Monogram Predicta Show Car

TonyW

A bit of a backstory goes with this one...

Over in the 'Year I was born' Group Build I'm building a Monogram '56 Chevy.

While trying to decide on a colour scheme for the car, Tamiya metallic red with clear red over it got tried and decided against. It looked too Show Car for the Gasser I'm building. Perfect for a Predicta build though! I had a recent re-release of the kit I bought to build a year or two back. Time to get the glue and paints out then!

Here's the car in question, It's a Darryl Starbird Custom, first shown in 1960. Monogram bought the car, had it modified and issued a kit of it. I'm a collector as well as a builder and this build will sit nicely with my unbuilt kit.

IMG-0055.jpg

IMG-0056.jpg

I've made a start on the bodywork, a good flat off with 1500 W+D paper, white primer, then metallic red followed by a couple of coats of transparent red, all Tamiya spray cans. All went on over the course of today with an hour or two between coats on a radiator to harden each coat off.  So far, so good. I'll let things completely harden overnight before hitting it with a clear coat. 

IMG-0057.jpg

IMG-0053.jpg

More as it happens.

Tony.

• Like 2

It's an acquired taste, I'll give you that! 😁

The whole 60's show car scene was a real like 'em or loath 'em one. Just about all the US kit manufacturers sold them by the truckload at the time though, they were more than a bit popular. The Monogram connection swings the deal for me, I really like the company for some reason. 

Tony.