Heller 1/72 Alouette III Irish Air Corps

Hi all and a little egg-beater from Heller just finished for the 'In The Year I Was Born" GB here on Britmodeller.

This a/c 195 (along with 196) were the first helicopters to enter service with the Helicopter Flight of the Irish Air Corps on November 25th, 1963 and operated in the SAR, Air Ambulance, army co-op and emergency relief roles until 2007. It's a credit to the crews and maintenance teams that 6 of the 7 machines still in service in 2007 were airworthy on their last day of ops, 44 years on.

195 is finished as she looked in June 1968, a month before my quiet arrival into the world 👶

The canopy and rotor fit weren't great and some of the finer parts are a little big but did my best with them. The build thread (and some classic 60's home-move footage of 195 in action that Summer) is here but to recap:

Kit: Heller 1/72 Alouette III 'Securite Civile' boxing

Build: OOB except for tape for belts and tea-bag mesh for the engine.

Paints: Revell Acrylics with an airbrush; Klear; panel line wash.

Decals: Max Decals donated by @rs2man

49051217661_51190c0398_b.jpgHeller Alouette III IAC_Done (15) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49053031128_569ee1dc16_b.jpgHeller Alouette III IAC_Done (22) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49053031133_a9018ac1ce_b.jpgHeller Alouette III IAC_Done (21) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49051431652_ee7d27dc8c_b.jpgHeller Alouette III IAC_Done (10) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49051430592_dc5f348292_b.jpgHeller Alouette III IAC_Done (17) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49050711548_a1131822f3_b.jpgHeller Alouette III IAC_Done (13) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

tea-bag mesh for the engine

Great idea!

Very nice build Dermot, love the finish and the subject.

1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

The canopy and rotor fit weren't great and some of the finer parts are a little big but did my best with them

A bloomin' good job by the look of it.

Cheers,

Nice to see it finished. As I mentioned in the build thread I remember the Alouettes in those colours. They used to fly low over my house nearly every day. I even got to fly in one eventually. 

By the time they were retired it was said they were like the proverbial sweeping brush. Five new handles, six new heads but the same brush. Rebuilt several times. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...