a slight miss-alignment somewhere else, a spot of putty I missed, and on and on and on.

Always, invariably.

Skills and tricks go up with time, vision and dexterity in frank decline.

Wherever it is that those curves intersect, they do not produce perfection, VERY FAR from it.

I always think "the next one", but it never happens.

Thanks, though, for your nice -and undeserved- words.

Modelling Sisyphus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Alejandro

You are giving me way too much credit , far more than I deserve for sure.

My models are flawed, sometimes with little blemishes and others with big faults.

I was just thinking days ago, looking at them, that there is not a single one about which I would say "OK, this one came out very well".

I am not being falsely modest, it is true. A glue spot there, a little crack here, a slight miss-alignment somewhere else, a spot of putty I missed, and on and on and on.

Always, invariably.

Skills and tricks go up with time, vision and dexterity in frank decline.

Wherever it is that those curves intersect, they do not produce perfection, VERY FAR from it.

I always think "the next one", but it never happens.

Thanks, though, for your nice -and undeserved- words.

Modelling Sisyphus

I see your point, Moa. We never end learning in life. And that has to do with the eternal search for “perfection”. On the other hand, there are the inconvenients related  to ageing.

As Ringo Bonavena used to say: “Experience is a comb you are given when  you get bold “.

50 minutes ago, Moa said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Rather Sisyphus than Tantalus.  At least us modellers get the fun of rolling that rock up the hill...

Yes. Again and again. It is the life we have chosen to live, isn’t it? Modelling is an activity  that makes you start from a new begining over an over and not always arriving to an end (in my case, at least ). But we are stuborn by nature.

Edited by Alejandro Martinez Colombres
To support an idea.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Decaling begins. The carrier is wonderfully thin and the decals behave fantastically.
Unbeknownst to some modelers (and all manufacturers) there was a lettering present on the belly, associated with the decals presented in kits:

IMG_7714+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The sheet even provides the rectangular meshed air intakes at the top of the nacelle:

IMG_7715+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Work progresses steadily thanks to the quality of the sheet:

IMG_7716+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Moa said:

Unbeknownst to some modelers (and all manufacturers) there was a lettering present on the belly

Focke-Wulf thoughtfully answering the question of ground based observers who would otherwise be asking “what on earth is that?” as it flew over.

AW

• Haha 3

With all decals applied without a hitch and set, the ancillary parts can go on (props, exhausts, door, rigging):

IMG_7718+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The model is ready, but the weather now doesn't favor outdoors photography.
When conditions are right, I will do the usual photo session and post the results as a completed model thread:

IMG_7719+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5