Airfix 1/72 Spitfire XIX

Hi Folks,

I started this back in March as a Britmodeller newbie and having been completely distracted by the FROG Group Build, I've finally finished it.

Spitfire PR Mk.XIX RM643/Z based at RAF Benson, the home of British WW2 photographic reconnaissance.

A few bits of info about the kit and the AM parts used in the build;

• 1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX
  • Rob Taurus replacement canopy
  • Pavla resin cockpit
  • Aires Quickboost spinner/prop blades and exhaust
  • Barracuda door and crowbar
  • Xtracolor PRU Blue gloss enamel paint, airbrushed on
  • Xtradecal transfers set
  • Barracuda stencils
  • Winsor & Newton matt acrylic varnish to finish

Dscf1592 combo

Dscf1605

The kit has come in for a fair amount of criticism over the years, but I think Airfix captured the lines of one of the best looking Spits fairly well. Obvious errors that I think are noticeable are the fairings over the Griffon engines rocker covers are too narrow, this is especially noticeable when the model sits on the shelf next to my old Fujimi Mk.XIV and the u/c legs that are too raked too far forward. There are other accuracy niggles, but I overall enjoyed the build and think it looks OK. Hope you like it.

For those who want more, the build thread is here;

Thanks for looking.

• Like 35

Thanks everybody, I'm quite overwhelmed by the responses! :blush:

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Good to see the initial, non-pressurised product run represented, too.

Thanks Joachim, but I should have mentioned, the build was a learning curve about Spitfire XIXs for me, all part of the enjoyment. But if you look carefully, you can see that I included the pressure bulkhead behind the cockpit which I don't think should be there for the early XIXs based on XIV airframes. Of course, by the time I'd figured that out it was too late to remove it. A minor niggle, all builds have them! :huh:

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks like you tones down the panel lines on the rear fuselage spine.

Well, not deliberately. But the paint (PRU blue, white and back, plus the matt finish) would have filled them a bit. The panel lines on the kit are quite pronounced and have come in for criticism, but that's what they're like.

5 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Can i ask did you thin the W&N varnish at all?

Yes, but nothing technical or expensive - tap water! Probably anywhere from 20-50%. The W&N Artists' Acrylic Matt Varnish, which was never intended for modelling purposes, is quite thick and needs considerable thinning to go through my fine nozzle airbrush. I always experiment first and then test it on the underside of the model in case it goes horribly wrong! It gives a good finish and I've used it for a couple of years. It's disadvantage when used over gloss enamel is that it can be easily scratched revealing the gloss basecoat which happened a couple of times on the Spitfire. I've just bought some Hannants Xtracrylix Matt to try it out - we'll have to see how that performs!

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done Charlie.. great to see this one finished in between a couple of rather excellent Classic Frog GB builds in between. 

That's really a beautiful XIX you've managed to put together here, the additional details have enhanced this kit big time. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Thanks 1

A really fine-looking Mk XIX!

It rather inspires me to re-inspect the box contents of my Airfix kit - still waiting in the stash.

I'd need to bring my A-game if I want it to look as good as yours.

:clap::goodjob:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

great to see this one finished in between a couple of rather excellent Classic Frog GB builds

Thanks Dave.

Those GBs are terribly addictive! But they make it hard to get on with the other builds!

I've got kits lined up for the Corsair STGB, Heller GB, Battle of Britain 80th GB (a biggie! Maybe I'll finally finish my 1/24 Airfix Spitfire?) and of course the Revell-o-Gram GB...

Must pop out and get Mrs J some flowers! :whistle:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Must pop out and get Mrs J some flowers! :whistle:

Why? She'll only think that's out of the ordinary and start thinking that you've something wrong and are trying to cover it! 

• Haha 1