Focke Wulf F19a "Ente", 1/72nd Planet Models resin, with tweaks

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Don't know how I missed this. I think I must have seen Focke Wulf...and turned off. Anyway, I'm here now, caught up and used all my 'likes', so nobody else will be getting them today. As usual, your threads are very informative and fascinating to read, great stuff. You obviously must have exquisite resin kit after a little knock to Dujin, I'm still filling my ruddy wings and their pinholes on my Caudron racer! Good work Moa.

Stuart 

You are super-kind, Stuart.

Don't Despair on your Dujin, -although both begin suspiciously with D- 😉

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

several sessions are necessary to get a decent surface:

IMG_7081+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_7082+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The wings are glued to the fuselage. It would have been perhaps more practical to have the whole wing in one piece in the masters for the kit, solving the dihedral and avoiding cumbersome pinning.

It would have made life much, much easier. Then the fin and then rudder (the latter as one piece). The break down on the kit doesn't lend itself to an easy build:

IMG_7083+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Each to his or her own, I say.  After all, taking the Marklo “fewer than 100” rule to its logical extreme would mean that we had a forum full of ‘Luft 46’ paper aircraft that were never built and/or never flew (and in some cases - yes, I am looking at you, Herr Triebflügel - never could have flown remotely safely as depicted).  At which point I’d have to find myself a new forum, pronto.  

[There is also the issue that many designs that were relatively widespread in real life are persistently ignored by kit manufacturers - but that’s a different hobby horse of mine that fully deserves to stay safely in its pasture for the winter.]

Loving the Ente, Moa.  What was that.... uhhh.. vertical lump thingy underneath the wings for?  Nowt wrong with canards as such, as you say (and this design appears to solve quite a few C of G challenges in a very neat manner)... but lookout must have been something of a challenge for the pilot, what with that large foreplane right in the eye-line!

Triebflugel ??

Do you already have a cunning plan bout the Twin Triebflugel ??

Mainly the gear box to synchronize the now six rotor blades ??

I told the Martian that your expertise was badly needed :cheers:

Excellent job Moa,

trying to ave rules here in BM ?? 

With the ragged band of irregulars and other Blackburn's design enthusiast that attend here ??? :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I really love that canard planes...

Keep up that great job !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Triebflugel ??

Do you already have a cunning plan bout the Twin Triebflugel ??

Mainly the gear box to synchronize the now six rotor blades ??

I told the Martian that your expertise was badly needed :cheers:

It was utterly impractical with 3 blades, so I guess 6 wouldn’t make it any less science fiction...

• Haha 2

On 14/11/2019 at 08:48, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Each to his or her own, I say.  After all, taking the Marklo “fewer than 100” rule to its logical extreme would mean that we had a forum full of ‘Luft 46’ paper aircraft that were never built and/or never flew (and in some cases - yes, I am looking at you, Herr Triebflügel - never could have flown remotely safely as depicted).  At which point I’d have to find myself a new forum, pronto.  

[There is also the issue that many designs that were relatively widespread in real life are persistently ignored by kit manufacturers - but that’s a different hobby horse of mine that fully deserves to stay safely in its pasture for the winter.]

Loving the Ente, Moa.  What was that.... uhhh.. vertical lump thingy underneath the wings for?  Nowt wrong with canards as such, as you say (and this design appears to solve quite a few C of G challenges in a very neat manner)... but lookout must have been something of a challenge for the pilot, what with that large foreplane right in the eye-line!

PM Sent.

Martian 👽

On 11/14/2019 at 12:48 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

What was that.... uhhh.. vertical lump thingy underneath the wings for?

Sorry, missed this question:

They are fins, i.e. additional vertical area, due to the relatively ineffective fin, too close to the CG to be really efficient.

Those additional fins were vastly used in many other canard designs (some for which I posted links in the thread already).

In this case they have a slight toe-in.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pin said:

Looking great so far (as usual) !

Maybe a bit too late, but have you seen this build?

http://i-am-modelist.com/2012/09/10/focke-wulf-fw-19-ente/

Made by Alexander Nevzorov, a guy who takes accuracy very seriously too. 

Splendid model indeed, Pin.

beautifully built.

still, the plane never had those chord-long black stripes as explained above , and the modeler did not correct the window misalignment.

The plane used registrations also on top and below the wing, absent in the kit and absent in the model.

The rigging of the stab on top should be spread out, and the props do not show on photos lamination, rather a wood hub and a fabric layer (or light color paint) on the front of the blades.

The windshield wasn't as spread out, but narrower and more pointy, and he used the kit's nose wheel yoke, which is inaccurate.

All those details can be easily seen here (and other newsreel clips, posted early in the thread):

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-duck-plane-aviations-latest

That's why research is so important, besides modeling skills.

But I wish I can obtain that superb finish and tidiness, since it is undeniably an absolutely charming model, he did a truly admirable job, regardless.

Cheers

• Like 1

While I agree with your points it must be taken into account that this model was built more than 10 years ago when much of the information you are referring to was not freely available. 

Having this kit in my stash I used to think that Alexander's model is going to be a benchmark when I dare to build it, now it seems like I have a new beacon to follow so I'm watching with great interest - keep it up!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pin said:

model was built more than 10 years

I absolutely agree.

It happens to all, new information comes that reveals things that make our models a bit off.

The best we can do is to build it as best as we can with what we have, which this modeler surely did.

The point is that we shouldn't base our models in someone else's models, or blindly following the kit instaructions, but in our own research, when possible, because we can all make mistakes.

Cheers

• Like 2

Even after some shaving and sanding the resin struts for the fore plane were a bit too hefty and out of scale, so I made new ones from Strutz (Thanks John and Andrew!):

IMG_7105+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The new fore struts are glued in place.
The elevators are added to the fore plane, not an easy task, so my hat goes off to those that have done it before:

IMG_7106+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

Ailerons are glued on, and other parts are painted:

IMG_7107+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The Schwartz props that the Ente used at the time it is being represented -depending on the time other types are seen in photos- had white dots, two and one respectively at either side of the hub. I haven't been able to find out what their function was. The Schwartz logo are leftovers from a sheet from Arctic Decals for my Darmstadt D.18 that used the same brand of props:

IMG_7108+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

And now, things are ready for the airbrushing of the main parts. Four tones can be discerned: an overall aluminum hue (which in German planes of that era is sometimes associated with a grayish tinge), shinier metal parts (nose cone, gondolas), dull metal (top of wing in engine areas) and dark metal fuel tank covers:

IMG_7114+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

You’re probably right, I did see a 109a build on the forums recently citing the colour as silberweiss but tbh I wasn’t convinced it looked too much like bare aluminium to me. ( I’m keeping the I apparently the discoverer of aluminium retrospectively renamed it to aluminium)